What's the most drastic thing you've done in your career ?

RancidPunx

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'll admit it includes a lot of old peoples homes in the week and some gigs that arnt the best but im my own boss so all good

Nothing wrong with that mate. Good for you.

A mate of mine has recently started singing in old people's homes, and he's loving it because they actually enjoy it, instead of sitting with their backs to him on their phones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm currently sitting at my desk writing my notice to leave this place at the end of the month and for the first time in my life, I don't have another job to go to. I'm terrified but also very excited. I knew about all this when the thread started but didn't want to reply until it was actually a reality as I wasn't certain everything would pan out the way I wanted but fuck me, it really has!

We've just consolidated a lot of debt and we have an incredible low mortgage and our monthly outgoings are minimal. My wife works from home and also has a home business which the plan is for me to help her keep up with orders and do deliveries as she doesn't drive which will save her a fortune and allow her to take on more jobs which is perfect. It also allows me to dedicate more time to gigging which has made more money in the last year than the 15 previous years and plenty booked in for the rest of the year.

I'm not in anything resembling a career, bouncing from retail to on entry level office job to another basically since leaving school just basically looking for whatever pays the most and has the best hours, so if it all goes tits up, I can drop into an agency and find something else at short notice. Maybe having more free time will help me figure out what I actually want to do for a living.

Another bonus is that I won't be sitting down all day drinking sugary tea and downing packaged sarnies and biscuits all day and can actually focus on eating right and a proper gym schedule so might finally get my act together there.

I've never been in a position of full time self employment in my life so it is a big step and quite intimidating but the thought of not having to get up on a Monday morning and sit at this desk defending someone else's fuck ups and lies is a massive weight off my shoulders and that alone is the biggest motivation to make this work.

Good luck AAD. :)

I once threatened one of my line managers that I was going to throw them through an 8th floor plate glass (single glazed) window to the street below ... he didn't even dare try to discipline me, 'cos he knew I would have kick the shit out of him.

The conversation went something like this:

LM:  You do realise I could speak to HR about this (some minor backchat) Mike?

Me:  Go ahead; I couldn't care less, but don't you speak to me like I'm some thick cunt in front of everyone in the office to make yourself look like the big boss.

LM:  So what do you think ... 

Me (cutting him off):  Fuck all.  I suggest you look around & pick a fucking window, 'cos any more chops from you & I'm gonna throw you through one of these fuckers!

LM:  You can't speak to me like that!

Me (right up in his face):  I think you'll find I already did.  So fuck off.

I picked up my bike jacket, skid lid & stomped out 2 hours early to calm down.  I miss that motorbike so much ... and it was a sunny Friday in south Wales, so a ride was well called for.

I went back in on the Monday & nothing was mentioned about it.  One of my colleagues had apparently told the line manager that I meant what I'd said about throwing him through the window, & I got a written private apology for his conduct.  I didn't reciprocate.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell Mike, you double hard bastard. Did you carry a roll of carpet under each arm as you strolled out of the building after?

How long did you last in that job after that threatening incident?

Fucking hell Mike, you double hard bastard. Did you carry a roll of carpet under each arm as you strolled out of the building after?

How long did you last in that job after that threatening incident?

Not double hard, 'cos I could only carry one roll of carpet that day 'cos I was on the bike. ;)

I took early retirement from that job about 18 months after that incident.

I briefly had a job as an apprentice accountant. After 3 months  decided I absolutely hated it so decided I wanted to leave and applied for a University Course whilst at work. I got accepted a couple of weeks later. 

Rather than immediately quit I shaved my mohawk back into my hair and dyed it green. I showed up a the office to stares but weirdly no one asked me to shave it for 3 more weeks.

My boss eventually asked me to shave it so I just handed him the notice letter I'd had in my desk for a couple of weeks. They didn't ask me to come in for the last week of my notice period. 

Best Decision I've ever made. Landed me in a career path I love and set off the catalyst of events that got me into doing stand up.

• Paid Members

I had my little career change forced on me due to disability.

I was an I.T. tech and had a nice secure job and although it wasn't what i really wanted to do, I had a Mrs and kids to support.

When I developed a disability that reduced my mobility down to virtually nothing, I asked the company for support and requested that I were moved to a desk job. Turns out the company were wankers, who whilst appearing on the surface to be helping me adapt to what was a life changing situation, were actually plotting to get rid of me as I were now too much hassle for them. 

They went as far as logging into my system and removed random call backs I had set so they could discipline me to get me to quit. They also "lost the key for the lift in the building to make it more difficult for me to get in. Eventually things came to a head I was asked to leave. Luckily, I had a colleague who I really got on with and wanted to leave anyway, so he gave evidence at my tribunal and I got a big payout for constructive dismissal and discrimination.

Despite the lump sum I had received, I still needed a new career. I decided that as I've always loved the horror genre, I'd start to write about it and review the films. Started as just something to keep me occupied and while away the many spare hours I now had and try and fend off depression. I ended up going freelance as a copywriter, and met some top lads who ran a horror site that I now help run.

It was through helping run this site that I met a lot of genre film makers and distribution companies. It took time, but after collaborating with them on numerous projects, I was offered a job with one of the distributers and have worked with them ever since.

I have to say, its now my dream job. I get to meet and work with some big names in the genre, as well as contribute to keeping an industry I'm passionate about ticking over. 

Archived