Fantastic Words and Where to Find Them

Gus Mears

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I love words that are only known around your neck of the woods.

My family have referred to a Dog as a Whammel for as long as I can remember.

My Dad saying 'Jus tekkin Whammel furra run' was common place.

When I called a dog a whammel outside of Wolvo, I just got blank stares of puzzlement.

• Paid Members

My family live in Lancashire and it's great to hear my gran use the word "boiled" for being drunk. Never fails to make me chuckle. Also I don't get to use the word ramekin enough in day to day conversation.

Adam Buxton has a long routine about his class being "premium middle", which is characterised by people who buy the slightly more expensive puddings (like Gu) that come in a glass ramekin and how said people will stockpile millions of the things because they are so useful.

Defenestration, the act of throwing someone out of a window, is probably my favourite word in the English language. Derived from Latin, yes, but the mere fact that there is a word for throwing a bloke out of a window is a fantastic triumph of mankind. Gratuitous and brilliant. 

I love that word, more because it reminds me of the Defenestrator a character from Gath Ennis' comic Hitman which is an obvious Terminator look-a-like, who carries window panes around with him him.

1511247-defenestratoronaction.jpg

As for other interesting words classier names for stiffies are far funnier. E.G. tumescent or priapic are great words that most people don't know what they mean. As for a local dialect word, grockle is one I use way more than I should due to living in Devon for 25 years.

• Paid Members

Little known fact, I learned the word tumescence due to Butch using it on a few occasions.

Yeah, grockle is used a bit in Bristol too Rey, but mostly by Devonians who have moved up the Avon. By 'a bit' I mean 'the local rough boozer me and my ex missus used to go to'.

Shellacking is a cracking word. Onomatopoeic almost.   

• Paid Members

I fucking hate "grockle". They use it sneeringly in the seaside town my parents live in to describe all the summer tourists that they hate, despite them being the only reason any of the businesses survive in their shitehole. 

• Paid Members

Also has big bellend associations. Only ever heard it used in rough boozers by the bent banana brigade.

Lack of local West Country dialect outside of gurt and a few others. It's mostly just the indecipherable accent.

Curry Rival in Somerset takes some beating.

It's Curry Rivel, and we've got Chew Magna, Compton Dando, Nempnett Thrubwell and loads more like it in the same county... but mildly amusing place names could be worthy of another thread in itself.

To neatly bring things back on topic, I'll offer up 'onomastics' as "the study of the origin, history, and use of proper names". I like 'skulduggery' when people realise it doesn't have anything to do with skulls and spell it right. I also recently encountered 'superergatory', which apparently is a way of saying "beyond the call of duty" in a single word.

Archived