The Chosen One(s)

HarmonicGenerator

I suppose they might have been fluffing Mr (fucking) Kennedy for this role too, until more established guys like Orton took a dislike to him

How much of the dislike of Reigns is to do with Daniel Bryan? Stevie Wonder could see that every man and his dog loved Bryan yet WWE seemed determined not to acknowledge it and continued to shove Reigns down people's throats

If there wasn't a Bryan around who was as outrageously popular at the same time as Reigns was being pushed to the moon, would Reigns have ended up being loathed so much? A reaction he currently seems to be stuck with

• Paid Members

Austin was never the Chosen One. He was never destined by anyone in WWF to be a top star.

He was hired to be a solid worker, a 'good hand'. Vince didn't even think he could talk, which is why they put him with DiBiase at first.

Austin got himself over and then WWE latched onto him and pushed him to the moon.

That's the key thing for me though. They latched onto him and pushed him to the moon. It's not like they gave him the title because they didn't have anyone else or for his long service or something. Once they latched on, he became a Chosen One - they built the company around him for years, that can't be credited completely to Austin!

It doesn't take a great promoter to realise someone is getting over and going with it though [although WWE has shown they struggle to even do that in some instances these days]

Rocky, due to his looks and lineage, WAS a chosen one right from the start - how he was booked early on was evidence of that. Same with Reigns. Austin wasn't. He BECAME the Chosen One, sure, but that was after he gave WWF a reason to care. Shit, he wasn't even booked to win King of the Ring where he cut the Austin 3:16 promo, HHH was. It was only due to the MSG Curtain Call that plan was culled.

Of course it was WWF and Austin together that caused him to go stratospheric but 'Chosen One' to me indicates someone Vince, or whoever, sees almost right from the start and goes 'Yup, that's my guy!' and that was not the case with Austin.

Yeah, that's fair. Austin's slightly different then - but I'll maintain that WWE could have almost as easily decided not to go with that momentum he'd started to gather and just ignored it to stick with the plan. Austin made them change the plan so that he WAS the plan, but it's not hard to imagine if a similar scenario began to emerge today it would go down differently - either WWE wouldn't go with it, or they'd go with it big-time and fans would probably turn against it. That WWE managed to play the rise of Austin so well is a great credit to them, and I'll maintain that becoming a Chosen One still makes you one at some point - it's not like he was a top star against their better judgement or anything. Once they realised what they had, they made the most of it. But okay, I'll give up Austin as being different!

I still think I'm on the right track with the others though?

It's odd to contrast the Austin/Daniel Bryan rises where it still felt like they weren't entirely behind Daniel Bryan for whatever reason (injuries aside). I wonder whether a Steve Austin would be able to get into that position nowadays.

I think a lot of the reaction to Reigns may also be his lack of distance from the Shield. If he had a fresh look and theme rather than looking like he's been drawing on his Shield gear and clinging to the ideal while Rollins and Ambrose have reinvented themselves people might not be quite as averse to him.

• Awards Moderator

I forgot about Lashley. There never seemed to be a massive backlash to him like with Cena. Whether that was because the push only lasted a few months before he buggered off or because he never quite got to the top, I don't know. I think the reason you can't think of anyone between him and Reigns is because the combination of Lesnar leaving after two years and then Lashley leaving after so much effort had been put into him burned them on giving anyone else a megapush for ages afterwards. Speaks volumes of their confidence and trust in Reigns that he's had the push he's had.

Lashley is a great call. The guy represents Trump at WrestleMania! The backlash against him was huge online, not at crowds the way it is today. I remember several on here complaining about his gigantic baby face.

The obvious answer here is Luger, surely.

How much of the dislike of Reigns is to do with Daniel Bryan? Stevie Wonder could see that every man and his dog loved Bryan yet WWE seemed determined not to acknowledge it and continued to shove Reigns down people's throats

If there wasn't a Bryan around who was as outrageously popular at the same time as Reigns was being pushed to the moon, would Reigns have ended up being loathed so much? A reaction he currently seems to be stuck with

They would've booed anyone winning the Rumble that year. Wouldn't have made much difference. Let's face it.

• Paid Members

I don't think they'd have minded Reigns winning the year Batista did and his whole career trajectory could have been changed massively by that. The heat for Batista was likely because the word had gotten out well in advance that he was coming back for the Rumble win and Mania main event.

• Paid Members

I think it contributed but I thought the main issue was Reigns getting injured and being out for months. It really hurt his momentum but they just plopped him back in the same spot and expected the fans to just accept it.

Actually, no, I suppose the main issue is that WWE can't book babyfaces to be babyfaces. Reigns is class. He's good in the ring and he looks like the coolest fucker on the planet. It's unfortunate that he's been booked like a massive bellend.

They would've booed anyone winning the Rumble that year. Wouldn't have made much difference. Let's face it.

They'd have cheered Rusev.

Archived