The 'Today I Learned...' MMA Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Didn't know how to label this thread, but it's basically a bit of a quick-fire thread to post any little tidbit of MMA news/info you may have just found out. A bit of a useless infomation thread and a place to post minor news that doesn't deserve it's own thread (like in the main forum). I'll kick it off...

* A couple of MMA notables competed over here in bare-knuckle fights a couple of weeks ago. Joe Riggs, Cody McKenzie & Josh Burns all fought for the BKB promotion in London. Riggs won, both McKenzie & Burns lost. It's the same promotion that Melvin Guillard was apparently going to fight for but it looks like that fell through.

There's the Riggs fight, the others are on the BKB channel.

[joe-riggs-bkb-champ.png

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Riggs has had quite a career, hasn't he? He's fought in pretty much every top MMA promotion in America including two stints in the UFC plus runs in Strikeforce, WEC and Bellator. Fought in a bunch of weight classes from heavyweight down to welterweight - Rogan used to love mentioning that Riggs was close to 300lbs at one point. Which is nuts. He had the hospital fight with Nick Diaz during his first UFC stint and managed to shoot himself during his second UFC stint. Now this bare knuckle thing, which will hopefully lead to a superfight against Big Joe Joyce.

All that and he's somehow still only 34!

He had a title fight stripped from him, it was supposed to be Hughes-Parysian but Karo pulled out with an injury for UFC 56,(Hughes would have fought Evan Tanner had they been coaches on TUF 2. Riggs stepped in and most of the Miletich team stopped working with him and thus he wasnt in great shape and missed weight and Hughes steamrolled him anyway.

Riggs was a main card regular when I first got into MMA in early 2005. The thing that always stood out about him at that time was that he was only 21/22, yet he had over 20 fights under his belt. Including a campaign at Heavyweight as a teenager - which must have been the period where he was 300lbs.

• Paid Members

While we're talking Joe Riggs, you have to watch his fight against Alex Stiebling from WEC 9 if you haven't seen it before.

I reviewed WEC 9 years ago in the Past Fights thread. Here's what I said about Riggs vs Stiebling at the time...

Riggs vs Stiebling

I never even knew about this fight but I'm fucking glad I've seen it. Round 1 is pretty much all Riggs. They both go flying out the cage door one one takedown attempt. Riggs gets a takedown and absolutely batters Stiebling with some of the most vicious ground and pound I've ever seen. The fight is very close to being stopped at the end of round 1 and Stiebling looks wobbly going back to his corner.

Round 2, Riggs again is dominating. He gets a big slam Matt Hughes style and goes back to work blasting the shit out of Stiebling's bloody, bashed up face. Some scary punishment being dished out, I knew Riggs had heavy hands and I've seen him drop some nasty shots from the guard but this was brutal to watch. You could hear literally every fucking punch and elbow thudding off Stiebling's head and making his head bounce off the canvas. I wouldn't have blamed the ref for stopping it, it looked like a massacre. Then out of nowhere Stiebling threw up a triangle and Riggs tapped. I couldn't believe it.

One of the most shocking comebacks in MMA history easy for me. If you looked at them after the fight was over you'd swear Riggs won. Stiebling was still lying in a bloody heap and looked dead. Riggs was standing up with no damage apart from a fucking sore elbow.

Amazing. I wanted to post a link for the fight but couldn't find a video of it. If you can find it, get it and give it a watch.

Managed to find the full fight on YouTube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=7bEK1l3KW4E

• Paid Members

Wow, MMA has come a long way, hasn't it! The cage door busting open, the commentators seemingly knowing very little about ground fighting, the sponsor logos on the matt with messed up aspect ratios, the lack of a stoppage at the end of the first round, no on-screen graphics for round time or number ... :p

Edited by Chunk

• Paid Members

I must admit, that is an amazing comeback, but surely not all that surprising to someone like yourself, knowing what you know about MMA, wand? Stiebling was threatening that sub all throughout the match. The longer the ref went without stopping it, it seemed like Stiebling was getting ever closer to it. I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but we did get glimpses of the future right in the first round.

• Paid Members

Just watched that Joe Riggs bare knuckle video that Ebb posted. Hilarious. He gets a point taken away for landing a take down on the guy! Then he throws an elbow and then a superman punch. Haha!  :D

Got to admit I don't quite understand the whole bare knuckle thing. Seems dumb to me - fighters a bit gun shy because they don't want to destroy their hands. Not to mention that their knuckles aren't actually even bare. Why not just have a boxing match with MMA gloves?

• Paid Members

UCMMA were doing boxing with mma gloves, think they called it UK-1. It never took off because UCMMA doesn't have much of an audience but it's an idea i think could work.

Bare-knuckle fighting is having a bit of a resurgence, im intrigued by it but it's not terribly exciting.

Remember BKB Boxing in the states a few years ago? They boxed in a bowl like thing with gloves that had a piece missing that exposed the knuckles. A few good pro's fought in it but like most combat related new ideas it didn't take off.

• Paid Members

It has to be more than that, i can't imagine him flying to the UK to fight for that kind of money. That said, Cody McKenzie fought on the same show and i imagine he'd fight for as little as a hot meal.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Today i learned...

* Jeremy Piven's character in Entourage, Ari Gold is based on Ari Emanuel...the same guy who now owns the UFC. Always knew Gold was based on a real Hollywood agent but it never clicked when i heard Emanuel's name.

mnlri.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• 3 weeks later...