ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I'm with you there.

It adds some niggling doubts to what the show might end up like. I think most people will have the thought in the back of their minds that these shows may now be headlined by Magnus, Spud, and JJs' favourites from the other side of the pond (although I'm fine with Spud).

JJ's smart though and we don't know much so it's just doubts and thoughts in the back of the mind for now.

Do you base your life on defending Fludder?

Nah but some people seem to base their life writing utter shite about him.

ITV runs Preston & some people's first reaction is "OMG der invading Fludders territory!!!111"

Some people don't know the guy at all.

I've seen people insult him quite badly but I know bugger all about him from actual experience.

Anyway I expect he will like this, he will flyer and I think alot of the wrestlers he uses will be on this or could get added if he is involved. Would not be surprised if he was involved as he did a PCW vs GFW show before I think. However he does have a show on 26/5 in Bradford so may not be.

Told a guy at work about the news and he is delighted, he knows bugger all about the uk scene and only watches WWE but he can't wait.

• Paid Members

Had two emails inviting me to the press conference. Thought it'd just be media types that they'd invite.

I had three, all to the same email address. They’re certainly keen.

Maybe they need a website knocking up quick.

No, I'm with you there.

It adds some niggling doubts to what the show might end up like. I think most people will have the thought in the back of their minds that these shows may now be headlined by Magnus, Spud, and JJs' favourites from the other side of the pond (although I'm fine with Spud).

JJ's smart though and we don't know much so it's just doubts and thoughts in the back of the mind for now.

Doubtful, the press release is pretty strongly talking up the British aspect of the brand and talking about the UK wrestling scene. ITV wont have any interest in screening a knock off 'American pro wrestling' show when theres the proper boys on the Sky channel. They're pretty specifically targeting both a nostalgic audience and family viewers. Im fairly certain Jarrett and Anthem are being brought in to produce the show and use their expertise of putting together a televised wrestling show but they will be following very strict guidelines of what ITV wants. Otherwise they'd be sticking Impact on ITV3 and not bothering with all this.

The Guild Hall was built for the 1972 Guild (Guilds are every 20 years). Bowie was one of the first acts to peform there on the Ziggy Stardust Tour (literally just seen a bootleg of that posted elsewhere - really poor quality though). At the time of construction, it was supposedly state of the art, in terms of accoustics. Having seen & bootlegged many bands there myself, I'd tend to dispute that, but anyway. Lockley Grand Hall held around 2,200 for gigs, but with current Health & Safety that's undoubtedly less now + that figure included floor space, which is where I assume the ring will be positioned.

It was used during the 70s & 80s for "WoS" tapings & of course fucking snooker, so not a new venue. I also vaguley recall a wrestling show or shows being put on there in the early 90's - featuring for sake of argument, The Legend of Doom & similar spoof acts (Dixon perhaps?). I wouldn't describe it as intimate, but with the entertainment taking place on the floor, as opposed to stage, it naturally brings everything closer. The way they used to set it up for wrestling, meant you had one large, steep block of seats directly facing and more seating off to the right & left (with the stage behind). Seven or eight hundred would make it look reasonably well attended with that set-up. There are 2 other areas within the complex; the Foyer (where I saw The Stone Roses in '89), which is also the bar area. That holds around 500 and there's The Charter Theatre, a smaller seated venue holding, I dunno, seven hundred perhaps. Probably 25 years since I've been in there, so things may have changed, but if not, that's the lowdown.

This was from Preston Guild Hall:

The guy in the blue suit & T-shirt (front row) Tony, used to sell matchday programmes at North End. There was clearly something 'wrong' with him. He got badly beaten up by a bunch of Man Utd fans, before a Cup tie at Deepdale in 1971. Random.

• Paid Members

In a weird thing, PCW have moved their Saturday show to the afternoon to not clash with ITV, but ITV have only announced tapings on the Thursday and Friday thus far.

ZLrHk34.jpg

HkRc9uv.jpg

CUUbuqL.jpg

Archived