Is it different for kids who are wrestling fans nowadays?

Maikeru

I think its noticeable of WWE's audience when some who were really successful and over in NXT don't even get a reaction on the main TV shows, I think that almost tells you the audience of both shows and where WWE stands today. 

Also good point made about how different things are these days for kids, back then kids would just be able to watch TV and I am guessing limited channels so WWE would probably be a unique thing that was edgy and cool, these days there are more TV channels, internet/YouTube, online gaming, more sports to watch (on TV), social media to keep up with so naturally TV time may be less spent on WWE which is ironic considering how much WWE programming there is to watch and get through, that said the WWE has been smart in having different types of shows to appeal to different audiences, this is probably the way to go to maintain interest and its fanbase. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My nephews watch everything they can about wrestling.Every single thing. I went to the States a few months back and my nephew there didnt have the network so I loaded it up on his iPad and he just consumed everything.

I think it comes back to the old problem that it isn't just that its nit drawing new fans, its that there are so many other things drawing the audience. The fact that you need Sky to watch wrestling is one problem, because the downturn and financial crisis surely means less people with Sky? (I have no basis for that, just an assumption).

Briefcase is absolutely right about there being so many different ways to watch. My son, who rarely watches, has clips pop up on Youtube which he asks me about all the time. 

21 hours ago, iamthedoctor said:

... don't let them watch any current WWE stuff. Instead from a early age bring them up on classic WWF wrestling ... you could watch say a Monday Night Raw on a Monday Night and then eventually the PPVs on a Sunday and try to make it feel like thats todays wrestling. ... Ebay would be a good source to buy boxed 90's figures or Magazines for Presents.

All I can imagine is the horrifying day when, after sharing exciting moments with them every week on "live" TV, Junior has to suddenly digest the news that 90% of his heroes are dead.

• Paid Members

My nephew loves Roman Reigns just as much as I loved The Rock and my brother loved Hogan. It's not changed at all for kids. They're not jaded, cynical wankers like the rest of us.

Hope the guy who suggested forcing kids to watch old wrestling and not letting them watch the new stuff never has children. What an absurdly horrible idea.

On 03/05/2017 at 4:49 PM, iamthedoctor said:

Logically I would have thought the best thing to do is don't let them watch any current WWE stuff. Instead from a early age bring them up on classic WWF wrestling, I know back in the day we had tapes and DVDs but today you could watch say a Monday Night Raw on a Monday Night and then eventually the PPVs on a Sunday and try to make it feel like thats todays wrestling. Sure it be great if they had Superstars and stuff like the weekly shows we had but the only problem being you couldn't attend LIVE WWE as they wouldnt recognise anyone. Ebay would be a good source to buy boxed 90's figures or Magazines for Presents.

What planet do you live on?

13 minutes ago, scotswizard said:

So not only do we let them watch ONLY old WWF events but we've to buy second hand figures and magazines as presents lol.

Don't worry, not you pal. You'd have to actually have sexual intercourse with a real woman to have a child, so I don't see this affecting you whatsoever. Although if there ever is a way of impregnating someone by writing several paragraphs about how you might do it, I'm sure you'll be the first to be informed.

Very touching.

Very humbling indeed. And what are you doing online at this time? You not in bed with your woman? No? You do realise there's no wrestling on Thursday nights in the UK right? You don't need to do this again till Monday night for Raw. Monday night Raw is on after 1am, not on Thursday nights. You've picked the wrong day to stay awake after 1am.

• Paid Members

Even a 9 year old can look at them and know there's a bit of hocus pocus going on. All this kicking in the face and getting back on their feet, all this punching to the face and no one bleeds? No one gets a black eye? The wrestler punches another guy in the corner 10 times and the crowd chants along and the guy getting punched doesn't put his hands up to his face to protect himself? Wrestlers that supposedly hate each other and want to fight each other stand in the ring together and have a conversation on the microphone and don't try and hit each other? They hate each other that much? One wont try and punch the other one?

All of this was true when I was nine years old too. Didn't bother me then, and it doesn't bother nine year olds now.

You complain that the characters aren't larger then life, then insist that a kid wouldn't enjoy it because they can tell that someone getting punched and not immediately clutching their face and crying about it for the next ten minutes isn't fighting for real. Aside from those two points being contradictory (kids won't watch it because it's boring now the gimmicks are more realistic, but kids won't watch it because people it's not realistic enough), the fact that wrestlers can seemingly withstand a beating normal people can't is larger than life.

Me at 9 years old didn't think that wrestling was bollocks because they didn't get black eyes or shout "OW THAT HURT" every time they got punched any more than I would have thought Power Rangers was bollocks because they never lost, or Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat wasn't easily defeated in every fight by a knee to the knackers.

You're looking at it through the eyes of a cynical adult, assuming that a kid would see it the same way.

That's bollix imo, the first wrestling I got to properly sit down and watch was bloody 2004 Smackdown. If I can become a lifer, this generation easily can

13 years isnt a lifer. See how you feel about it in another 15-20. Wrestling hasnt really gone through a great deal of changes in the last 13 years, where as when i started watching WWF in 87 and others on here in the late 80's or early 90's have seen a lot of changes which they dont think are for the better.

Seeing as I often check out the stuff from the late 80s and 90s as a big nerdy completist and am always looking for new shows and companies to check out I think it's safe to assume I won't be dropping it any time soon 

Archived