NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I’m still good to go with this. This weeks show was shite, even for a round up. It was like a poor version of Live Wire. 

However, I’m still on board. I don’t mint them having a dud show. I’m hoping the PPV is as good as it can, it has the potential to be great and it can be a fresh start for them going forward. 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:10 AM, Angle_fan said:

Yeah I'm still loving this programme regardless of the latest episode. Personally I think the Conette situation is a bit ridiculous and the show would always be better with him commentating. 

Yeah it’s ridiculous how they let him go for . . . *checks notes* . . . telling racist jokes on the air.

1 hour ago, Wrasslin said:

Yeah it’s ridiculous how they let him go for . . . *checks notes* . . . telling racist jokes on the air.

Yeah it's ridiculous how none of the people editing the show found it racist or offensive enough to delete it from broadcast before a few people on Twitter kicked up a stick about it and they felt compelled to act. It's also ridiculous how all the 'offended' people who publicly expressed their 'outrage' about it seemed to be of the white or non-black persuasion.....

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Yeah it's ridiculous how none of the people editing the show found it racist or offensive enough to delete it from broadcast before a few people on Twitter kicked up a stick about it and they felt compelled to act. It's also ridiculous how all the 'offended' people who publicly expressed their 'outrage' about it seemed to be of the white or non-black persuasion.....

It's a demonstrably racist joke. And "other people didn't notice it in editing" is a piss poor argument in Cornette's favour, it just means other people were culpable. InfoWars darling Billy Corgan not taking action against racism? I'm shocked.

Plenty of black people have spoken out about it, so if the only people you've seen on Twitter complaining have been scare-quote 'offended' white people, then it just sounds like you're not following too many black fans or talent on Twitter. 

Anyway, I will always mark for Great Muta, even when he can barely walk, let alone moonsault. But a match with Nick Aldis is probably the least interesting proposition for any wrestler.

Edited by BomberPat

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's a demonstrably racist joke. And "other people didn't notice it in editing" is a piss poor argument in Cornette's favour, it just means other people were culpable. InfoWars darling Billy Corgan not taking action against racism? I'm shocked.

Plenty of black people have spoken out about it, so if the only people you've seen on Twitter complaining have been scare-quote 'offended' white people, then it just sounds like you're not following too many black fans or talent on Twitter. 

Anyway, I will always mark for Great Muta, even when he can barely walk, let alone moonsault. But a match with Nick Aldis is probably the least interesting proposition for any wrestler.

I was actually making the same point as you - that Cornette was not the only one culpable in this situation - but you clearly didn't take a moment to stop being offended to notice.
Nice to see that your outrage about the 'demonstrably racist joke' hasn't stopped you watching the product though, that's good.
...and allow me to apologise now for apparently not following as many black fans or talent on Twitter as you apparently do.
I was unaware it was a competition and I can only hope to one day be as 'woke' as you are.

• Paid Members
Just now, Snitsky's back acne said:

Nice to see that your outrage about the 'demonstrably racist joke' hasn't stopped you watching the product though, that's good.

I haven't watched any NWA stuff in weeks, but sure. 

It's not about a competition, just that when you're saying "most of the people offended were white", basically you're saying "it's not that racist, it's just paternalist white liberals getting offended on behalf of black people", and it's demonstrably not the case. Mark Henry put on a decent statement about it, talking about how disappointed he was, and wanting an apology from Cornette. 

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I haven't watched any NWA stuff in weeks, but sure. 

It's not about a competition, just that when you're saying "most of the people offended were white", basically you're saying "it's not that racist, it's just paternalist white liberals getting offended on behalf of black people", and it's demonstrably not the case. Mark Henry put on a decent statement about it, talking about how disappointed he was, and wanting an apology from Cornette. 

Key word in my sentence - 'most'.
I did not say 'no black people were offended by it' - and yes, I do think a lot of instances were as you described, a load of white liberals getting offended on behalf of black people.
It does not make what Cornette said or the NWA's actions any less offensive by the way - as much as you might like to think that is what I am saying.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

I do 100% feel nearly everyone offended over Cornettes "joke" were offended because it was Cornette. He's the pantomime Katie Hopkins-esq villain to many over his conflicting views on wrestling. It's a pathetic tit for tat on Twitter, which is a shame as I think Cornette is a great talent.

• Paid Members

I can't speak for how other people took it, but I can't really see how a "starving African running after a bucket of fried chicken" joke would have somehow been less offensive coming from someone else. That it came from Cornette, more than anything, just gave it a sense of crushing inevitability - everyone knows that if you build your brand on "OH SORRY, DID I OFFEND YOU, SNOWFLAKE?" type baiting is sooner or later going too far.

If it had been said by someone I like more than Cornette, say, by Terry Funk, the reaction would be more one of disappointment - less, "for fuck's sake, Jim", and more, "fucking hell, I expected better from you".

I do think if it hadn't been Cornette the tasteless joke would have went unnoticed. No one can say definitively but that's my opinion. 

I'd like to make a point about wrestling and things that are offensive. Putting it loosley there's the Cornette fan base and the, for example, Joey Ryan fan base. Obviously there's some who either like or dislike both, but again I'm putting it broadly. 

I find both Cornette and Ryan to be crass. Cornette I have had no problem with on NWA, but unfiltered on his podcast he's very over the top, for lack of a better term. 

Joey Ryan rubbing his dick in women's faces, putting them in sexual positions and cornering them in the ring and licking their neck, to me is very bad taste. I've seen him do all these things during matches. I, personally, find that more distasteful than Cornettes dated joke. 

And that's where I stand and that's my point. There's loads in wrestling, even now, which is distasteful. But we're viewing a tit-for-tat by wrestling fans depending on who their favourite is.

40 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I can't speak for how other people took it, but I can't really see how a "starving African running after a bucket of fried chicken" joke would have somehow been less offensive coming from someone else. That it came from Cornette, more than anything, just gave it a sense of crushing inevitability - everyone knows that if you build your brand on "OH SORRY, DID I OFFEND YOU, SNOWFLAKE?" type baiting is sooner or later going too far.

If it had been said by someone I like more than Cornette, say, by Terry Funk, the reaction would be more one of disappointment - less, "for fuck's sake, Jim", and more, "fucking hell, I expected better from you".

See but this 'I would have had a different reaction based on how much I like the person' stuff annoys me. I get it, it's human nature, you already don't like someone so 'any stick to beat them with' and all that - but essentially excusing one while condemning the other for the same act is just... hypocritical, in my opinion. Cornette is not the only one with his hands dirty here. Yes, he said it, so that responsibility is on him [and he did apologise to those who were genuinely offended by his comments] but the levels, and selective nature of, 'outrage' in these situations is blatant.

Cody joins in with a homophobic chant in Mexico. 'I'm disappointed but I like him and don't believe he meant any offense so I forgive him'.
Omega books a known paedophile on a show 'Damn, that was really out of line.. but I still love Kenny Omega so I forgive him and hope he has learnt from this.'
Ospreay openly shames women on Twitter for flying home to attend their relatives funeral or because they have accused his mate of rape 'Ospreay's a dick isn't he! lol. I'll still watch his matches though because I like him!'

Certain people are allowed to get away with things because we like them, they do cool moves and like video games/are vegan etc. and other people aren't because they say things we don't agree with about the people we like etc. It's just how it is I guess. 

Anyway, yes it's very cool that Muta and Aldis are apparently heading for a match. I don't care how broken down he might be - it's fucking Muta!

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I do think if it hadn't been Cornette the tasteless joke would have went unnoticed. No one can say definitively but that's my opinion.

Yeah, he's definitely the only person who has been pulled up for something in this ever changing world and it's immediate reaction to everything on social media. Poor old, Jim.

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Yeah, he's definitely the only person who has been pulled up for something in this ever changing world and it's immediate reaction to everything on social media. Poor old, Jim.

I'm not saying any of that.