TUF: Redemption - Team Garbrandt vs. Team Dillashaw

Egg Shen

I didn’t talk about this week’s episode for that exact reason. It’s become the same story every week; Cody acts like a complete bellend with zero self-awareness, and the rest of TAM follow suit. Their ‘hilarious’ prank typified their juvenile and immature behaviour. I though TJ’s response was great, just awesome.

I really like Gilbert and I thought the guys knocking him for taking things seriously came off so badly. If TUF was a teen movie, they’d be the guys who bully the kids who want to learn and then think anyone who was appalled was an idiot for not getting their obviously hilarious joke. They had the same total lack of self-awareness as Cody. Gilbert’s speech at the end was so great and it really was a touching moment, one of the best on TUF history. But in a total pro wrestling type turnaround, Gilbert’s since announced he was too emotional at the time and that he intends to fight again because he really wants to be in the UFC. I hope the guy gets his shot because he deserves it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
11 hours ago, Moo said:

It's definitely a bit of a mindfuck watching all these fighters I've been following for maybe 12 years reaching the end of their careers with mixing levels of success. Damn I feel old.

This year more than any other I've felt like this. The change over in ownership from Zuffa to WME-IMG, the Reebok uniforms, constant parts of the furniture like the Fertittas, Mike Goldberg and Joe Silva no longer being around, fighters who were king back when I became a fan like Shogun, Big Nog, Faber, Cro Cop, BJ Penn, Gomi etc are either retired or nearly there. And the guys who were promising young prospects back then like Joe Lauzon, Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves are battleworn veterans now. That era has nearly completely died out and it does definitely make me feel old. 

• Admin

2 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

But in a total pro wrestling type turnaround, Gilbert’s since announced he was too emotional at the time and that he intends to fight again because he really wants to be in the UFC. I hope the guy gets his shot because he deserves it.

Agreed - I think he showed a lot of heart and toughness in that fight - the guy is strong as hell and can take a punch. If he could work a bit more on his kicks and the accuracy of those power shots he could do some real damage. Also he's just a sweetheart and he's called Gilbert aka Chocolate Thunder. What's not to like?

On 18/06/2017 at 8:20 PM, David said:

That coaches challenge may not have meant much, but it did give a brief glimpse into how Cody reacts if he's under pressure or if things aren't going in his favour. His reacting to Ramsey was a telling sign.

Cody behaves like that every week on the show. The slightest thing sets him off into a childish rage.

• Paid Members

Jesse Taylor's a bit good isn't he? I know TUF can often be a 'big fish, small pond' scenario but he made short work of Hayder. I know we've said a million times how TUF peaked years ago but I've enjoyed the shit out of this series. Cody being such an utter bellend has even managed to make TJ seem vaguely likeable.

Jesse Taylor is good and he probably has the best story going into TUF. It would be so fitting for his fall from grace and consequent redemption to both take place as a result of TUF. As for Cody, it was more of the same. The guy has no self-awareness, no idea of how to behave and conduct himself without coming off as, you said, an utter bellend. The rest of TAM aren't much better. TJ doesn't have to do anything to seem likeable. He just has to sit there and do nothing, which he's generally smart enough to do, and Cody and TAM do all the damage to themselves without TJ lifting a finger.

• Paid Members

I fucking can't stand the sight of Justin Buchholz. Just incase I never made that clear enough the first 123 times I've mentioned it. Complete and utter wrong'un. You know when you were a kid and your mum would go 'don't pull stupid faces, if the wind changes you'll be stuck like it'? Looks like Buchholz didn't heed that warning. 

Seriously, he's going on like he was in love with Dillashaw and was knocked back or something. Why's he SO bastard bothered that TJ went to train somewhere else like 2 years ago? Get the shit over it you weird fuck. During the weigh in this week he said something to TJ like "You left the team in a shambles bro. You left us with our head cut off to die and moved to Colorado." The snivelling twat. Get a grip. 

Why has TJ Dillashaw leaving Team Alpha Male become this massive thing anyway? Fighters leave camps and join other gyms all the time in MMA, sometimes the split isn't friendly but you never see this level of bitching. Certainly not a year or two after the fact. I don't get why this one is such an unforgivable crime that TJ committed. If TAM are such a great team and they're all such badasses and stuff, why did TJ being there or not make or break the team like Garbrandt, Buchholz and to a degree Faber make out? Garbrandt and Buchholz are always talking like TJ wasn't a friend or a true team member anyway so why does it work them up so much that he left? 

Wasn't TJ their first UFC champion? I seem to remember some old stat where TAM were like 0-9 in UFC title fights at one point. When TJ won they probably thought we finally have a UFC champ to represent the team. Then he leaves with Ludwig who Faber is having a very public row with.

Does this explain why they are acting so daft. Not really that's probably because TAM are a bunch of knuckleheads.

• Paid Members

I think the big difference Wand is Duane Ludwig. Yes you often find fighters changing camps, but you don't often find it with an extra layer of complexity that was Ludwig. 

Edit: Jim Bob beat me to it.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Wasn't TJ their first UFC champion? I seem to remember some old stat where TAM were like 0-9 in UFC title fights at one point. When TJ won they probably thought we finally have a UFC champ to represent the team. Then he leaves with Ludwig who Faber is having a very public row with.

Does this explain why they are acting so daft. Not really that's probably because TAM are a bunch of knuckleheads.

I think TJ was their first UFC champ yeah. But even still, I mean Robbie Lawler was American Top Team's first UFC champion. He's left there now and reading between the lines it wasn't a smooth break. But you don't see ATT and Lawler blasting each other in the media and stuff. 

The whole thing just seems a bit weird to me. I still don't really get what the actual issue was with Ludwig either. Didn't this actually all start because of that Faber and Ludwig falling out? After that, if TJ thought that moving to Colorado to train with Ludwig was best for his career, I don't know why that was seen as such a terrible betrayal. Just because Faber had a rift with Ludwig I don't get why that should've stopped TJ training with him if they clicked in the gym and the work with Ludwig was benefitting him. 

• Paid Members

I just don't think you can compare Robbie Lawler leaving ATT and TJ's situationthough Wand. I think it stung more with TJ for the already mentioned Ludwig rift but also due the Faber taking TJ from College and virtually making him his protege. Faber went as far to call for TJ to get a title shot in the ring right after he was beaten by Barao too. 

They effectively built him in from nothing so you could see why it would sting more so than other fighters who change their camps. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jesse Taylor is through to the tournament final on Friday night, which is great to see. Taylor dominated James Krause before submitting him in the third round. I really hope Taylor can beat Dhiego Lima because it would be the perfect, storybook ending to this season of TUF.

Archived