Brilliant Scenes In Terrible Films

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I rewatched Prometheus the other night in preparation for Alien: Covenant, like a fucking mug, and it was still absolutely awful. But it still has the amazing operation scene:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IG2bicNOfo

Similarly, Alien: Covenant is largely dreadful albeit in a more entertaining way and also features one absolutely brilliant scene that's actually briefly touched on in the trailer where Katherine Waterston is hanging on to the outside of a ship.

Also, I just watched Sudden Death and it was disappointingly crap considering it was Peter Hyams, who's great, but it does feature an absolute gem of a scene with the one and only Powers Booth where he threatens to fill a little girl's mouth with spiders. Annoyingly I can't find a link to it anywhere.

Any more?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

The one I think of is the runaway train/William Tell sequence in The Lone Ranger. Ten glorious minutes that you have to wade through two hours of tosh to get to.

I'd also mention the Louisiana Gator Boys scene in Blues Brothers 2000, but that's down to the musicians they managed to gather together to play rather than anything necessarily cinematic.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The one I think of is the runaway train/William Tell sequence in The Lone Ranger. Ten glorious minutes that you have to wade through two hours of tosh to get to.

I'd also mention the Louisiana Gator Boys scene in Blues Brothers 2000, but that's down to the musicians they managed to gather together to play rather than anything necessarily cinematic.

💯 agree with this. That film is so dull but that whole finale sequence is amazing

• Paid Members

I would say the Star Wars Prequels are prime for this. The pod racing and Darth Maul v Obi and Jinn fight from episode one, the Arena battle (shamelessly ripped of from John Carter) in episode 2 and the battle scenes/fights in episode 3. The rest is mostly guff

4 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

I would say the Star Wars Prequels are prime for this. The pod racing and Darth Maul v Obi and Jinn fight from episode one, the Arena battle (shamelessly ripped of from John Carter) in episode 2 and the battle scenes/fights in episode 3. The rest is mostly guff

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Hang on, ripped off from John Carter? The film which came out years later? Or are you referring to another adaptation?

John Carter itself was based on A Princess of Mars, a story that was first published in 1917, and was serialised as Under The Moons of Mars in 1912. They were part of the Barsoom series of novels, some of which had been marked for film adaptations as far back as the 1930s, but never got off the ground until Disney got involved, first in the 1980s , which they abandoned but retained the rights, and again in the noughties when they finally made John Carter. There was supposed to be a trilogy of John Carter films, but it was a monumental flop, the sequels were cancelled and the rights have reverted back to the estate of the original authors.

Its more likely that both films drew inspiration from that rather than one film ripping off the other

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

John Carter itself was based on A Princess of Mars, a story that was first published in 1917, and was serialised as Under The Moons of Mars in 1912. They were part of the Barsoom series of novels, some of which had been marked for film adaptations as far back as the 1930s, but never got off the ground until Disney got involved, first in the 1980s , which they abandoned but retained the rights, and again in the noughties when they finally made John Carter. There was supposed to be a trilogy of John Carter films, but it was a monumental flop, the sequels were cancelled and the rights have reverted back to the estate of the original authors.

Its more likely that both films drew inspiration from that rather than one film ripping off the other

As I understood it John Carter was an adaptation of Princess of Mars as that was going to be the original title (John Carter and The Princess of Mars, Then John Carter of Mars (which is the logo they used at the end of the film) and then John Carter. The reason for the name change? Both Mission to Mars and Mars needs Moms had flopped, so Disney insisted the title change. Problem is 1) John Carter didn't mean anything to most people, it was just a name, and 2) John Carter was the co-lead character in 90s hit show "er".

Unlike Tarzan, John Carter was never that well known. It's a shame because I think the film is pretty good and could have led to further films. However, as Episode 2 showed, and to a lesser extent things like Flash Gordon, a lot of the iconic bits had already been copied so many thought this was a rip off of existing films rather then based on original source material. I reckon had it not have gone so over budget we'd have had a sequel

I love John Carter. It scratches the itch I have for old fashioned matinee adventure movies.

I've a running disagreement with a friend who objects to the fact that I enjoyed it more than  Dark Knight Rises which was released about the same time.

More on topic, and I'm aware I may be in the minority here, but in the cinema I really enjoyed the last 40 minutes of Transformers: Dark of the Moon. I'm aware that the preceding 90 minutes or so were awful but it's peak noisy flashy nonsense for me.

Archived