UFC 211: Miocic vs Dos Santos 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the two Embedded episodes are doing are reinforcing that Miocic and JDS are two big hulking man children trapped in an adults body. 

Joanna is my highlight though. Days before a massive title defence and she's walking around in a woolly sheep jumper, eating cupcakes and drinking iced coffee. You would have no idea if you were on the outside looking in how much of a killer she is. Love her. It's a shame that Andrade is coming off well on these episodes too, because it's making it hard for me to wish a beating on her :(.

• Paid Members

Yeah I like Andrade. I've liked most of Joanna's opponents to be fair. Kowalkiewicz, Gadelha, Letourneau, Penne. They all seem nice enough. Not since Esparza have I really 100% fully enjoyed the bloodshed dished out by JJ.

It's the way she does it as as well. Because she lacks a bit in power, it's often a slow and methodical dismantling. She's like a sinister surgeon in there. Her last couple of fights have been closer though. And I actually thought they were two of the more underrated fights (vs Kowalkiewicz and Gadelha) of 2016. 

I love watching Joanna fight. She's easily one of my favourite current fighters. As much credit as she's given for her striking, I don't think her overall game is appreciated enough. Her defensive grappling is excellent. If it wasn't I think she'd have lost a while back. Her being so hard to take down just adds to the misery for her opponents because it means they have no option but to stand with her. Even the few times we've seen her taken down, she's made the opponent work so hard for it that when she inevitably pops back up, it makes them think twice trying again and sapping their cardio reserves. Also, her toughness and heart. She got dropped clean by Kowalkiewicz, she went through rough spells in the two Gadelha fights and she's come out of a few fights banged up and it never slows her down at all. She's like a little Terminator. 

Green vs Mundine was an Australian money match because both are two of the most successful "big name" Australian boxers of the last fifteen years, both are totally shot to pieces though and living of the past.

Get some Jeff Fenech watched if you want to see some Aussie boxing greatness. His first fight with the legendary Azumah Nelson is one for the ages. 

Much appreciated guys. I'll start getting on all these recommendations when I finish work this arvo.

I love Joanna Champion. Such a sweet little badass. Simultaneously cute and terrifying. Watched Joanna vs. Jessica Penne the other night, damn that was brutal. Flurry after flurry, turning Penne into mince meat.

Such a ridiculous amount of things to look forward to at UFC 211.

• Paid Members

Is it just modern boxing you've not been a fan of, Shane? 'Cos if it's just boxing in general, you really can't go wrong with Ali vs. Frazier 3 (The Thrilla in Manila), or any of the fights between the four great 80s middleweights of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran.

• Paid Members

Fuck this boxing bollocks!

Anyway, this card is just an absolute nightmare to predict. I've gone back and forth with the main event so many times but I'm going with Stipe for the win. I do think that first JDS fight changed him as a fighter, and for the better as well. He's been hilarious so far in the embedded videos too. He's truly started to come into his own as a personality and you can see the confidence oozing from him.

The co-main as well is a nightmare to predict too. I'm sticking with Andrade though as she's an absolute beast and she could feasibly overpower JJ and walk through her shots, but again, JJ showed she can handle beasts with her performances against Gadelha. Ridiculously hard to predict.

Then the rest is just as much a nightmare to call, but maybe Maia/Masvidal is the easier to pick from the main card.

So from prelims headliner and up I'm going with Alvarez (which to note is crazy considering he headlined New York last time out), Cejudo, Maia, Andrade and Miocic. I can't fucking make up my mind with Edgar/Yair though, so I'm just randomly going for Edgar utilising his wrestling.

Yep, back to the MMA! I've got a ton of boxing, new and old, to watch, so that's me set. Watched Gatti vs. Ward 1 yesterday, and holy fuck that was awesome. Like a different sport entirely.

In some shit news, Henry Cejudo is injured, taking the fight with Sergio Pettis off the card. Jotko vs. Branch has been elevated to main card in its place.

• Paid Members

How do you get injured this late in the game? It's the fucking Thursday of fight week. Training would be all done now and all you'd be doing is trying to make weight and doing media. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

How do you get injured this late in the game? It's the fucking Thursday of fight week. Training would be all done now and all you'd be doing is trying to make weight and doing media. 

Apparently it was injured a while out and was told it would heal as it wasn't broken. They did work around the injury and they went ahead with the recommendation and when he started to do some pad work during this week the pain was still there. 

That said, it's ridiculous he didn't pull out earlier as there may have been the possibility of finding a replacement for Pettis.

I've also changed my mind with Edgar/Rodriguez. I'm not sure if anyone saw the media day staredowns, but the size advantage for Yair was fucking scary.

10174408.jpg

Also worth noting, you've got to admire Masvidal's confidence going into this Maia fight, the guy is absolutely convinced of victory. 

• Paid Members

That's a ridiculous size difference. Reckon Yair can stop the takedown? That's got to be Edgar's gameplan as his normal stick & move striking will be very difficult with such a reach advantage.

Archived