TUF: Redemption - Team Garbrandt vs. Team Dillashaw

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

TUFs been going since 2005, so 12 years now. 

I think 1-10 was the golden era of TUF. Of that first 10 seasons I thought 2 and 7 were the weak ones but even they had their high points. After 10 the show really became hit and miss for me. From 10 onwards the good ones were 12 (GSP/Koscheck), 14 (Bisping/Mayhem), Smashes (Pearson/Sotiropoulous), 18 (Rousey/Tate) and whichever number the McGregor vs Faber season was. 

And yeah, that was Joe Daddy doing the scarecrow challenge on TUF 2, with pervy Mike Whitehead. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On 06/05/2017 at 8:26 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, Jesse or Joe Stevenson for me. Jesse would be a cooler story but Joe Daddy's the proper old school guy in there. Fucker's been fighting forever. He was pretty much a grizzled vet when he won TUF 2! He's never been the same for me since the night BJ Penn took his soul in Newcastle. I was there that night. I nearly called the police to report an attempted murder. He had the odd bright spot after that (the Nate Diaz win springing to mind) but it was always fleeting and he never found consistency or became a contender again. It'd be nice to see him at least reach the finals. 

They do all seem like good guys in general. But I still think Julian Lane might have another meltdown in him. At least he got rid of that red mohawk, I guess.

there's definitely another meltdown in Lane, that's gotta be the only reason he was brought back.

Im fancying JT Money down the stretch for this. In 2 round fights a power wrestler like that is hard to beat. His style is made for TUF. Agreed that him and Stevenson are the two that best suit the Redemption theme of the show. i can't see Stevenson having much left come fight time though.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's a shame but Stevenson seemed almost shot to me back when he was getting knocked dead by Mac Danzig. And without even checking that's got to have been at least 5/6 years ago now. 

He's still only 34 but he started really fucking young. Sure Rogan said once that Stevenson was about 16/17 when he started fighting. That's a lot of miles on the clock. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, weren't there stories of him beating guys when he was like 15? Joe's got some crazy stories to tell. 

I love Jesse Taylor's story though, he's literally fought everywhere since TUF, ive always kept an eye on his career, mainly because he keeps showing up on random shows usually against decent opposition. Can never accuse of him of taking the easy road.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I don't really have time to follow the smaller promotions now like I used to. But I've always sort of kept an eye on what Jesse Taylor's been up to. Purely because of his TUF story. 

I liked him a lot on TUF as well. He was such a likeable goof. Like a big dopey kid who looked like the love child of Big John McCarthy. And there was the whole "he called me a Jewish bitch" argument he had on that rat-faced little cunt Jeremy May as well.

He was an idiot for how he fucked it all up but there's no doubt he's earned his way back in. It's been 9 years, for fuck's sake. He's served his time and took the long road back. 

This was another rather sedate episode but it had its moments. I liked the scene of the guys chilling in the pool, with the poetry and rapping and general bonding. It’s actually nice to see people getting along for a change.

I found it interesting the way Garbrandt and the rest of TAM were talking to Nunez about his reluctance to face someone he trains with. They positioned it as Nunez having to put himself first and basically told him to put aside the fact that he’s trained with Krause and treat him as just another opponent. They seemed to completely disregard the effect this would have on the team Nunez and Krause are part of. And whilst I’m not necessarily disagreeing with them, it’s interesting how they took this approach, when it was Dillashaw putting himself first that caused TAM to throw a fit and create drama we see today. Are there differing degrees of putting yourself first that TAM find acceptable? Because they seem a little hypocritical for saying that a fighter has to put himself first when they’re not directly involved in the situation, and then taking the opposite view when the situation does involve them directly.

Nunez knocked Krause before the fight, saying that Krause is on the show for the wrong reason, that he’s only on it for TV time, and that Krause has taken the place of someone more deserving. Where did this come from? Did I miss something or is Nunez misinterpreting something innocuous? Because it made no sense based on what I’ve seen so far. Due to that, I did find it satisfying that the fight ended with Krause making Nunez tap out.

I think Team Garbrandt will probably get their first win next week. Lima doesn’t have the strongest of chins. If Hassan lands just one good shot, that’ll be it.

• Paid Members

Eddie Gordon is like Daniel Cormier's really in shape little brother. 

Jesse Taylor's weird poems remind me of Kurt Angle being goofy with the little cowboy hat on. 

Oh and I still can't stand Justin Buchholz. His face irritates me no end. And he seems a cock as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last week’s episode wasn’t much but this week’s made up for it in spades, and UFC wasted no time in putting the good stuff up on YouTube;

TUF 25 clip

Cody is coming off as the absolute worst possible representative of the UFC and of MMA. I don’t know how well you can see it in the video, but Cody actually threw a punch at Duane.

The fight between Ramsey and Julian was pretty good. Julian almost ended up setting the submission, twice, but couldn’t finish it. Ramsey won by TKO and neither Julian nor Cody were happy about the stoppage, but it didn’t look like the fight would have lasted much longer anyway because Ramsey had a choke applied right when the referee stepped in. I really hope TJ’s team makes it a clean sweep.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Cody and Team Alpha Male are coming off as the worst dicks so far. Just complete meathead idiots the lot of them. I'm no fan of TJ and against anyone else I'd probably think he was coming off as a twat but in comparison to Cody he's coming across much better and he's done very little/nothing to provoke most of the shit so far. What the fuck had Ludwig done this week? The bloke was just sitting there at the weigh in and that piranha faced shitbag Justin Buchholz just had to pipe up. I knew I was right to hate him. I've disliked him for years for no real reason other than I didn't like his face. Nice to have his cuntery confirmed so my irrational disliking of him is now perfectly rational. He was a zero in the UFC himself. A jobber. A nothing. Hearing him going to (a retired) Duane Ludwig 'why don't we fight on the prelims?' just showed that he's just after camera time and a payday at the finale. I'd love to see Ludwig come out of retirement and knock him out even faster than he did to Jonathan Goulet (fastest KO in UFC history btw, 4 seconds) years ago. 

When they announced this season I never expected to be rooting for TJ Dillashaw. I never massively warmed to Cody for ages when he came to the UFC. He has that stunning performance against Cruz and dedicates it to the kid with cancer and all that good stuff and I finally start turning the corner on him. Then he goes on TUF and reminds me why I didn't take to him in the first place. Seems a right dickhead. One of those thug twats who it seems almost impossible not to get into an argument with. Looking back even during the Cruz fight he was a bellend with the taunting and dancing and shit. Even at the time, as much as I was amazed by his incredible performance, I did find myself thinking 'fuck, I wish Cruz had McGregor power and smacked the smirk off this knob's face mid-moonwalk'. 

I feels so very wrong and I'll probably never say it again but...Team TJ here. 

Fuck Cody. Fuck Piranahface Buchholz. Fuck Team Alpha Male. Fuck Bad Boy as a staff, record label and as a motherfucking crew! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone still watching? The Cody vs TJ fight falling apart has hurt this show big time hasn't it? 

Felt really bad for Joe Stevenson watching this week's episode. On his son's birthday, after dedicating the fight to his son, he gets KO'd in about 10 seconds. 

Could've done without all the god squad stuff but Joe Daddy does seem like a really good guy these days so it was hard to watch. 

Oh and Cody is a cunt. His heel turn was 100% completed for me on this episode. Yeah, he was right that it was a bad move to have Joe Stevenson brought back as the wildcard, making him fight again so soon and against a big hitter in Hayder. But that wasn't the time to be gloating and rubbing TJ's nose in it. Came off as such a dick move. Stevenson had just been knocked out and he's there point scoring going "I told you that would happen" like a right wanker. You often hear the editing get blamed when someone comes off as a shit on a reality show but this clearly wasn't even that. Cody is revealing himself to be an absolute dickhead. 

I'm not a fan of TJ Dillashaw and his beady Barney Rubble eyes but he's way preferable to Cody for me. And I never would've expected to be thinking like that going into the series. 

Another episode of TUF, another episode of Cody Garbrandt showing that he has all the maturity of a turnip.

Hayder Hassan blitzed Joe Stevenson, which wasn’t a shock, and as soon as it’s over, Cody immediately started bragging loudly about how he was right when he said that would happen. He went on and on like that for about a minute before finally congratulating Hassan on his win. Then, when his fighter, Justin Edwards, lost the quarter-final fight, Cody tore into him with his fellow coaches and the team, and not even hiding it meaning that everyone could hear; Cody was ripping into everything Edwards did. Cody then goes to Edwards and tells him he did his best, he tried, etc, basically doing a completely reversal once the guy was in earshot. And there was another Cody tantrum, this time over some comments TJ allegedly made on social media. It was the usual Cody tantrum, complete with ranting and raving and Cody going for TJ, looking to start a fight.

Thing is, TJ had to give Joe the chance to come back, didn't he? He was the walking embodiment of what this season is all about, so even though he was always looking likely to get beaten it was the right choice to give him the fight.

Man, before the season started I wasn't a fan of TJ at all and always favoured the Alpha dudes in this debate they've been having. But now? I actually think TJ and Bang have come out of it looking really good.

Shame the title fight isn't happening, but hopefully we see it down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

After last week I almost wrote another rant on this thread about what a fundamentally unimaginative, dense and unwatchable idiot Garbrandt is but I realised I was basically just repeating myself and everyone else so I sacked it off. But it really cannot be understated and I hope the giraffe-necked walking Ed Hardy tribute gets decimated by TJ some time soon.

The coaches challenge last week was amazing as it basically is every series, and so great to see Garbrandt physically and mentally wobble during that.

I know MMA fans and fighters are going to be pre-disposed to absolutely hate a sensitive soul like Gilbert, but I can't help but pull for him so this week's exit for him was pretty devastating. His retirement at the end was truly moving and I thought redeemed everyone involved including Cody who showed just enough education to not be a detestable prick for a second while that was happening.

It's definitely a bit of a mindfuck watching all these fighters I've been following for maybe 12 years reaching the end of their careers with mixing levels of success. Damn I feel old.

The fight itself was super competitive and both fighters for me are great dudes so I didn't want to see either leave. Diego has a style that's more dynamic and he deserved the victory on points.

Gilbert's physique is pretty nuts, the dude is BUILT. If only he could actually punch accurately - he wasted far too much energy during that fight winging and not dinging.

Archived