Eurovision 2017

johnnyboy

• Paid Members

Firstly apologies for not starting a proper thread sooner, but I was mad busy over the weekend.

Semi-Final 1 - Today - 8pm - BBC4/BBC4HD

Georgia seem to be trying the Bond theme style, ala Conchita, but it lacks the required ooomph in the back end.

Latvia could be a Cheryl Cole song if you close your eyes.

Overall a very strong semi, with my overall favourite performing:

Sunstroke Project representing Moldova.  You may not know the name, but you may know Epic Sax Guy!  (Video may be a tiny bit NSFW due to ample heaving bosoms).

https://youtu.be/mvaLAs9cex4

Edited by johnnyboy

As always, I'm trying to pretend the semi-finals don't exist, because part of the Eurovision magic for me is it being a one night bubble.

But I heard our entry on The Graham Norton Show a few weeks back, and while I've always been impressed with Lucie Jones, my first impressions are that she's been saddled with yet another bland song by the GB team. No hope of winning with that, even if political voting wasn't a thing.

• Paid Members

The Greek and Swedish performances sounded a bit off.  Loved Portugal and Azerbaijan's song is really good, I can't help but think that the bonkers staging is to make it stand out.  I wanted the suited guy in a horse mask to swanton off that ladder so badly.  Fingers crossed ESG and the lads make the final!

2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

As always, I'm trying to pretend the semi-finals don't exist, because part of the Eurovision magic for me is it being a one night bubble.

But I heard our entry on The Graham Norton Show a few weeks back, and while I've always been impressed with Lucie Jones, my first impressions are that she's been saddled with yet another bland song by the GB team. No hope of winning with that, even if political voting wasn't a thing.

FWIW She's been getting rave reviews for her rehersals for the show so much so that it's been tipped as a dark horse, last I checked she was 66/1 on Skybet

• Paid Members

I hear Italy are the hot favourites, but as one of the ones that automatically qualify by bankrolling the whole thing I don't think we get to hear them until Saturday. The Semifinals are where you get to see all the "wacky" acts now, otherwise it'd take a day to get Eurovision done. It's a shame because it probably means we won't get anything like Dancing Lasha Tumbai (Ukraine 2007) again. Athough that was fantastic and almost won.

• Paid Members

I never watch the semi-finals, but I've got a Eurovision party to go to - anything interesting or left-field enough to be worth having a punt on? From what I've seen on Facebook, sounds like it's going to be a pretty dull year.

• Paid Members

Unfortunately all the interesting.left field stuff tends to go out in the semis, which leaves the finals resembling an overly long X-Factor final. Wogan would have never stood for it. I do remember Paddy O'Connell (Brother of Christian) being hilariously bitchy and catty while doing commentary for the semis one year, I think the second year Graham Norton was doing it, and how much better he was than Norton. I usually press the red button and have Ken Bruce on commentary instead.

• Paid Members

Graham Norton's got better the last couple of years, but he's still no Wogan. He tends to play it a little too safe for the songs themselves, and then turn up the cattiness when it gets to the presenters from other countries reading out the scores.

My favourite was the French presenter stood with a backdrop of the Arc du Triumphe behind her, and Norton saying, "No Eiffel Tower?! Well, she could be anywhere!".

• Paid Members

IT'S THE MOSSSSSST WONDERFULLLLLL TIME OF THE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAR

I fucking love a bit of Eurovision me. Last year we were at my mates pub and had full use of it, what a night was had. Many refreshing beverages were consumed and I ended up falling asleep in the soft play area some time around when Ukraine won.

Got a bunch of us piling over to mine Saturday for show. It's a bloody travesty that more pubs don't have it on. In Mears' Britain its a capital offence to have sport on over Eurovision. 

• Paid Members

jobnnyboy- remind me of the scoring these days: how much does the public vote represent of the overall scores? Following Brexit, could we be onto a right hiding?

I remember when the rest of Europe didn't hate us and we used to do quite well, even if we peddled out some shite. :(

Need LoveCityGroove back imo.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

As far as I'm aware no change from last year - pure 50/50 jury and public.  The adding of the public vote in one massive block at the end really added to the drama so I imagine they'll be after that again.

Italy are now massive favourites with the bookies and although it isn't my favourite, it is catchy as balls so don't be surprised if we're off to Rome next year.  Our song has really grown on me and it has form having been written by a former winner.  I would love it to crack the top 10, but it's a legit group of death tonight.  I fancied Israel e/w, but they are first on stage tonight.

Scorecards are printed.  Assorted european drinks, sweets, and cakes on hand and the Mrs should be enroute with a curry soon.  It's Christmas II, the campening.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

I remember when the rest of Europe didn't hate us and we used to do quite well, even if we peddled out some shite. :(

The only time we've put much effort into this in the last 15 years was the Andrew Lloyd Webber song which came 4th. I don't know what the reaction will be tonight, but I don't think Europe has hated us in the past at all. A decomposing Englebert Humperdink singing out of tune isnt going to cut it, we send shite.

I genuinely believe we throw it on purpose so the Beeb don't have to pay to host it the next year.