WWE in talks to buyout Ring of Honor

Psygnosis

This has got to be for the library isn't it? With AJ, Joe, Bryan, Aries, Zayn and so on, there's loads of footage they'd want there.

I was talking to a mate about that this morning. Network content and DVD comps.

The article mentioned about a potential deal bringing ROH TV to the network, which could be similar to the deals that WWE are supposedly finalising with ICW and PROGRESS.

It depends on the details of the deal.

If it's WWE Network giving these smaller promotions another avenue of exposure, I.e places like ICW and Progress get to keep their own respective OnDemand services, then it opens them up to a lot of new (potential) punters. However, you've got to think that a fair amount of those are already subscribed to WWE Network and other promotions OD already. I think the key thing for ROH, Progress et al is just getting their name out there to as many people as possible, that's just basic marketing.

It depends how much of their content they give over to WWE Network and what remains on their own OD as to how it can be beneficial to both parties. If they give over everything then people are just going to end up picking one over the other and then no-one benefits.

Either way, if the biggest wrestling promotion on the planet is offering to distribute your content to such a wide fanbase, they'd be fools to not consider it. It just depends what your willing to sacrifice for the potential benefits down the line.

Having said that, if these promotions had been around in the 00's (I know ROH were), there's no way these deals would have even got past being suggested followed by Vince taking 15minutes to respond as he was too busy gutlaughing.

Having said that, I don't think there are any competitors worthy of Vince's attention anymore to be honest, he can leave that to Triple H. Nobody does anywhere near the numbers that should prompt anything more than a line on a report to the CEO

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Will wrestling evolve in the future with WWE 'Pepsi Co'ing' the business like in 2001 eventually lead to the evolved style becoming the new 'cookie cutter' wrestler of the mid 2000's. Just a weird lacking sleep thought there.

Basically I see WWE being like those Alex Shane wristbands

Oh, and the fans. I finally understand where folk are coming from when they complain about fans. I got sat in front of the world's biggest bell end who actually thought he was a part of the show. Cool section indeed!

That can't be right. Green Lantern Fan is always in the front row, you can't sit in front of him.

• Paid Members

Obviously I'm not comparing the two scenarios, but it is somewhat amusing that the news of WWE trying to buy out another company comes 16 years to the day that their buyout of WCW was completed.   

• Paid Members

Obviously I'm not comparing the two scenarios, but it is somewhat amusing that the news of WWE trying to buy out another company comes 16 years to the day that their buyout of WCW was completed.   

16 years?! I now feel old :(

Cue an 'Invasion of the Indies' storyline where Shane is the new owner of ROH, Steph's in charge of ICW etc.

Cue an 'Invasion of the Indies' storyline where Shane is the new owner of ROH, Steph's in charge of ICW etc.

I'd be suprised if Reddit haven't booked the whole thing already, with inevitable CM Punk beating HHH at Wrestlemania ending

I'd be suprised if Reddit haven't booked the whole thing already, with inevitable CM Punk beating HHH at Wrestlemania ending

HHH would probably call dibs on PWG. And if that led to Cena vs Super Dragon at 'Mania I'd be okay with it.

Or, even better (well, in my eyes anyway), HHH takes over ISW and we get Cena vs Giant Tiger. I'd pay good money to see that.

• Paid Members

And could it be possible that they'd end up paying more, or at least a comparable amount, for ROH? That'd be mental if you think about it.

Didn't WWE actually make money on the purchase of WCW, or is that just received wisdom bullshit?

I have it in my head that, because of how far in arrears PPV revenue was paid to the content provider, WWE ended up receiving PPV payments for WCW shows that totalled more than the purchase outlay they made. 

I suspect WWE are buying ROH for its back catalogue. They wouldn't need to buy them for their talent, TV slot or loive shows. There is a lot of good footage that WWE could use on the network or for future Network projects. I believe that is why they probably looked at TNA. I cannot see any other promotions out there that WWE would want to buy for any other reason than its Video Library.

WWE recently bid for the NWA footage but the offer was a little low and in the end NWA decided to setup their own on-demand service and the WWE rep chasing the deal lost her job.

• Paid Members

https://clyp.it/rpsx4xen

Meltzer says they have no intentions of keeping it going. Its just for the library.

Makes sense, otherwise I have no idea what they'd need it for. No point in absorbing it into NXT, which is a bigger brand anyway.

This could be great for those (like me) that were gutted when Young Bucks signed a deal with ROH until December 2018, as there's a chance we could see them in WWE now. Plus Dalton Castle, Silas Young and War Machine. Wonder if this is why they haven't signed some of the guys yet as expected this year, like O'Reilly and Adam Cole, as a takeover should probably include their contracts.

• Paid Members

The UK will be next. If WWE want their own UK based promotion, everyone is going to die if they have their way. It really serves WWE well (nobody else, mind) that the business is ran by a bunch of marks these days. They'll stick you in the front row of a WWE show and you'll get all excited that you've met Triple H, and then eventually they'll eat you up and squash you.

That's why I admired Ricky Knight the other week. He got done over by them and never hid from it. He pretty much came out and said "this is my living, fuck off."

Archived