What are your current viewing habits?

Undefeated Steak

Just curious. How often do you watch these days? I can't remember the last full show I watched. Tried getting into NXT and Smackdown again but they didn't keep my interest for more than a few weeks. I think I've missed the last two Takeovers as well. You'd think dipping your toes in every now and then would be like watching an old show out of context but there's so little character development that you stick a show on now and everybody feels like they're in the same place as they were a year ago. A few years back, not watching Wrestlemania would be unthinkable but I don't know more than one or two matches for this year's.

It's not like I'm not putting the effort into watching, I do try. But there just doesn't seem to be any of that special stuff that made wrestling good even up until relatively recently. Goldberg drew me back in for a bit but that soon wore off.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Edit: Slightly inspired from the What drew you back in thread, is there anything in particular that would draw you back in now if you no longer watch regularly?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll skim through the Youtube highlights the day after RAW and Smackdown but that's it as far as keeping up with the weekly WWE programming. NXT has struggled to keep me interested for a good year and a half now, and 205 Live doesn't particularly do anything for me. I'll always watch the Big 4 PPV's and Money in the Bank though, and depending if there's anything half decent I'll consider checking out any other of the PPV events such as Elimination Chamber and the like. 

I've also lessened the amount of American indies I watch quite drastically. ROH is as stagnant as it could ever be at the moment, PWG isn't the unmissable show it used to be with the exception of BOLA. CZW does fuck all for me. It's pretty much just EVOLVE and AAW I'll keep up with from the States.

British wrestling takes up the biggest chunk of my wrestling intake by a long shot. I could waste many weekends binging on the likes of PROGRESS, RevPro, FCP, ATTACK! and so on so forth. An increasingly exciting wrestling scene with some immensely talented workers, with many of these companies being a short train ride away.

I've never been an Indy dude so my habits of not watching any of it remain the same as they did when I was ten. In terms of WWE stuff:

Raw: I'll read the results on the app and watch YouTube highlights the morning after

Smackdown: See above

NXT: I don't watch as much as I used to, but it'll be switched on at some point during the week although often as background noise

205 Live: I think I've watched this once in total

PPVs and network specials: all of them, the state of the card influences whether I'll watch them live or the next day though, with the 'Big 4' its usually live.

• Awards Moderator

I only do WWE these days.

Raw: I'll watch a clip on WWE.com if there's a bit of an episode I like the sound of. I watch their exclusive PPVs selectively - just the few matches on each one I'm interested in (e.g. for Fastlane I watched Zayn vs. Joe and Goldberg vs. Owens and skipped most of the middle.)

SmackDown: As above, but I'll tend to watch the majority of one of their exclusive PPVs (up until Elimination Chamber I had watched them in full, but I only watched the main event for that one.)

Both-brand PPVs: I'll tend to watch these in full, and the pre-show matches on fast-forward.

205 Live: I can get through an episode in 15 minutes before work on a Wednesday.

NXT: I still watch this every week, but if I'm watching on mobile I'll use the 'skip 30 seconds' option on the Network a fair bit. I'll watch Takeovers in full.

Special Network shows like the CWC and UK Tournament I'll watch in full, because they've got a bit of 'the same but different' about them.

• Paid Members

Haven't watched any WWE since around the end of January. I have watched a couple of NJPW shows but even that couldn't sustain my interest. I'll be watching WrestleMania and if past years are anything to judge by, that'll be my in point again and I'll watch for a while.

I just don't have enough time at the moment to keep up with the weekly shows and other, non wrestling shows and activities.

NXT's the only show that I dig out weekly. Yes, the quality's dropped, but the different, more old-school(feeling) approach to booking and the enjoyment of watching talent given the chance to improve and develop (the crux of the whole show) still keeps my interest. It has risked treating itself as a separate brand, partly due to the positive online reactions they've nurtured and the buzz at live shows, which has meant some of the face talent seemed to have settled into too much of a main roster mindset of routines and spot tennis. There will still be a fair few more surprises, such as the rise of IconIc, and the one-hour format means it flies by.

Apart from that, I'll basically do a YouTube search for any segments or matches that get hyped on here, and I still give Wrestlemania and Wrestle Kingdom a go, albeit by nefarious means.

• Paid Members

I watch pretty much everything WWE put out (even Main Event! Great show for a hungover Saturday morning). I don't watch anything else at all though. Can't be doing with the US indies, not a fan of Puro and I've been meaning to check out more BritWres but never find the time. 

I have been falling asleep to 'Rasslin' the past few weeks though. Its a Roku channel which just shows random 70s/80s territory stuff. Although a lot of shit gets repeated on there, it's a fun watch.

• Paid Members

I'm a Youtube highlights type of person. If anything of major note happens I'll watch it. For instance I turned back on for Joe turning back up, but Steph drove me away within a few weeks.

Tend to read the threads on here for a perspective of whether it's worth my time or not.

My wrestling viewing is highly determined by what Rick says if I'm honest.

I sacked off my Network subscription after I'd pretty much watched all the old stuff I wanted to watch, and on third loop around decided it wasn't worth the money. If you could watch RAW immediately after I may still have it, but Kodi wins out on that front at the moment. Working Wrestlemania so won't even sign up to watch that live this year.

• Paid Members

I record Raw and SmackDown every week and watch them the following evening. Fast-forwarding through adverts, promotional vignettes, 'earlier tonight' segments and stuff involving New Day or Dolph Ziggler means that Raw might take about 90 minutes max to watch and SmackDown around an hour. It's quite manageable. Sometimes I'll find time to watch Talking Smack after SmackDown because it's actually pretty great most of the time and moves the angles along nicely. I watch NXT in full every week but since it's been in such a lull in recent months I am never in much of a hurry to get round to it. Usually put it on at some point over the weekend. I'm not currently in the habit of watching 205 Live but occasionally I will binge watch a few episodes back to back to get me back up to speed with what's going on. WWE is all I watch habitually, I currently don't bother with TNA or any indies.

Archived