NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Yeah, he referenced Mildred Burke and they showed her and the belt. To be fair to Vamp, I also thought during this morning's AEW that the NWA show had a lack of presence of female wrestlers. Although, if I'm honest, I was thinking about how it saved me fast forwarding anything.

• Paid Members

This was the wrestling show I enjoyed the most from the past two weeks, out of those put on by WWE, NWA and AEW. It also had the best theme music, followed by Smackdown, then RAW and AEW bring up the rear at a distance. 

20 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

You can watch meaningless ten minute matches on any other wrestling show. The squash matches here are perfect. They establish the people they need people to care about from the rest of the crowd, many of whom are new to the audience. 

They also keep a show moving at a pace and allow it to showcase far more people than three long matches would.

Its not just about parodying and old school set, old school booking suggests you don't give everything away on TV for free. It's about the journey and the destination. 

I think its not even the fact they were short. The wrestling itself was a little dry and didn't leave me going 'wow' to any degree. Standard, painting by numbers wrestling is fine on a local independent where you pay a few quid on a Saturday night but for the NWA I would expect a bit more in terms of quality action. I'll give them another go but need to see more.

I don't believe the old school works anymore. People have been conditioned for 30 years to expect high quality matches on free (weekly) TV. If they can't get me interested in watching weekly how are they expecting for me to hang around until their bigger 'blow off' shows? We aren't in 1980 anymore. 

That's a good question actually - what big shows ARE they building towards with this weekly?

Tim Storm is amazing incidentally, I was genuinely gutted for him when he lost.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I don't believe the old school works anymore. People have been conditioned for 30 years to expect high quality matches on free (weekly) TV. If they can't get me interested in watching weekly how are they expecting for me to hang around until their bigger 'blow off' shows? We aren't in 1980 anymore. 

You've got a thread full of people here, aside from you, who all enjoyed or loved the show. The response on social media has been universally positive. It's been well received by professionals and ex-pros, and has scored well critically.

Stop conflating your personal tastes with blanket statements about 'what does and doesn't work anymore'. Go and watch something else.

I really enjoyed it. Put it this way, there's far more chance of me watching this over RAW or AEW in future. We'll see how it goes, but in terms of commentary, interviews, wrestlers, crowd I thought it was all good. 

Eli Drake was my favourite. He seems to have that It Factor, charisma in his promos, look, ring work. Never seen him before but was impressed. 

Edited by LEGIT

16 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You've got a thread full of people here, aside from you, who all enjoyed or loved the show. The response on social media has been universally positive. It's been well received by professionals and ex-pros, and has scored well critically.

Stop conflating your personal tastes with blanket statements about 'what does and doesn't work anymore'. Go and watch something else.

Learn to read pal. 

Never thought i’d properly enjoy a wrestling show again. Even though i’m older than most of the wrestlers on there i dont feel like im watching young kids wrestle. I love the set up. The wrestlers all have quality mens voices from the 80’s.

One little criticism would be to make sure they dont let the crowd shout “what” or “let the fight” 

Another thing from a personal veiw is, i would like to see is just a very subtle little bit of more nostalgia threw in, none of the main chaps like flair or steamboat but some underated wrestlers like a buddy rose etc...pigeon holed in there someway, but not overdone.

It’s like Cobra Kai in some ways. It shows good things can be done with programs from the past with the right people in charge.