Rebooking WCW in 1993

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

Fair play lads, great listen. I remember the Worldwide era vividly. Ron Simmons & Ice Train vs Tex Slazenger & Shanghai Pierce ever other week. Ravishing Rick dropping Frankie Lancaster with a reverse suplex because he couldn't be arsed doing the Rude Awakening. Jesse Ventura informing me that it wasnt the Million Dollar Dream that Neidhart was beating jobbers with, it was "The Anvilizer" ... belongs on a Hasbro card, that one. And Thunder and Lightning (nWo Sting/Cobra) going over losers with that irish whip/top rope clothesline which I'm shocked didn't get them over. As an oik, I thought that was the next Doomsday Device.

Honestly, its ridiculous how bad 93 WCW was. I bought the Fall Brawl tape because I have an irrational boner for War Games, even the bad ones, and honestly I think of 93 as the dark ages. Charlie Norris, Yoshi Kwan, the Colossal Kongs... limitless diarrhoea. Listening to you lads pick it apart reminds me that ACTUALLY there were still some great workers there, and with Bulldog coming in and Sid and especially Flair coming back, a decent amount of star power. Like many bad periods of the Big Two (WWF 1995 for instance) the frustration is that some great building blocks were there, but nobody managed to put them together.

Christ, I remember way too much of what you just said vividly. The Ice Train & Simmons match with Tex & Shanghai ending with the Schiavone Special - "We gotta go, we're out of time!" before a finish. Rude tossing Lancaster like a sack of shit.

Remember the Erik Watts/Frankie Lancaster feud on Worldwide in 1993? I swear that was a real thing.

Similarly, we mirror each other in our Fall Brawl 93 tape purchase. I had a few 93 WCW PPVs I could have purchased that day, and was torn between Beach Blast (Vader's first moonsault) and Fall Brawl. I opted to go with the latter solely because I'd never seen War Games, but heard the legend of this brutal match. And it's fucking Typhoon dressed like a builder making Booker T submit with a bearhug, a parade of dog shit on the undercard, the Nasty Boys winning the tag belts, and the most God-awfully uncomfortable interview this side of Melanie Pillman - Davey Boy Smith, who has trouble with the language at the best of times, engaging in discourse and banter with WCW's special guest interviewer. Emphasis on special.

• Paid Members

Ha, I remember the blockbuster Erik Watts vs Frankie Lancaster feud.

I think it started with them teaming one week and during the match Lancaster leapfrogged his taller partner but didn't jump high enough, so Watts accidentally headbutted him in the balls. Costing them the match. Lancaster went nuts (pun intended) and the heated blood feud was born. The Hogan vs Andre buildup had nothing on this. 

• Paid Members

I think it started with them teaming one week and during the match Lancaster leapfrogged his taller partner but didn't jump high enough, so Watts accidentally headbutted him in the balls.

I once saw a Johnny Saint match that ended with a leapfrog resulting in a headbutt to the balls. That's just not a spot you see any more.

33 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Ha, I remember the blockbuster Erik Watts vs Frankie Lancaster feud.

I think it started with them teaming one week and during the match Lancaster leapfrogged his taller partner but didn't jump high enough, so Watts accidentally headbutted him in the balls. Costing them the match. Lancaster went nuts (pun intended) and the heated blood feud was born. The Hogan vs Andre buildup had nothing on this. 

Also featured the Blondes Vs. the Watts/Lancaster dream team in a match where (and follow me here...) Austin has Lancaster pinned after a double team and makes the cover. Pillman is on the floor. Watts is in his corner. The ref makes the count and Lancaster puts his foot on the rope, but Watts goes running down the apron to get to Pillman and accidentally kicks his own partners foot off the rope, and the ref counts 3. Pair of dickheads.

Archived