ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2018 at 8:28 PM, Your Fight Site said:

Not surprised. Was hardly an overnight sensation, and then they were charging stupid prices for tickets.

Admire their ambition, but execution left a little to be desired. 

Aberdeen was suppose to be in the Aberdeen Exhibition Conference Centre but just recently got moved to the Beach Ballroom. Now it's cancelled that's the people in Aberdeen & others who would be travelling been let down again this year by shows they seen on TV. First with 5 Star Wrestling and now with WOS Wrestling. 

1 hour ago, thescottishchamp87 said:

Aberdeen was suppose to be in the Aberdeen Exhibition Conference Centre but just recently got moved to the Beach Ballroom. Now it's cancelled that's the people in Aberdeen & others who would be travelling been let down again this year by shows they seen on TV. First with 5 Star Wrestling and now with WOS Wrestling. 

At least with wos they will get their money back. 

The worst of it is that Aberdeen has a good company in Wrestle Zone who run the Beach Ballroom for their big show and usually have a decent import on it alongside Grado and their own regulars. WoS rolling into town and then cancelling can have a knock on effect of families thinking all of these wrestling companies are unreliable. 

16 hours ago, thescottishchamp87 said:

Yes or change there ticket to another venue

But they cancelled the show after changing venue. My point in general was at least they didn't con people out of money like 5 star who were well aware they could not keep it going. Lots of people bought from them directly and did not get refunded. 

But in full truth I agree with mungo chutney. It does have a negative roll back and not just Aberdeen but the shows in Bournemouth or Scarborough plus any fans who planned on travelling, it could knock on to their local shows. 

I also expect some kids may have got this as a Christmas present (not many probably but 1 is enough). this late cancellation means parents going and buying last minute,which is a shame. 

The infuriating thing for me here, is that the people involved in WOS Wrestling have form. It's not the first time they have come up with the idea of doing massive shows with talent that generally only commands smaller attendances.

I know it is easy for me to say now, but i knew this venture was doomed.

Maybe the brains behind this tour is obsessed with selling out the Coventry Skydome? :D :D :D

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

booking huge venues always puzzles me, same with 5 Star Wrestling, these people cant genuinely think they are filling these venues.

Why shouldn't they? I don't think they necessarily think they'll sell out - WWE aren't even selling out some of their TV tapings at this point and tarp off sections of the arena. Anyone in their right mind would want their promotion to be held in big arenas with killer production values etc. Ok, it's rarely been successful for smaller promotions here, but it isn't exactly a puzzling notion that promoters would, in theory, want to their shows to take place in better venues than town halls, leisure centres and the like. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

booking huge venues always puzzles me, same with 5 Star Wrestling, these people cant genuinely think they are filling these venues.

I went to the 5 Star of MMA a few years ago. They booked the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle for their first show. The floor seats weren’t full, and there was a small smattering of people in the raised seats. They folded after that show, most likely under crippling debt.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Why shouldn't they? I don't think they necessarily think they'll sell out - WWE aren't even selling out some of their TV tapings at this point and tarp off sections of the arena. Anyone in their right mind would want their promotion to be held in big arenas with killer production values etc. Ok, it's rarely been successful for smaller promotions here, but it isn't exactly a puzzling notion that promoters would, in theory, want to their shows to take place in better venues than town halls, leisure centres and the like. 

There’s a difference between wanting or aspiring to hold shows in larger venues, and booking a large venue such as a 10,000-seat arena and thinking you’re going to fill those seats with paying fans. Especially as—you rightly point out—the biggest promoter (WWE) is unable to, even with their name value and marketing machine behind them.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

It some ways you have to credit 5 Star with more intelligence than WOS Wrestling!!!! (or neither).

At least 5 Star had proper International Talent booked, to in theory draw an Arena sized crowd. What were WOS thinking about? Maybe they thought punters would be so engrossed in their truly awful TV shows, that they would sleep outside venues waiting for tickets to go on sale?

Also if you look at the venues, there appears to be turf wars breaking out. With ASW/Megaslam doing Stoke, RevPro at London, PCW at Blackpool and others already mentioned. So they are probably making enemies, which is crazy if you already have the biggest enemy of all in the WWE.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Also if you look at the venues, there appears to be turf wars breaking out. With ASW/Megaslam doing Stoke, RevPro at London, PCW at Blackpool and others already mentioned. So they are probably making enemies, which is crazy if you already have the biggest enemy of all in the WWE.

Promoters being protective of their areas is hardly a new practice…

• Paid Members

I don't think it's unreasonable for a promotion with the best timeslot any wrestling show has had in the UK for 30+ years should attempt to run decent sized venues. That they haven't managed to do so is a shortcoming of their local advertising as much as anything - if anyone had the means, it was them.

1 minute ago, Your Fight Site said:

Promoters being protective of their areas is hardly a new practice…

I am well aware of this.

My point is that if you are going to embark on a new venture with potential financial risks, why piss off all of those around you? There are tonnes of venues up and down the country that are untouched by wrestling. This comes off the back of a mainstream TV Series, so it's not like you could say "It's not a wrestling city" because every city has seen your TV show.

WOS Wrestling knew damn well what they were doing and pissing off multiple promoters in one go, could cause you major headaches if they choose to hit back. Putting on these type of shows is hard enough, without that kind of thing going on. It's almost like they are trying to push the self destruct button.

I don't care what anyone says. Off the back of  very poor TV shows, this tour was a bad idea that was never going to end in a good way.

Archived