ITV and Anthem Sports reach a deal on forming a new promotion

Psygnosis

• Paid Members
"It will likely be announced shortly that new Impact Wrestling owners Anthem Entertainment and ITV

have reached a deal. This was the deal Jeff Jarrett was working on as 

ITV wants a wrestling show for the U.K. but doesn't want to run a 

wrestling promotion. So the two companies will be partnering in some 

form on a promotion."

Not sure where to put this as we don't know if its tied to Impact or not but this is from Meltzer.

• Paid Members

Think everyone could tell the pilot was done with minimal input from wrestling people. They leaned a lot on the one member of the production staff who was a big ICW fan it seemed. Jarrett etc running it, is at least better than that. 

Guessing it will be a "Global Force/Anthem Presents" kind of deal. Kind of like Ring Ka King but with loads of Magnus, probably.

Why do I have a feeling Magnus will turn up in NXT before long considering how many ex TNA are there right now and Mickie James returned? He'd be following the Bollywood Boyz who vacated the GFW Tag Championship after signing. Him and Christina Von Eerie (had a brief stint in TNA as Toxxin. She was Ink Inc's valet) are the only 2 Champions left from the 2015 tapings. You have to wonder how long they'll go with it before they lose the belts or get vacated.

• Paid Members

Why do I have a feeling Magnus will turn up in NXT before long considering how many ex TNA are there right now and Mickie James returned?

Seeing as he has been out of contract for a while now, I'd have thought he'd be there by now if they were that interested. The old TNA guys there at the moment, they were genuine difference-makers in TNA, so it's little wonder that WWE have brought them in.

I'm more surprised that we haven't seen Alex Shelley in NXT/WWE in some capacity by now.

Isn't Magnus back with TNA now?

Yes, he re-signed with Impact and appeared at the Impact tv tapings last week. He wrestles on the April 13th edition of Impact in the big Team JB vs Team Josh 8 man tag with Josh's announcers job on the line.

Even with Anthem involved, I still imagine they'll be using the World of Sport name and brand.

ITV just wanted people with experience of producing a high level weekly wrestling show to be running it. 

Pretty certain Jim Ross will be announcing the show too, as he's been involved in the negotiations with ITV, both in England and Los Angeles. Said so on his blog quite frequently of late.

To be honest it could be good for both if they want to raise tours. A WOS VS IMPACT tour could be fun, only have to be at 1000-2000 people venues and bring over 8-10 Impact wrestlers and use WOS wrestlers along side and all good. Also WOS could get some of their head liners having matches on Impact or on one of their 2 ppvs. Impact will see it as a chance to advertise.

• Paid Members

To be honest it could be good for both if they want to raise tours. A WOS VS IMPACT tour could be fun, only have to be at 1000-2000 people venues and bring over 8-10 Impact wrestlers and use WOS wrestlers along side and all good. Also WOS could get some of their head liners having matches on Impact or on one of their 2 ppvs. Impact will see it as a chance to advertise.

Sounds like an ideal 'One Night Only' PPV to me.

• Paid Members

Perhaps ITV don't see any value in an American promotion on their networks, but they do see value in British wrestling? It wouldn't surprise me. You look at ITV and other than movies, there is very little (if any) American television. Plenty of American TV format inspired shows, such as Ninja Warrior and Jeremy Kyle, but they do tend to keep things British.

But as many others have mentioned, you have the opportunity for some interesting cross-promotion shows here.

Well as TNA do bulk tapings surely it could be quite easy to do a 6 week on TV feud just taking a hand full of people over and I assume the reverse could be done so cross promotion could be interesting.

Punkstep makes a point about ITV not really showing American shows and probably the reason they were happy for Impact to be on Spike and Spike would be happy as they would look at it as people see Eddie Edwards on WOS then they may want to see him on Impact and decide to watch that also. I like the idea and hope it turns out well.

Perhaps ITV don't see any value in an American promotion on their networks, but they do see value in British wrestling? 

Pretty sure that's exactly what it is. And so they should, as it's the British scene that's hot. You only have to look at WWE's moves trying to exploit this, and also try to combat ITV's moves.

Archived