What just makes you SMILE?

tiger_rick

Every PPV where they show the foreign commentators and they show FUNAKI!! I love that guy!

Also, Royal Rumble 2000 when Taka Michinoku lands on his chin.

Any time Stone Cold's music hit on any show. Especially that Invasion 2001 PPV entrance though...

Top for me though is American Badass debut at Judgment Day 2000. What a fucking debut!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
14 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

The first thing that came to mind was the Vince McMahon vs Hulk Hogan match at Wrestlemania 19. I absolutely love the whole thing but these parts in particular make me postively beam:

- Hogan's sweet entrance to Hendrix

- Hugo Dumbsonofabitch (thanks Carl) getting twatted by a steel chair 

- McMahon's 'here's johnny' pose as his face is caked in blood

- Roddy bastard Piper turning up (and the crowd reaction)

- The pop when Hogan wins 

All of these things perfectly encapsulate the campy, violent daftness of wrestling for me and I'll never get tired of watching them. 

Legitimately one of my favourite ever WWE matches. Just gets the campy melodrama of WWE right in a way they rarely manage these days - nowadays a "big match" is nothing but kicking out of each other's finishers for twenty minutes, or interminably long periods of Triple H breathing heavily at a sledgehammer. Piper's return is brilliant, especially as a lifelong Piper fan, and Hogan and Vince just know how to work the cameras better than anyone. It's like a perfect storm of wrestling.

In terms of things which just make me smile in a general sense in wrestling - poison mist, any time the drop-down part of the International actually works, absurdly quick Royal Rumble eliminations.

In terms of nostalgia, it's the old mid-90s RAW intro with its incongruous sax solo. Massive grin every time. Or the old Harry Slash ECW theme.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, scaredofpoo said:

Oh yes, they remind me of putting a tape in and seeing wrestler's photos flying at the screen while the opening intro plays that music, then Vince gruffly shouting the name of the PPV.

I'll add this as well, just thinking that music in my head cheers me up.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

"So if it's bodyslams, side suplexes, clotheslines, dropkicks and powerslams that you're after..."

100% this. I have the music from the ad on my running playlist and whenever it comes on I can't help grinning. I end up going through the various shots from the advert in my head, it really encapsulates that era for me. It also makes me think of the old VHS cases for WWF videos with the catalogue on the inside of the inlay cover so I count which videos I had seen, and which I still had to get, and the blue spines on the tapes. That definitely brings a smile to my face. 

Jeff Hardy's rise up the card and world title win in 2008.

John Cena at One Night Stand 2006. He was perfect in his role that night.

Undertaker's return as the Dead Man at Mania 20, and that moment Bearer's voice rings out at the start of the match.

I have to echo a few others, Running Up That Hill, the genuis of Bobby Heenan, and Canadian Stampede.

Finally, Drew Carey's reception when he's at Mania having gone into the Hall of Fame. Just for keeping that cheesy grin whilst clearly thinking 'what the hell am I doing here?' as an entire stadium boos him.

A more recent one; Lesnar/Goldberg at WM33. All the shit these two got when people got hurt that they were going to be in the main event and stink up the joint. Then after the match, everyone loved it.

A reminder that not all is bad in current WWE.

• Paid Members

Recent ones are only really from Lucha Underground. Everytime Pentagon breaks someones arm or does the zero fear finger thing. When Dario Cueto says "I love violence!". Mil Muertes's punches.

One moment from back in the day, when Kane and X-Pac as the super best friends were my absolute favourites. Undertaker was attempting to seduce Kane back to the dark side to enlist his help in winning the title back from Steve Austin. Kane looked like he was going to turn. Undertaker chokeslams X-Pac without Kane's knowledge. Kane walks off with Undertaker leaving X-Pac behind before seeing a replay on the titantron of Undertaker chokeslamming X-Pac. Kane looks at X-Pac, turns to the Undertaker and chokeslams the fuck out of him. Then on the ramp, X-Pac comes to, see's Undertaker laying out cold in the ring, and gives Kane a big ol' hug. He chose X-Pac! The crowd and 11 year old me go absolutely fucking mental and I smiled for the rest of the day. Proper bloody story telling, that.

I particularly enjoy Vince McMahon's 'we need the old Stone Cold!' promo from Invasion time.

it cracks me up. "do you want to knock me on my ass NOW?!" "give me a stunner, damnit!"

I also like the promo pre Rumble 2000 where Foley turns from Mankind into Cactus Jack, purely by taking his white shirt off. Triple H looks like he's seen a ghost, and the crowd go mental.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Ricc1PW said:

I particularly enjoy Vince McMahon's 'we need the old Stone Cold!' promo from Invasion time.

it cracks me up. "do you want to knock me on my ass NOW?!" "give me a stunner, damnit!"

There's a ton of Invasion era stuff that makes me smile. Blassie rising from his chair, Undertaker rallying the troops, Heyman's "shoot" promo on Vince...for all the bollocks that storyline gave us, there's some gold in there.

The music to the early SNME's and the music to Wrestling Challenge and Superstars in 87.

Stone Colds return to Stun Shane 3 times with his new music in 2000

Slicks music video and the Land of 1000 dances.

The whole Rock/Hurricane/Austin segments. At one point Rock shouts out to Austin in his truck and accuses him of smoking those funny cigerettes.

Rocks killer return promo ripping Cena. Showing everyone how its done.

• Paid Members

There was gold during the Invasion. There was an episode of Smackdown where the backstage stuff and then eventually in the ring, which focused on Stone Cold hating Debra's cookies which still makes me laugh. 

3 title wins have made me really smile - Eddie Guerrero beating Brock, Jeff Hardy finally winning the title in 08. But mostly Daniel Bryan winning at Wrestlemania. I've never been so happy for someone winning the title.

Also, every little thing Eddie did to cheat makes me smile when I watch back. 

Archived