Selling Wrestling to the Girlfriend (Help!)

j-storm

Do you know what it is?

I'm the only one talking sense. All the rest of you are doing is trying to find ways for him to convince his girlfriend to like wrestling or get her into wrestling. What I'm saying is the best way to go about it. Leave her with a remote control in her hand she can go through the TV guide and when she comes across something that's real and not fake or scripted in anyway to give him a shout because everything on TV is not real and that will be the end of it. If it not being real is the only excuse for not liking it then there is no discussion but if she just doesn't like it then that's the end of discussion too. You can't force people to like something or be into something.

And before anyone else starts trying to twist what I've said or try and insult me, maybe rather than hijack this thread and use it as an excuse to moan at me, maybe pay attention to the topic at hand. The poster is asking for help so give it to them.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 minutes ago, scotswizard said:

Do you know what it is?

I'm the only one talking sense. All the rest of you are doing is trying to find ways for him to convince his girlfriend to like wrestling or get her into wrestling. What I'm saying is the best way to go about it. Leave her with a remote control in her hand she can go through the TV guide and when she comes across something that's real and not fake or scripted in anyway to give him a shout because everything on TV is not real and that will be the end of it. If it not being real is the only excuse for not liking it then there is no discussion but if she just doesn't like it then that's the end of discussion too. You can't force people to like something or be into something.

And before anyone else starts trying to twist what I've said or try and insult me, maybe rather than hijack this thread and use it as an excuse to moan at me, maybe pay attention to the topic at hand. The poster is asking for help so give it to them.

As per usual Mr Wizard, you are not talking as much sense as you think you are.

My advice, try and get her to watch some with you, explain why you like it and maybe the soap opera side of things. But as long as she tolerates you watching it, whats the problem?

People have been giving help and suggestions, and also saying to only bother if she shows a direct interest, which I'd co-sign 

You're the one derailing the topic and offering nowt with your standard tedious rant wizzy. 

I like how scotswizard is constantly try to get people to bite his "all shows on TV are scripted, including every type of reality show" line. He's included it in nearly every reply. Waiting for someone to say that not all are so he can write an essay about how all the items they buy on Bargain Hunt are planted and that Tim Wonnacott is only playing the character of a dirt, old, sex-pest and how you are all idiots for not realising it. Thankfully no one has yet.

This became way more constructive than I thought it would. Genuinely expected a dozen replies with "Just sack her off mate..."

So I decided to watch Sasha/Bayley at Takeover Brooklyn last night with her. Getting her to sit through an entire match was a success in its own right. She enjoyed it, even though she was still commenting on things she wasn’t convinced by throughout. Did catch her grabbing the couch and springing upright as they did the reverse rana from the top rope though! (A glimmer of hope)

I think we have a long way to go with this, but it’s a start…

It's very swift, gets to the point right away and gets you the answer right away.

And no I'm not trying to get anyone to "bite" anything. The reason no one has responded to me saying that is because it's true. Everything on TV is scripted. Nothing is done off the cuff, no one on TV says things off the top of their head and does what they want. Everything is planned in advance. Very little is live and what is live is also planned and plotted right down to the second from the news to the shopping channels.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, scotswizard said:

And no I'm not trying to get anyone to "bite" anything. The reason no one has responded to me saying that is because it's true. Everything on TV is scripted. Nothing is done off the cuff, no one on TV says things off the top of their head and does what they want. Everything is planned in advance. Very little is live and what is live is also planned and plotted right down to the second from the news to the shopping channels.

Literally no one is questioning that, though. The point is that this still isn't very good way of getting somebody to like wrestling.

If I wanted to get somebody to like a TV show, I wouldn't begin by being condescending about everything they already like.

57 minutes ago, scotswizard said:

It's very swift, gets to the point right away and gets you the answer right away.

Yeah we all get that wizzywig we dont need you to keep harping on about it.

King Cocunut's idea is the best to be honest.

My Girlfriend got into wrestling by me taking her to see Raw a few years ago when she didn't expect or knew I even liked wrestling. Took her as a surprise and she loved it, I guess the fact its more of a show when your there live than it is sitting at home helps sell it as something fun and interesting (music/lights/effects) and of course what happens in the ring. 

It's similar to football in that sometimes its one of them things you just have to go too to get a feel for the game and atmosphere, wrestling is a show and is good fun (sometimes).

Rumble is a good shout if watching on TV and things like Total Divas are also a winner. Even The WWE Network as my other half watches random things on it, usually those she really likes the look of. 

The only wrestler my wife has ever really shown any interest or enjoyment in is Dusty Rhodes.  She thinks the wacky jive promos and the funky fat man dancing are great.  We also sat and watched some of his WWF vignettes on you tube one evening.  I think that is the only time she has ever stopped to watch anything wrestling related with me.

Archived