What just makes you SMILE?

tiger_rick

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nakamura's NXT debut is a great shout. After year of supposedly great guys in a Japan coming over and being absolute shit, he walks in and effortlessly comes across like the greatest of all time. It was like watching someone from another dimension.

The Rock's backstage interviews are always brilliant. A personal favourite is when he's with these cops regarding Stone Cold getting run over, he's doing the shove it up your candy ass routine and you can see Micheal Cole corpsing in the background. I also loved the ways he'd pick on Coach and make him do this stuff. I could just watch it all day. There's so many good ones.

Ric Flair dropping the elbow on inanimate objects.

The Rock making Coach do the charleston dance (and then kicking him up the arse when he got too into it).

Cena getting his t-shirt hurled back at him at the 2006 One Night Stand (best bit is when even the security guy joins in with the "Throw it back!" chant).

• Awards Moderator
36 minutes ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

The Rock's backstage interviews are always brilliant. A personal favourite is when he's with these cops regarding Stone Cold getting run over

So much gold in this thread but this skit is so great: "write this down, you like writing things down," "squeeze all the jelly out."

Real American sends me into kid mode every time. Of recent times, I can't match Supremo's description of Daniel Bryan's rebellion. Just incredible. 

• Paid Members

Owen Hart and the 123 Kid at KOTR.

The whole match is superb, but that baseball slide must be the most rewinded clip I've ever seen.

Good shout on big, genuine pops. When something great happens, and the audience reaction is massive and heartfelt, then that's pro-wrestling perfection.

DDP as Undertaker's stalker, or Ciclope unmasking to face Chris Jericho after winning the cruiserweight battle royale are two of my favourites. 

Clearly I like a good unmasking.

• Paid Members

Could list so many but i'll go...

Probably anything notable that happened during WWF in '93. It was the cartoony era but the Year in Review tape i had of that when i was probably 12 is the wrestling tape i watched the most, i literally viewed it on a loop for months, so anything featured there would put a lovely nostalgic smile on my face.

• Paid Members

* Sid powerbombing someone into oblivion.

* The music associated with Manias 6-9, Survivors 89/90, SummerSlam 89-94, Rumble 91-93. Not precise years there probably but you'll know the ones I mean.

* The old Nitro intro. Double points if I watch the Cartoon Network outro on YouTube first.

Nostalgia, basically. Oh, and Shinsuke.

Lex Luger in 1996. Fucking hell this greatness. His facial expressions and sarky attitude toward Sting. His interview with mean gene at Uncensored. Fucking Lex Luger 😅

Anything Ric Flair does, he just IS Wrestling. His flop, when he goes to one knee and flexes then gets up and the face is waiting. His face. 

There are loads of moments that make me smile when I look back, a lot already mentioned, but if there is one wrestler guaranteed to raise a smile everytime I watch him or think about them, it's Mr Perfect.

You knew by watching him that he loved being a pro wrestler, that smile of his upon his entrance was so infectious. Thinking of him swatting his gum, catching his towel or flicking and catching his pencil all with his knowing smile never fails to make me smile. His vignettes are legendary, and just great fun to watch again and again. When you hear guys talking of him in interviews and podcasts, such as Something To Wrestle, the stories always paint him as this fun loving guy who loved life.

So whether it's watching him wrestle, cut a promo, star in a vignette, singing country music, watching him mugging off to the camera stood next to Vince on commentary, hearing stories of him from others or even just listening to his entrance music, Mr Perfect always made and still makes me SMILE.

Shawn Michaels' performance at Summerslam 2002.

Eddie winning the WWE title.

Everything Chris Jericho said in the last 9 months.

ECW One Night Stand 2005. I wasn't watching during the original run, but even 15 year old me could feel that passion.

Most recently, the Hardys return at Wrestlemania. I was there live, my first PPV, and to be there in that moment... I lost my mind, had goosebumps, had the biggest bro hug with the guy next to me... it was fucking magical.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Lex Luger in 1996. Fucking hell this greatness. His facial expressions and sarky attitude toward Sting. His interview with mean gene at Uncensored. Fucking Lex Luger 😅

Anything Ric Flair does, he just IS Wrestling. His flop, when he goes to one knee and flexes then gets up and the face is waiting. His face. 

Fuck me, this is a great shout. I loved the match with him and Sting vs American Males on Nitro, and from 91 Bagwell was always presented as "Sting's Boy", and even as they walk down the ramp when Sting isn't looking he's being a knob and when Sting can see him he's smiling and laughing and slapping fan's hands, and it continues like that during the match. Mind, Lex Luger has always been a fucking brilliant character when he fancies it. The Total Package years in 2000 and 2001 is hilarious. He's such a cunt and funny as with it. Lex Luger is great. Really great. People talk abouyt Sting all the year, but if you go for match standards he's got a better record than Sting and in 97 he was as over as Sting. See him "Racking the World" to beat Hogan. Over. massively.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, air_raid said:

* The music associated with Manias 6-9, Survivors 89/90, SummerSlam 89-94, Rumble 91-93. Not precise years there probably but you'll know the ones I mean.

Oh yes, they remind me of putting a tape in and seeing wrestler's photos flying at the screen while the opening intro plays that music, then Vince gruffly shouting the name of the PPV.

I know Real American has been mentioned a few times, but hearing Hawk roar "Ooooooh what a rush!!" will always bring a smile to my face.

It's a minor thing but Al Snow's European Champion gimmick always makes me smile, him coming down in a leather jacket with head wearing a beehive hairdo, then being announced as hailing from Greece.

The Royal Rumble where one of the Bushwhackers marches down to the ring, gets thrown out within seconds and marches out to the back in one fluid motion.  Or at 2000 Rumble where Kaientai kept running in at random intervals until Taka takes that awful faceplant to the outside.

Archived