Brilliant Scenes In Terrible Films

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Dark Knight Rises is easily the best Batman film ever made, on account of every other Batman film being utter shit.

giphy.gif

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

I love John Carter. It scratches the itch I have for old fashioned matinee adventure movies.

I've a running disagreement with a friend who objects to the fact that I enjoyed it more than  Dark Knight Rises which was released about the same time.

More on topic, and I'm aware I may be in the minority here, but in the cinema I really enjoyed the last 40 minutes of Transformers: Dark of the Moon. I'm aware that the preceding 90 minutes or so were awful but it's peak noisy flashy nonsense for me.

I second Dark of the Moon. Hated the second film, but where it was made for 3D the action was slowed down a bit and made it much more watchable.

• Paid Members

I have to say I am not a Nolan fan really. Loved his work up until Batman Begins. I thought the Dark Knight had some good sequences and one great performance, but the film itself, meh. Dark Knight Rises was complete tripe, although it did give the world Comedy Bane Voice (TM) so there was one good thing.

Infact, I nominate another Nolan film to this thread. Inception. The sequence where it is Leo and Ellen Page showing him the dream world and the city changing around him is quite the spectical. The film is mostly tosh though. And don't get me started on the score. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

• Paid Members

Bane's voice is like a muffled Frankie Howard. Imagine him just saying "Oooooooourrgghhh Batman".

Dark Knight Rises is utter tosh, riddled with plot holes and far too po-faced. Dark Knight was okay, but doesn't hold up to repeat viewings; take away the initial shock of just how good Heath Ledger's performance was, and you realise how much that carried the rest of the movie. So little makes sense.

My favourite bad scene - the opposite of the question posed in this thread, I know! - in Dark Knight is, while the police are trying to lure The Joker into a trap, The Joker shows up, and one of the cops says, "I never signed up for this!". Aside from it being the most clichéd line of police dialogue imaginable in a superhero movie, it's worth nothing that, given the plan was to lure out the Joker, this is the exact thing he signed up for.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ledger was great as the Joker in The Dark Knight, but not enough credit gets given to Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent. He's pretty much the backbone of that movie but gets ignored due to the circumstances and flashiness of Ledger's performance.

I have many issues with Dark Knight Rises most of which are due to awful mishandling of characters.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Don't get me wrong, I think Ledger was great as the Joker in The Dark Knight, but not enough credit gets given to Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent. He's pretty much the backbone of that movie but gets ignored due to the circumstances and flashiness of Ledger's performance.

Spot on there. I think you can argue that the film is chiefly about Harvey Dent rather than Batman or The Joker (I'm not suggesting they aren't big parts of the film obviously), he is the central character and the key plot device is the battle for his soul, and whether he can be corrupted. I think Eckhart is brilliant, a proper genuinely believable transformation to fully fledged psycho by the end as well. Ledger gets the plaudits, and rightfully so, but Eckhart really should have had more credit.

Actually just in general, Eckhart seems to be really underrated for some odd reason. Bad choices of roles maybe?

• Paid Members

Nailed it, Chest. The film is flawed up until then, but come the time they cut Bane's balls off I was done. They spend ages building up to the big Batman/Bane climax, only for us to find out Bane is a stooge - who then gets offed by Catwoman, not Batman. It was an own goal from Nolan.

It also suffers a lot from Nolan getting his characters to explain the plot and fill holes in a really silly way for the thick folk (essentially Michael Caine's role). I find it loathsome when Nolan's films do this. It was hilariously out of place in Interstellar, to the point it made me hate the film a bit.

Actually, back on topic, I thought Interstellar was a bit rubbish, but it featured a couple of cool visuals. Particularly the bit where Double M is in the tesseract. The water planet and giant tidal wave was nicely done too.

41 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I've been trying so hard to think of anything positive in the Human Centipede trilogy ... nope, nothing.

The Doctor's jawline in the first one was the strongest thing about them.  Made David Coulthard look like the tory bloke in Thunderplex's sig.

• Paid Members

I've not seen Lego Batman yet actually but if it's anything as fun as The Lego Movie it'll go straight to the number 1 spot.

W35ty - I came to that conclusion based on not being a big fan of any of the previous Batman films. They're all shit. They bore the fuck out of me, especially Batman Begins whicn I maintain is one of the most boring films I've ever seen. Then again, I've not seen Dark Knight Rises since release so maybe I'm chatting shit and it is actually also shit. 

Anyway, so as not to completely derail the thread;

The Revenant is overrated rubbish but the opening is fantastic;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbzbUj7M4E8

Interstellar is more Nolan nonsense but the scene on the water planet is great;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoGL0ANplcQ

And the only part anybody ever remembers about Jason X;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPMGmCcuMzg

• Moderators

The Wolverine film (the first one, whatever it was called), was without a doubt one of the worst films I've ever seen. However, that opening montage of him through the ages was fantastic.

Likewise the Conan film with khal drogo was total shite, but the opening set up when he was kid doing his trial was really cool.

Archived