ITV and Anthem Sports reach a deal on forming a new promotion

Psygnosis

• Paid Members

I don't think they'd be showing Impact on ITV if they've just signed the deal to be on Spike. Why show an edited version of a show that's being shown on another channel regularly? It'd be like sticking the Coronation Street Omnibus on BBC2.

• Paid Members

Fair enough, it hasn't been properly announced yet, and this isn't a knock on anyone. But it's fascinating that a thread on British wrestling returning full-time to network telly can garner less than two pages of posts, yet a WWE Network show that's available to the fans hardcore enough to pay a tenner a month to watch more wrestling, has blown up in relation.

Don't know if this is an indication of just how much of a shadow the WWE casts on the wrestling industry, but its interesting nevertheless.

My twopenne'th ...

This country needs a showcase like this on terrestrial TV, & the pool of talent not scooped up by WWE/TNA/ROH/NJPW, etc. that remain in the UK will battle tooth & nail to get a place in the "company" & make this a real thing, not just the pipe dream of a few select "industry insiders".

From east to west, north to south, there's a plethora of amazing talent, in-ring & in the production side of things, that need an outlet on a grand scale.

Personally, I hope they have their rings & cages made by the best in the UK ... Wrestling Rings UK.

Fair enough, it hasn't been properly announced yet, and this isn't a knock on anyone. But it's fascinating that a thread on British wrestling returning full-time to network telly can garner less than two pages of posts, yet a WWE Network show that's available to the fans hardcore enough to pay a tenner a month to watch more wrestling, has blown up in relation.

Don't know if this is an indication of just how much of a shadow the WWE casts on the wrestling industry, but its interesting nevertheless.

For me, it's something that I'll be far more interested in when there's details.

From my perspective:

World of Sport was okay for what it was.

ITV aren't that knowledgeable in today's wrestling market.

Anthem are fairly unproven in terms of what they can offer.

So a combination of the above isn't getting me that excited yet, and I think a fair few people feel the same way, especially with lack of info. It's more of a wait and see thing compared to the WWE UK business which has already proven itself to be a decent show.

• Paid Members

I don't think it's because of WWE casting a shadow, although their threads will naturally have more posts, it's natural for the biggest promotion in the world. But it isn't purely because of this because the WoS thread had plenty of traffic in it before, during and after the show aired.

I think DavidB above covered it best when he said he'd be far more interested when there are details- and I fully agree. At the moment nobody knows fuck all- is this going to be Impact, WoS, a combination of the both or Magnus running around in his pants? Nobody knows, but then again it's early days. Tongues will start wagging on here as soon as Double J reveals more, I'm sure of it.

Personally, ill be very interested in this compared with the WWE show, which I probably wont watch a minute of. But until theres more than rumours, theres not a lot to talk about. As has been said though, its amazing to think that there might be a wrestling show back on terrestrial and potentially prime time too. Not only that, but its like the WOS special, it'll be a polished production and not something that gives off a small time feel about wrestling in this country, which has been a huge problem for a very long time.

Archived