What is the most tired you have ever been?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I recall years ago, I stupidly tired to juggle a Christmas job working nightshift doing data entry and a regular job doing retail. I'd only work 3 nightshifts, but even so trying to balance that out was utter fucking hell. I remember one afternoon on my dinner, I hasnt had any sleep the night before and was only getting an odd couple of hours in for a few nights prior. I recall my skin felt like there was something under it. I was uncomfortable wearing clothes I was so knackered and sensitive. It was a nightmare. I remember walking to the shop for my dinner and my eyes were closing as I was walking.

God horrible. Anyone have it worse?

I'm really bad for sleeping, as in i need a lot of it. The tinyest lack of sleep and I'm groggy as hell.

As a teen, I'd spent a flight coming over from Ghana to Manchester, which including travel time/being awake prior to the flight itself, was the best part of 45+ hours. I was going nuts by the time I got home. Things moving about, (like walls), and all sorts. i slept for what felt like an Age afterwards.

Few years later I'd spent 24+ hours awake, following working from 7am-5pm, going straight out on the lash until 2am, then staying awake with my girlfriend until early doors, and then going back to work. By the time I made it home, I went for a dump and fell asleep  on the toilet. Work Pants down, bowels evacuated just leaning back again the tank.

I really don't like missing sleep, my body can't handle it.

Worst for me was back when I was running a fancy dress shop. It was dead most of the time but Halloween and Christmas were hell on Earth. One year Halloween fell on a Saturday so we knew we'd be busy so opened early and stayed open later than normal. There was a queue of people going out of the shop, round the corner and down the road from practically the point we opened to when we shut. The folk that managed to get in ended up walking single file round the shop, grabbing whatever they could in the hopes that something remotely matching it was available further round. I was on my feet all day, restocking, working the til, trying to put bags of bits to make a costumes together and flogging them in the queue- anything to get everybody served. By the end of the day we'd taken 30x the amount of money we normally would and I was totally exhausted.

When I got home and eventually got to sleep after a while I sat bolt up right in bed. I can still remember now but I'd started hallucinating and could clearly see people walking round our bed wanting to buy fancy dress costumes. The Mrs says to me "What are you doing?" which in my still-asleep exhausted state I replied with "I just have to serve these customers". I was convinced I'd let folk in the house acting as a second shop. I then apparently slumped down and went back to sleep. Fucking weird it was.

• Paid Members

Was really going through some tough times at home and work a few years ago, and had the combination of insomnia, and also lying down for sleep way later than I should have been doing. Because of that, I was averaging about three hours sleep a night, and was having dreadful side-effects of that — work sucked, nothing was fun, I was randomly vomiting most days, and my piss smelled of coffee.

Finally came to a head on a day where I mixed a bootleg Five Hour Energy (which came in some sort of weird ampoule) with a Monster Energy, and then followed with a few pints of coffee. Everything was tinged in a halo of glowing energy, and eventually I crashed at my desk. Woke up with my boss standing over me looking very concerned, and then she sent me home for the rest of the day. Has never been quite that bad since, although I don’t generally get the right amount of sleep.

When I was 21, I was working at a school during the day, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, as well as doing night security work, guarding a car dealership, 6pm to 8am, from Monday to Thursday. I used to shower and change at the school when there was no-one around and go straight from one job to the other. That caught up with me after a couple of months. The night job did have the perk of a couple across the road from the dealership leaving the curtains open whilst they went at it, which made it slightly less dull. Especially when she kicked him out and got another woman in.

When I was 23, me and a friend of mine travelled down from Scotland to Braintree in Essex to wrestle. We travelled overnight, got there, set the ring up, did the show, packed the ring away, drove back through the night again, then went to training in Glasgow. After he dropped me off in East Kilbride, he then had to drive back up to Aberdeen. By the time either of us got any sleep, we worked out that I'd been up for 55 hours and he'd been up for 58. No chance I could do that now.

• Paid Members

Couldn't get to sleep for five days because of a strange liver & gallbladder attacking virus. It was complete hell and I don't think I've recovered from it. I started seeing and hearing things that weren't there. It was like being in a nightclub constantly, random tunes playing over the TV. Odd. Nothing more depressing than seeing the sun coming up and you're wide awake, having not slept.

The most physically exhausted I've been was almost exactly 11 years back when I was trying to juggle a second crack at A-levels with a full-time job alongside dealing with various family and health matters.

The most tired I've been in terms of lack of sleep was probably two years ago when I was trying (in vain) to get a Masters degree.

When my son was born his mum was taken in to the hospital on the Sunday morning and we hadn't slept much on the Saturday night. They sent me home at about 10pm Sunday night for a kip but phoned me to go back up at midnight so I hadn't even been to bed. We were up all night for the labour then I headed home at lunchtime Monday to pick up some stuff and change my clothes (note to would be dads - take a bag for yourself as well as mum and child).

Stayed at the hospital until 10pm Monday night then went home and finally fell asleep about 3am once the adrenaline settled down. Was back up at the hospital all of that day until 10pm and then went home and slept for 12 hours. When I worked it out I think I'd had about 6 hours sleep in 72 hours before that. It sounds like you'd feel shattered after the first 24 but the combo of excitement, fear and adrenaline is a powerful one

I stupidly did an all nighter and was awake for 24 hours, then got dragged to the cinema and didn't get home til like 9pm that night so must have been awake for 36 hours but back in my youth that didn't seem anywhere near as tiring should I were to try it now.

Coming back from WrestleMania this year I was shattered, between Axxess sessions at 8am, shows finishing late, drinking, late nights and early mornings the weekend catches up with you once its all done, throw in a flight connection, airports, planes and travelling home from Heathrow I was so grouchy and miserable by the time I got home, the worst thing as well is that I cannot sleep on planes so that was a night flight and because all the lights were off down the aisles I struggle to watch the TV when its that dark so ended up very restless. It took two hours to get from the plane, through passport control to my car plus another hour and a half to get home. Was shattered and hated life. 

• Paid Members

When I started my current job and was still living 20 miles away with no car and a crap public transport system, I was in a permanent state of exhaustion. Friday night I'd get home about 10:30pm only for my alarm to get me up at 5:30am to get me back into work on Saturday morning.

I think the tiredest I've ever been in one incident was when I went to Blackpool for a day. I set off about 6:30am to maximise the day (it's about a three hour drive), and because I got a bit carried away, didn't set off home until close to 11pm.
On the way home I started hallucinating whilst driving and was swerving from lane to lane to avoid trees and these big concrete walls with cat heads painted on them.

I've slept so consistently terribly for so long there's no real good story.

I do all nighters every now and then, and apart from being hungry as a bastard and the obvious heaviness behind the eyes, I can function okay-ish. The logic in college was that if I've got to be up for the bus at half 7, my insomnias gonna make it either so that it's near impossible to tear myself away from a 4th hour of blissful slumber, so might as well just stay alert. God bless the Internet eh?

I'd tried this in school to little effect, got bollocked for falling asleep during physics but I'd trained my body for it by college. Now I can just do that on a whim. Can't go further than 36-48 hours but anything up to that is a doddle.

You might want to post something in response, a warning about what that shit can do to your mental health. Well I know rather well actually. On one such day, didn't have anything to do but for some reason gave sleep a miss anyway, as well as food, cos I'm just That Fucking Clever

I was freaking out cos my gf at the time had been out a while and I couldn't reach her on the phone. Now I'm not a control freak but not long prior to this she was victim of a daylight sexual assault/attempted rape and I couldn't handle where my paranoid mind was taking me. So I put my fucking head through a pane of glass on one of the doors of my house.

Start pissing blood like Eddie at Judgment Day 04 but worse! Plug the wound with nearby bog roll until it was completely soaked. Went to A&E in fluffy pyjamas!, got some VERY odd looks, got 12 or so stitches. Cab home. They dropped me off at the top of my road as I said "yeah that'll do" but I really wish I hadnt

Sleep deprivation + no food + lost shitloads of blood = pain in the fucking arse walk up the road, honestly known nothing like it, it was just hell. My gf said I basically just collapsed into bed. So that's the most exhausted I've ever been, no doubt. No seeing or hearing anything, just utter fucking weakness.

My gf was fine and got back not long after I was in the ambulance , she just wanted to know what all the fucking blood was about.

Part of me thinks the whole ordeal was worth it for this spooky pic where I channeled Undertaker (don't click if on the squeamish side)

http://68.media.tumblr.com/7169d09463711cd6cffb5808a785f93a/tumblr_o0vhibjvvX1um3fqao1_1280.jpg

I rub oil on my head most days now and the scars cleared up a fair bit, healed as nicely as you could expect anyway, never gonna bloody forget though am I

• Paid Members

Longest I've gone without sleep was about 35 hours or so. Woke at 6pm, went to work, got home at 8am then flew to Dublin that afternoon. Went on a bender with all my old pals and crashed at about 4am the following morning. Absolutely awful, I was wrecked. Been working nights full time now for 6 years, so I've gotten a pretty good handle on adjusting my sleeping pattern, but the first night back in work is a right bastard. Every single week I'm awake 24+ hours by the time I get home on a Tuesday morning.

Archived