WWF 1999

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I was going to reply in the Podcast thread having listened to SCG's first MNW timeline of 1999 but it became more of a general post on 1999 so I thought I'd start a new thread.

What do you think of the WWF product in 1999?

Just listening to the podcast on January and I'm already remembering how much I hate it. If I'm honest, I would have said the same about 1998 until a few months ago. Not "hate" so much but I really thought it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. However, listening to the timeline and being inspired to watch it back, it felt as great as it did at the time. It's often a letdown on PPV but week-to-week, it's got so much energy and everyone is so over that things feel so consequential.

That, I'm absolutely certain, is not going to happen with 1999. The roster is still thin, the Russorific writing is all over the place, Austin vs. McMahon drags on way too long, The Undertaker's ministry stuff is absolutely bollocks, The Big Show is a huge disappointment and the headline matches have been done to death. WrestleMania 15 is one of my least favourites. I've not watched it back for years. Even then it was only the main event.

I've racked my brain for things in the WWF 1999 that I have or I'd want to go back and watch and I'm struggling beyond:

* Mankind title win on Jan 4th

* Empty Arena match with The Rock

* WM 15 Main Event

* Chris Jericho debut

* Hardys vs. Edge & Christian (No Mercy?)

* Boss Man funeral gatecrasher

There are some fun Rock promos throughout the year but nothing that particularly stands out. Otherwise, I can't think of anything redeeming. KOTR was awful. SummerSlam was shit. The Rumble was terrible.

What's funny is recalling the WCW TV ratings from Jan 1999. They're fucking sensational. Because they had the unopposed third hour, although they are losing handily to Raw, they're doing 5.0 some weeks. Yet within weeks, their TV would be absolutely dogshit. Why on earth did they implode so spectacularly. If they'd stayed competitive, the WWF were burning themselves out creatively just like WCW had done previously. So who knows?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't re-watched hardly any of 1999 WWF for a long time, but my sound bite answer to 1999 in my head was that it was the shit year sandwiched by 2 fucking fantastic years. I loved 1998, because well, Steve Austin, and 2000 is probably my favourite year in WWF history, the TV product was electric. I think of 1999 and I think of fucking Rock/Bad Ass Billy Gunn matches, Big Show Paul White in his tank top and cycling shorts and the endless barrage of shite Hardcore Matches. Oh, and Kennel from Hell.

The Mankind title win was glorious, and the pop Austin got in that match still makes my hairs stand on end, as a 14/15 year old don't get me wrong I still fucking enjoyed the shit out of it but looking back it was a piss poor year in my opinion.

The other positive that springs to mind when I think of '99 is the tag team scene, in my head I seem to recall it gathering a load of steam through that year.

I'm a big critic of Shane McMahon wrestling these days, but I got a kick out of seeing his first few matches beginning with WrestleMania XV that year where he faced X-Pac.

At the time I think I rated his match with Test at SummerSlam 1999 as a Math of The Year contender, so that is probably worth another look too.

• Paid Members

I have mixed feelings on 1999. The main event scene is excellent, and I feel like you always get one, or maybe two excellent matches on the undercard, but there's so much dross. I feel it picks up later in the year, especially around the time of the launch of Smackdown, and then into 2000 with the ascent of Angle, the arrival of Voldemort and the other Radicalz , Jericho finding his feet, and just a general upswing in quality alongside more clear cut less Russo-heavy writing. I also think, as much as they are huge stars at this time, Austin and Undertaker disappearing for a bit, as well as Foley taking a couple of small breaks freshens up the roster no-end.   

It's a good year, with some iconic moments, but you only have to look at the undercards for the first 6-9 months of the year and there's some real rubbish there.

• Paid Members

I'm a big critic of Shane McMahon wrestling these days, but I got a kick out of seeing his first few matches beginning with WrestleMania XV that year where he faced X-Pac.

At the time I think I rated his match with Test at SummerSlam 1999 as a Math of The Year contender, so that is probably worth another look too.

I didn't mind the stuff with X-Pac either. Probably the best stuff on the under-card along with some of the hardcore matches. Always liked Pac back then. His tag team with Kane was enjoyable. I thin kthe DX reunion ruined him for me. never liked him as much after that shit.

The Test/Shane match was good ... for 1999. Can't imagine it holds up too well but it was a minor miracle at the time.

I loved 1998, because well, Steve Austin, and 2000 is probably my favourite year in WWF history, the TV product was electric.

100% this.

The last couple months of 99 where alright with the debut of Jericho, Trips becoming 'The Game' and the Test/Stephanie wedding which set up 2000 nicely.

• Paid Members

Similar to something like, say, Out Of Time by R.E.M., I can't look back at it all and give a fair opinion. Mostly because it's a body of work that gives me a lovely warm nostalgia feeling, bringing back all manner of happy memories. Granted, I have no doubt Out Of Time has aged better than 1999 WWF for most, but even stuff like The Undertaker's Ministry reminds me of playing Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 at my mates house, replacing the WCW/nWo Revenge as the "best game ever".

Of all the things I've watched back from that period, I think Triple H being a dorky racist with shit dick jokes is the only thing that I've really turned my nose up to. Although, all it really did was confirm what we all thought during that period, which is Triple H was always the uncool one in DX.

• Paid Members

In terms of in-ring ability and match quality Jericho, Angle and the Radicalz couldn't have joined soon enough in late 99/early 2000, could they? As a viewer at the time, the non-wrestling stuff was highly entertaining for me. Lots of interesting twists and turns, some decent stables, The Rock taking things to another level and Foley perhaps at his best character-wise for me. As a fan it was probably the most exciting year when watching (I stopped watching wrestling during 97/98). But inside the ring, overall 1999 was a right bunch of old shite. A lot of ECW-lite hardcore matches (some ok, most were crap) and an uninspiring mid-card. The matches were low quality, putting together a list of the best 10 matches would be a nightmare. WrestleMania was pretty cack, SummerSlam was better, Rumble was hit & miss, Survivor Series wasn't up to much and I have virtually no recollection of King of the Ring.

I'd been away from watching WWF for a couple of years to just watch WCW and I got back in to it in late 1999, around the build up for Armageddon so I'm quite fond of that period. As has been said before, the previous 9 months or so was dogshit watching back later on.

In terms of in-ring ability and match quality Jericho, Angle and the Radicalz couldn't have joined soon enough in late 99/early 2000, could they? 

Angle was doing his undefeated gimmick which Taz ended at Rumble 2000. The Radicalz debuted Jan/Feb 2000, just after the Rumble I think. Jericho feuded with Chyna after his debut which I remember being pretty horrendous.

The undercard match quality was about what you would expect being made up of matches with Bob Holly, Steve Blackman, Test, Al Snow, Viscera, The New Age Outlaws, Kane and The Big Show.

WrestleMania was pretty cack

One thing that proper messed my head up was Austin coming out in a T-Shirt for his match with The Rock, I can recall thinking at the time "what the fucks happening". Think he was going through some shite at home and weren't switched on and forgot his vests and that apparently but it was so weird to me as it was going on live.

That Mania was pretty awful, but Ryan Shamrock :wub:

• Paid Members

In terms of in-ring ability and match quality Jericho, Angle and the Radicalz couldn't have joined soon enough in late 99/early 2000, could they? 

Angle was doing his undefeated gimmick which Taz ended at Rumble 2000. The Radicalz debuted Jan/Feb 2000, just after the Rumble I think. Jericho feuded with Chyna after his debut which I remember being pretty horrendous.

That's what I'm saying. After Angle settled in, Jericho started to work with the right opponents and the Radicalz debuted, the match quality improved tremendously. On that front, 1999 and 2000 were worlds apart.

That's what I'm saying. After Angle settled in, Jericho started to work with the right opponents and the Radicalz debuted, the match quality improved tremendously. On that front, 1999 and 2000 were worlds apart.

Ah, I completely misinterpreted your post, thought it was a question, doh!

I doubt that Chyna/Jericho feud has aged well even in spite of the terrible matches. Jericho promising to have a sex change if he couldn't beat Chyna then reneging on the deal and breaking her thumb with a hammer before turning face the week after. He must have been so stoked when Eddie Guerrero, Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko turned up on Raw. Imagine running that now!!

Archived