WWE United Kingdom Championship Live - Epic Studios, Norwich May 6th &

AnotherCrapUsername

53 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Somebody should let Nigel know that if he makes up the same 'mean streets' backstory for every man on the show it isn't going to help establish any individual characters.

I like how he made Birmingham out to be one of the roughest places in the country. I mean, I'm sure there are rough areas, but isn't it technically the second biggest city in the country? Imagine if the announcers described the U.S. cities that way, "Cole, don't venture out on to the streets of Chicago after dark, you might get mugged!" 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
7 minutes ago, ClassicsGuy said:

Is it really something to be arsed about though?

As a contributing factor to what I felt was overall a poorly produced show, yes. Along with the muffled sound of the announcer and the entrance music. These things made the show come across a bit cheap. No idea why you're being a bit precious. It's not as though I'm being a bit FelatioLips- I absolutely loved the tournament but I think this was a petty big step down in virtually every department, which is a shame.

54 minutes ago, ClassicsGuy said:

I like how he made Birmingham out to be one of the roughest places in the country. I mean, I'm sure there are rough areas, but isn't it technically the second biggest city in the country? Imagine if the announcers described the U.S. cities that way, "Cole, don't venture out on to the streets of Chicago after dark, you might get mugged!" 

Chicago was responsible for half of the rise in violent crime across the whole country last year, the south side is dangerous as fuck.  And yes, Birmingham is rough, there is a load of gang related violence there.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I absolutely loved the tournament but I think this was a petty big step down in virtually every department, which is a shame.

I felt the same about it. If they were to put something like this out on a regular basis, I doubt I'd be bothered following it.

• Paid Members

The last two matches were great. The problem with the show is that the format wasn't quite a weekly TV episode and wasn't quite a standalone event, and it wound up having the benefits of neither.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Chicago was responsible for half of the rise in violent crime across the whole country last year, the south side is dangerous as fuck.  And yes, Birmingham is rough, there is a load of gang related violence there.

Jim Lee, who started Attack with Pete Dunne, was recently talking about how one of their early shows was going to be at the venue nearest Dunne's house, but the police banned it because there'd been a boxing show there recently that wound up with crowd members brawling outside and a bloke bringing a machete.

I'm going to have to upload Triple H being confused as fuck at an Alan Partridge chant on the YouTube later on

Is weird that night 1 was pretty much null. And the tag with the 205 guys was good fun but didn't feel all that relevant. 

Anyway yeah having watched this back, the two great matches are still great, JR and Nige were pretty poor though thought they improved calling the Takeover match. Sound quality was disappointing. No shots of me drunkenly taunting heels next to the ramp on the first night was disappointing (although also probably a blessing in disguise) 

But yeah they need more talent. We all know how good Peter and Tyler are. Andrews too. Trent and Wolfgang very good but a notch below. Nothing that interesting elsewhere, Conners talking is Bad - seems they want to make him some kind of faction leader? No thanks. T-Bone has an alright gimmick but can't do the accent so what's the point. Roy Johnson is fun, but niche taste as a personality. Moloney has potential possibly. Drake's mouth is too big. Gradwell looks like too many footballers/darts players/Voldemort to ever get taken seriously, and the Jesus guy can pretty much fuck off. 

There was no sign of Tucker, the guy with the sick kick who stole the first round with Bate, or Baby Balor who I was looking forward to booing. No Burch/Martin Stone either. I'd easily trade those 3 for some of the other lowercarders

They didn't need to sign someone totally new in time for this, but 'here's Jack Gallagher' would've freshened things up a little. Hopefully some really exciting signings still to come. 

Classicsguy is right - "SOME" areas of Birmingham are rough, not the whole of Birmingham.

Yes the area you are referring to - Chelmsley Wood is one of them, along with Aston, Newtown, Handsworth etc.

Equally there are plenty areas of Birmingham that are not "rough" or full of gang violence - Great Barr, Sutton Coldfield, Bournville, Harborne etc etc

Its not the whole of the city, same as London, Manchester, Leeds etc.

Incidentally worldatlas claim that Coventry is the most dangerous city in the UK, particularly the "Willenhall, Foleshill, Hillfields and Wood End areas" based on 

"perceived threat of being annoyed, harassed, insulted, or solicited by locals, perception of crime levels, recent changes in crime, safety walking alone and fear of muggings or robberies."

• Paid Members

The show was crying out for a 6 man tag with all UK guys, just chuck them in and have a 10 minute spot-fest to get someone over. At the moment none of them have a character, apart from Dunne and T-Bone (who they don't seem to know what to do with at the min).

The studio setting really was an odd choice and with hindsight it has to have been purely to get at the Knights, it really didn't fit in with what people expect from WWE, even at an NXT level. 

And that greenscreen was shit. Anything that takes you out of the show, regardless of if its for a few seconds, is a mistake and it wasn't needed. Especially is a show that that the time for post production.

• Paid Members

Production was dreadful but the matches were good. Tyler Bate vs Mandrews had me cheering in my living room.

I reckon they'd have done better to tape the matches these guys had on the recent UK tour and cut the footage together to make a TV show but I appreciate that two of the matches they filmed built up to Takeover.

I have a feeling they wanted to put together two weeks of TV from the Norwich footage but didn't realise how bad the production was until it was too late so opted for a one night special and hoped for the best.

1 hour ago, midlandsfirst said:

Incidentally worldatlas claim that Coventry is the most dangerous city in the UK, particularly the "Willenhall, Foleshill, Hillfields and Wood End areas" based on 

"perceived threat of being annoyed, harassed, insulted, or solicited by locals, perception of crime levels, recent changes in crime, safety walking alone and fear of muggings or robberies."

Winning. Coventry, la la la.... Coventry, la la laaaaaa....

• Paid Members

Bate/Mandrews was good, but Dunne/Seven was far better, for me. Dunne's at his best, and they work a logical story around the arm injury that felt almost shockingly refreshing, something so simple and straightforward done so well on a WWE show.

The rest of the show was a waste of time. In a WWE context, I don't care about Wolfgang or Conners, they're just two blokes, and they gave me no reason to care about them. 205 Live + Dan Moloney was mental booking, and wrestled like a lazy house show match, complete with comedy "heel accidentally beats up on his partner's arm, and his partner inexplicably loses the power of speech to tell him to spot" spot. When advertising 205 Live talent for a British show, you'd think they'd have brought Jack Gallagher and Neville, but nope, TJ sodding P.

Production was awful, as everyone else has said, and made the whole show look second rate.

JR was dismal. I've read elsewhere that apparently he's signed on to announce "all future tournaments" for WWE, including the Women's one. Fuck knows why, considering he couldn't even be bothered learning the name of the champion, let alone any of the wrestler's backstories. He added nothing, and Nigel was no better.

Archived