Names that define a horrible period

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

THE ANONYMOUS RAW GM

You know what I hate most about this angle?

I bought it. Lapped it right up. Worked like a canary down the mine. The embarrassment I felt when it turned it to be fucking Hornswoggle. I thought it was going to be some massive storyline but nah, it's Hornswoggle and he's McMahon's bastard son. Was that even the same angle, fuck knows, there's been so much shit thrown at the fan (literally and figuratively), that it gets hard to seperate.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

MISTEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR ANNNNNNNDERSOOOOOOOOOON

ANNNNNNNDERSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

• Paid Members

The Goon, Issac Yankem, Duke The Dumpster Drosse, Dean Douglas etc.

Basically sums up that awful period where practically the whole of the WWF's midcard had second jobs. I don't think the WWF's ever been in a worse place creatively really. They desperately needed to create new stars to replace the old Cartoon-era guys and yet it felt like they were just going "Ah fuck it. Let's make him a plumber".

I didnt really get most of WWE's midcard in the mid 00's. Vladimir Kozlov, Mr Kennedy, Carlito, Deuce and Domino. Developmental was pretty much a conveyor belt of shit at this point.

Might be controversial bit Dolph Ziggler is in this territory for me too.

• Paid Members

THE ANONYMOUS RAW GM

I bought it. Lapped it right up. Worked like a canary down the mine. The embarrassment I felt when it turned it to be fucking Hornswoggle. I thought it was going to be some massive storyline but nah, it's Hornswoggle and he's McMahon's bastard son. Was that even the same angle, fuck knows, there's been so much shit thrown at the fan (literally and figuratively), that it gets hard to seperate.

I don't think any period of wrestling has melted into one dull blur quite like that time did. Everything from about 2007-2012 may as well have been the same show in my head. 

Christ, having 'Nam flashbacks. Vince really did have some absolute stinkers during that time frame. Faking his death about a week before Benoit killed his family, the illegitimate son storyline. MCMAHON MILLION DOLLAR MANIA! I seem to remember those giveaway segments being incredibly embarrassing with Vince struggling to operate the phone and barking loads. 

The only good thing that came out of that was Vince getting Rick'Rolled by an answering machine and him having absolutely no idea what was going on because it wasn't playing ZZ Top. 

1995 remains pretty much the only time I stopped watching wrestling voluntarily. It was a combo of things, the second-job guys mentioned by Unfitfinlay above, but the steaming turd in the crown was Mantaur. Nothing against the guy, I'm sure he's a lovely fella. It was simply that Droese was a bin-man, IRS was the tax guy, and they'd apparently run out of ideas and decided to rip off the Minotaur from mythology. His costume was terrible, his gimmick was terrible, the paint that was supposed to represent horns... at this point I was starting to realise that at 15, maybe watching play-fighting in spandex was not the doorway to being cool, and when I got spotted reading the WWF magazine in a local shop, looking at a picture of Mantaur as one of my class hard kids loomed over my shoulder made me decide at that point maybe it was time to try something else.

• Paid Members

Aoife (my missus' name) - Every poxy month I get venomously shouted at for something as trivial as leaving a grill on, yet I have to look down the pot first thing in the morning when having a widdle and see what looks like a scene from Cannibal Holocaust looking back at me.

I liked Savio. I thought he was a solid wrestler who had really good matches with Jarrett, Goldust, Bradshaw, Austin and others.

It's not too much of a stretch to call him a Puerto Rico legend either. He was a really big deal there in the late 80s as TNT and again later, after his WWF run as Savio.

Also, Teddy Long as Smackdown General Manager

Every week saw the same shenanigans that made me nearly turn the channel over... one guy cuts a promo, another interrupts, followed by two more interruptions.. out comes teddy with "hold on a second playas, since the four of you cant seem to get along i'm gonna put you in a tag-team match against eachother"..... 

THE ANONYMOUS RAW GM

No, the McMahon son thing was years before the Anonymous GM. Hornswoggle being revealed as the Anonymous GM was ages after the Anon GM phase actually ended as well, I think it was a year or two later. They did a month on Raw of bringing back old GMs, and brought that one back for the joke reveal of it being him.

Archived