The 'Today I Learned...' MMA Thread

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

continuing the Wrestler's who've fought in MMA theme, i just found out watching NXT Takeover that Author of Pain member Rezar is a former heavyweight MMA fighter, 4-2 as a pro but holds a win over Oli Thompson in BAMMA when he was just 19. He looks like a fucking monster here...

Edited by Egg Shen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

didn't know where to post this, but the initial bare knuckle talk was in here so i thought i'd chuck it in here...

Melvin Guillard's bare knuckle fight in the UK went ahead a couple of weeks ago. He won but got involved in some nasty altercations witha fighter named Jimmy Sweeney around the event, one at a harvester resteraunt where Guillard was seen holding a knife behind his back as it all threatened to kick off, just a nasty situation all around.

Shonie Carter fought on the same show and lost a decision.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/608447/UFC-Melvin-Guillard-bare-knuckle-fight-brawl-Coventry-video

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

here's something i just found out, not MMA related per se, but the association with amateur wrestling is there so...

Tab Thacker who played House in the Police Academy movies was a former NCAA Divsion 1 Heavyweight Champion:

ncst-13-m-wrestl-history-TabThacker.jpg

I heard it on the Keepin It 100 podcast, apparently Thacker is the reason a weight limit was brough into Heavyweight NCAA Wrestling. The guy was a monster.

thacker.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

more useless random infomation...

Learnt this from this week's Keepin It 100 podcast, but AKA owner Dan Lambert is a huge pro wrestling fan. No fucker watches Impact but Lambert's appeared on there recently in an angle with Lashley but going from the podcast he's a genuine old school wrestling fan, he collects belts too:

Dan_Lambert_wrestling_belts.0.jpg

It probably explains why Lambert enjoyed being on camera so much during the Blackzilians/AKA TUF season, people compared the antics to pro wrestling and to a degree it probably was Lambert hamming it up and living out his pro wrestling fantasy. Good on him.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, yeah, that's right Lambert is ATT.

AKA's always been a weird camp for me. Pretty much the only guys in that camp who I really like are DC and Cain. Nearly everyone else who is or has been associated with AKA I can't stand. From Rockhold to Koscheck to Fitch to Javier Mendez himself. 

Tell a lie, BJ Penn and Frank Shamrock came through there in the early days too. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Show about MMA weight cuts on BBC IPlayer featuring a guy in the UFC and a guy fighting on a Bellator undercard. They speak about there being more deaths from weight cutting than actual deaths in the cage and they don't really bang on about the sport being barbaric but just the weight cuts being too much and needing more weight classes.

They didn't mention hydration tests and the fact if they did that basically everybody would be a weight class higher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Today i learned two things from Derrick Lewis' pro MMA debut, first off Derrick Lewis was a lot leaner 7 years ago.

secondly, you may recognise the opponent. It was a guy fighting in his one and only MMA fight...

it's this guy!

mitch.jpg

Mitch from the Spirit Squad!

• 10 months later...