UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs Teixeira - May 28

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, Gustafsson vs Glover was alright wasn't it? Glover's got mad toughness. It took 3 flush uppercuts in a row then another clean right hand to put him away. Makes Rumble's 13 second destruction of him all the more crazy. 

Tuned in just in time for the Main Event. 

Gusty looked pretty good throughout. The finish in particular was beautiful. It was the result I wanted. A Jones vs Gusty rematch would rank right at the top of my most wanted list. As I expect Jones to edge out D.C in a few months time, the rematch now looks like a real possibility. 

Marcin Held (156lbs, 22-6) vs. Damir Hadžović (156lbs, 10-3) saw Held dominate Hadžović for two rounds with grappling and ground control, although Hadžović was always threatening knees and kicks. In the opening seconds of the third round, Held dove for the leg of Hadžović, going for the Imanaru roll, but Hadžović landed a perfectly timed knee and Held was knocked out cold. Held was dominating until that moment, but Hadžović had him well scouted.
Five Word Review: A complete reversal of fortunes.

Darren Till (176lbs, 13-0) vs. Jessin Ayari (170lbs, 16-3) was a good showing from Till, who used footwork and superior striking to pick Ayari apart for much of the fight. Till didn’t have things all his own way; on the few occasions the fight hit the ground, Ayari was always threatening off the back and Till had to be careful. Other than that, though, he didn’t have much to worry about.
Five Word Review: Fine showing from the Brit.

Nico Musoke (171lbs, 13-4, 1 NC) vs. Bojan Veličković (170lbs, 14-4-1) was a fine, competitive bout. I thought Musoke had things well in hand despite what the commentary team was saying. Musoke appeared to on course for a unanimous decision victory when, with thirty seconds to go, Veličković landed a big right hook and Musoke was doing a funny dance; one more punch from Veličković dropped him and two more ended it.  Veličković was never out of this fight but he was definitely needing to pull out something special to get the win and he delivered just that.
Five Word Review: Another major reversal of fortunes.

Reza Madadi (156lbs, 14-5) vs. Joaquim Silva (156lbs, 9-0) was another fight that was very competitive and was very even. It was mostly grappling with some striking thrown in. I thought Silva edged it throughout. Silva won by split decision. The fans were not happy and nor were the commentary team, who thought Madadi had done more than enough to win. They were wrong. He had not.
Five Word Review: Very competitive and fairly entertaining.

Trevor Smith (186lbs, 14-7) vs. Chris Camozzi (186lbs, 24-12) was a real grinder of a match, with Smith repeatedly taking Camozzi down and smothering and controlling him. There really wasn’t much else that went on, thus, not much else to talk about.
Five Word Review: Dull as some dirty dishwater.

Pedro Munhoz (136lbs, 13-2, 1 NC) vs. Damian Stasiak (134lbs, 10-3) followed the theme of fights where it always competitive but the result was never really in doubt.
Five Word Review: Another competitive and entertaining fight.

Jack Hermansson (186lbs, 14-3) vs. Alex Nicholson (185lbs, 17-3) was short and brutal; Hermansson quickly took Nicholson down and after avoiding a guillotine, started pounding Nicholson out for the TKO. Nicholson protested but he was taking a lot of punishment and couldn’t escape, in that position, a referee is rightfully going to end things.
Five Word Review: Crowd favourite storms to victory.

Oliver Enkamp (170lbs, 7-0) vs. Nordine Taleb (170lbs, 12-4) was a fairly good fight. Enkamp is young and hungry and was throwing all sorts of crazy kicks. His inexperienced showed in his wild takedown attempts. Taleb was more measured and this give him the edge throughout the fight. Enkamp looks to have a lot of potential and can fight well off his back, but Taleb was just too good.
Five Word Review: Measured experience tempers youthful enthusiasm.

Abdul Razak Alhassan (170lbs, 7-0) vs. Omari Akhmedov (171lbs, 16-4) was a pure slugfest mixed in with a little wrestling. It was quite even when they were brawling, and it was a total brawl, but Akhmedov dominated on the ground and in the grappling. Alhassan was throwing heavy hands and Akhmedov took a lot of them flush, so he has a hell of a chin. I gave Akhmedov the edge; it wasn’t by much but it was still clear. Akhmedove only won by split decision, which was a little head scratching.
Five Word Review: A complete brawl; little technique.

Peter Sobotta (171lbs, 16-5-1) vs. Ben Saunders (168lbs, 21-7-2) was a great scrap, something of a technical brawl. Saunders got dropped in the first round but was back up quickly. Saunders got dropped a couple more times and it seemed like his reactions were a little slow. An elbow in the clinch in the second round had Saunders wobbly; he recovered but Sobotta kept the pressure up, eventually dropping Saunders with a knee which was enough for the referee to call it off, who was already looking closely at Saunders. Saunders wasn’t happy but he was taking a right pasting and I don’t think the third round would have played any differently to the first two.
Five Word Review: Lots of fists and knees.

Volkan Oezdemir (206lbs, 13-1) vs. Misha Cirkunov (206lbs, 13-2) went about thirty seconds when Cirkunov swarmed Oezdemir and got caught with something, it was hard to see what, and was dropped. That was all she wrote and the fans went wild. The replay showed it was a short right hook behind the ear.
Five Word Review: Short, sharp shock for Cirkunov.

Alexander Gustafsson (205lbs, 17-4) vs. Glover Teixeira (206lbs, 26-5) was the main event and Gustafsson lived up to his nickname because he mauled Teixeira. The fight went four rounds and change and at no point in that time did Teixeira threaten Gustafsson. Teixeira had no answer for the speed, range or the movement of Gustafsson. He was getting lit up like the proverbial christmas tree. The only real offense Teixeira mustered saw him grappling with Gustafsson on the ground but that didn’t last long before Gustafsson was back on his feet. Gustafsson was on another level, tagging Teixeira almost at will and throwing all sorts of kicks and punches. Teixeira took a real beating but kept on coming, until a trio of uppercuts left Teixeira open for a right hook and knocked out silly and it was all over. This was a great showing by Gustafsson that should earn him the first shot at the winner of DC/Jones. Oh, and Gustafsson proposed to his girlfriend in his post-fight interview. And she said yes. A winner is him.
Five Word Review: A brutal one-sided beatdown.

This was a good night of action in front of a great crowd. It had its moments of boredom, sure, but overall, this one really delivered. And it was capped off with a marriage proposal. And she said yes. Only a heartless bastard would turn his nose up at that.

• Paid Members

I've got to admit, the 'run' bit was starting to annoy me a bit. I'm all for a guy fighting intelligently and avoiding counters but surely there's a way he can avoid damage without actually turning his back and running half way around the cage? Especially someone with the lanky frame of Gustafsson, you'd think he'd be able to stay out of range of the counters a bit easier than most. 

It's nitpicking but I just find it irritating to watch. He did it a bit in the Cormier fight as well, if I'm remembering that one right. 

Great, great performance aside from that though. His best showing in a while. I'd like to see rematches with Jones AND Cormier, to be honest. Both were such fantastic fights the first times we really can't lose either way. 

Knowing Jones' form though, if I was the UFC I'd tell Gus to stay ready and in shape incase he needs to step in in July. With the amount of times that DC vs Jones rematch has fallen apart there's a decent chance Gus gets a title shot sooner than we think. If not and DC vs Jones 2 does go ahead on July, then they should just sit Gus out now and the winner should hopefully be good to defend against him by October/November-ish. 

I think the running away was more to allow Gustafsson to get his back off the cage than avoiding Teixeira. I didn't mind it that much because at least it kept the action going rather than seeing both fighters clinched against the cage and the action slowing down.

• Paid Members

Gusty looked incredible. The speed on those combinations was scary. I got excited imagining it being Jon Jones head on the recieving end of those shots. 

I'm really looking forward to Gustafsson fighting the winner of the Cormier v Jones fight, hopefully in the autumn. Fingers crossed it's a fight between Gusty and DC first, with DC having gotten past Jones :)

Glover took a mammoth amount of shots though. Tough as bloody nails that man. 

• Paid Members

TIGER UPPERCUT! 

I was really impressed with Gusty's performance, but I couldn't help think that DC or Jones would have got Glover out there a lot earlier. Glover to his credit looked tough as nails. 

Probably means nothing when Gusty  fights DC or Jones, but it was something I was thinking throughout

• Paid Members

In fairness, Kisser, the referee could have stopped the fight a number of times, but allowed Glover the opportunity to fight on and get more head trauma. Earlier stoppage or not, it was a complete domination by Gus, even without a KO it was a champions-level performance.

Archived