ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange to think that in Billy Riley & Ted Betley, England had 2 of the best wrestling coaches in the history of the sport. Sensei would've been a legitimately appropriate title for both men. Billy Robinson & Karl Gotch were revered in the U.S and considered as gods in Japan. Betley helped shape the careers of; The Dynamite Kid, Davey Boy and Steve Wright (Alex's dad).

Just on a side note, I gather Dynamite's doing OK at the moment. I have to assume that's compared to how he was a few months ago. Glad to hear there's been some improvement. I think the fella's suffered enough.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

I think it as an odd choice as you can get. He has no drawing power, James Storm or EC3 would have been better names. The only plus side is that you could see him as the kind of big man you sometimes did get on WOS.

No, he hasn't got drawing power but he's bit of an attraction I suppose.

I think at this stage they care less about drawing power than they do about compiling a visual spectacle that will grab the attention of casual channel hoppers. Your average ITV viewer doesn't give a shit about James Storm or EC3, but Kongo Kong's going to at least generate a double take.

• Paid Members

I think you've nailed it there, Zeb. The average ITV viewer isn't going to know or care who ANY of the wrestlers are, it's all about building characters (and making them unique) for the viewers to invest in. Every single contestant on X Factor (barring the odd returner) is a complete unknown, and the producers work to get them over as characters for the viewers. This isn't much different, except in theory you have much more creative reign with them.

I don't know who Kongo Kong is, I've heard the name mentioned (and at first confused him with Kongo Kev) but straight away I like the look of him and think he will stand out- much like Mighty John Quinn stood out in the old World of Sport days.

Archived