Useful real life information you learned from watching wrestling?

dopper

• Paid Members

Being a fan of Tatanka, I can still name more Native American tribes than most. This has absolutely no use in life whatsoever.

Add me to the list who knows states & provinces, Roman numerals and random body parts.

Like The Bread Basket?

Being a fan of Tatanka, I can still name more Native American tribes than most. This has absolutely no use in life whatsoever.

Add me to the list who knows states & provinces, Roman numerals and random body parts.

Like The Bread Basket?

No, they're not a Native American tribe...

Like The Bread Basket?
No, they're not a Native American tribe...

Pop!

• Paid Members

When I first started watching American wrestling, I didn't know that Thanksgiving was a whole separate festival for the US - I thought it was just their own term for Christmas. Then the commentators were talking about Thanksgiving on their programming in November, and made separate reference to Christmas later on in December.

The various appearances of American celebrities on the programming over the years has probably given me a lot more information on American celebrity culture than I'd normally have, given that a lot of them didn't appear a lot on UK TV. People like Ryan Seacrest, Maria Menounos, Pete Rose, Drew Carey, Bob Barker (although, in fairness, I found out about him through Happy Gilmore), Mark Cuban and Jeremy Piven (who, obviously, has since been Mr. Selfridge).

I also learned a little about NASCAR being a major thing in the South, as at the time I thought Indiana 500 was the motor-sport of choice.

Also, not being an American football fan, I think I've probably learned more about NFL players and teams from the WWF/E than the actual sport or news reports about it. Same with basketball to more limited degree. I knew who Shaq was, obviously, but I didn't know anything about Dennis Rodman or Karl Malone.

• Paid Members

Got into a lot of bands thanks to wrestling. ECW mainly, but also the music videos people used to do. 

There was a good on around 1999, it was clips of CZW set to We Die Young by Alice In Chains. 

Ah, the days before everyone started sodding using Bodies by Drowning Pool. 

The words to the Star Spangled Banner from watching WM8.

That Family Feud is the same as Family Fortunes and hence knowing who Ray Combes was.

Other american TV personalites such as Rhonda Shear.

Not sure either of these are useful.

Archived