General Election- June 8th

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

IT'S ON- as confirmed by the PM.

UK Prime Minister Theresa May has announced plans to call a snap general election on 8 June.

She said Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership following the EU referendum.

Explaining the decision, Mrs May said: "The country is coming together but Westminster is not."

There will be a Commons vote on the proposed election on Wednesday - Labour have said they will vote with the government.

The prime minister needs Parliament's backing to hold a vote before the next scheduled date of 2020.

Explaining her change of heart on an early election, Mrs May said: "I have concluded the only way to guarantee certainty and security for years ahead is to hold this election."

I suspect that Ms May finally realises that she's in over her head, & now wants out.

When Cameron stepped down, there should have been an election ... sliding May into the seat unelected was plain wrong.

• Paid Members

I wish it were otherwise, but I can't see beyond a Tory landslide.

I think I'll be voting Lib Dem, the only party still in proper opposition to Brexit. Although David Lammy is super anti-Brexit, and he's my current MP in a seriously safe Labour seat.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Fucking hell Gus, I bet you were hoping for a 5 year break weren't you? Or have you since changed jobs and therefore won't have to work insane hours this time?

It's an absolute fucking nightmare, but I am pumped. I am no longer in electoral services, but work in policy and parliamentary affairs. Everything is up in the air, we don't know what's happening, months of work has gone flying out of the window. I'm also spending my non-work hours party campaigning for the local LD candidate, which will be exciting but time-intensive.

• Paid Members

Beyond the whole five years of Tory government with three figure majority ahead, I'm most disappointed that this destroys Bristol's wonderful plan for May 2020 of having a General Election, all-out council elections, city mayor election, metro mayor election and police and crime commissioner election all on the same day. I'm sure Gus's Bristol counterparts were dreaming of that day.

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I suspect that Ms May finally realises that she's in over her head, & now wants out.

The exact opposite. She's bullish and wants to have a monstrous majority to push the Brexit plan through.

When Cameron stepped down, there should have been an election ... sliding May into the seat unelected was plain wrong.

That's not how it works, and that's not what you were voting for.

• Paid Members

Does anyone think a real, grand liberal/left-wing coalition is something that could actually be achieved? 

I fucking hate Theresa May so, so much and I'm desperate to see her out of Number 10. I'm clutching at straws to see a way to do that.

Just now, SpursRiot2012 said:

Does anyone think a real, grand liberal/left-wing coalition is something that could actually be achieved? 

I fucking hate Theresa May so, so much and I'm desperate to see her out of Number 10. I'm clutching at straws to see a way to do that.

Lib Dem/Labour/SNP alliance ... watch ... it's coming.

• Paid Members

23 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Absolutely not. May is winning an absolute majority of around 80-100, the Lib Dems will do well and Labour will be shellacked, although possibly not as badly as people foretelling the death knell of the party think.

• Paid Members

The main centre-left party can't even come close to agreeing anything between one another and have been in constant disarray since the last election, so any idea of a left coalition with other parties is a fantasy. May is walking this election. I don't think she's popular, the Tories aren't in great light after the last general election and Brexit, but who on earth will the public vote for instead? Realistically?

I honestly have no fucking clue who I'm even going to vote for this time around.

Archived