Sign in to follow this  
Nick Soapdish

Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Is there a tour operator / holiday company that does Disneyland in Anaheim? I've been having a look around, and I think Virgin might but there's very little info on their website. Everything seems pushed onto Orlando or Paris.

It's similar to Anaheim in terms of content, but is bigger, similar in size to Magic Kingdom part of Orlando. Friend of mine went last year and his main comment was that queues were really bad so there's that to contend with.

26 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I’ve decided I’m not going to the Orlando parks in March. Not the Disney ones, at least. I might do a day at Universal to see the festival. I’m gonna go to Orlando around Halloween next year (for Horror Nights and the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster), so I’m spending the cash on other stuff this time rather than theme park tickets.

My question now though is, what’s the craic with Tokyo Disney? I’m planning on going in 2021 or 2022 for the Nintendo world, but how big/different is the park overall compared to the Orlando and Anaheim setups?

Good man! I just booked another weekend, opening weekend, of HHN 30 in september myself. One last hurrah.

As to Tokyo, more Anaheim then Orlando in terms of size. I haven't been but have some friends who have been a few times and they love it, though I think Shanghai is their favourite asia park. Tokyo Disneysea is definely somewhere I would love to go, even more so then the main park. 

That Nintendo World looks amazing. Sucks to only have 2 attractions, but that seems to be the theme now for all of these new worlds/lands they create. I assume the Orlando version will open now in Epic Universe rather then the main park which means its a while away yet. Still, if you go to Japan, their Universal still has Jaws so that's another bonus.

17 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Is there a tour operator / holiday company that does Disneyland in Anaheim? I've been having a look around, and I think Virgin might but there's very little info on their website. Everything seems pushed onto Orlando or Paris.

Not especially. They are not really catered for in Europe as the big push/demand is WDW. We were going  to go a few years ago and I think we had quotes with Tui, but they will build a DIY package as they don't have packages as such. Also, there are plenty of hotels literally next door to the park. Some of my friends just booked it with expedia and bought park tickets when they got there.  

Thanks guys. I’d also not realised the distance between Tokyo and Osaka, so quite a trek to do Disney and Universal! The Disney tickets seem to be a lot cheaper than the US ones.

Edited by King Pitcos

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Is there a tour operator / holiday company that does Disneyland in Anaheim?

The Walt Disney Travel Company UK don't do Disneyland!  Tickets max out at 5 days so they can't sell a fortnight in the sun packages.  Disneyland is far more restrictive (or relaxed) than WDW for booking in advance etc.  Even their restaurants only take bookings a few months out, not the 180 days madness you get with World, and they only have 3 official Disney hotels to fill up in Anaheim.  You can get an official package via the Disneyland site.

You can also purchase tickets as vouchers through Expedia (.co.uk) here.  Run it through a cashback site like Quidco and get ~10% back.  You print off a voucher that they scan at the turnstiles and give you tickets.  5 day park hoppers in £ worked out cheaper for us even before we took the cashback into consideration.

Some of the very closest non-Disney owned hotels wouldn't be my personal choice.  They're motels that can charge a bomb because they're literally across the road from the Disneyland gate.  If you're looking at hotels on Expedia, check where they are on the map view as some advertised "Disneyland" hotels are a fair distance from the gate!

https://disneylanddaily.com/ is good for DL info.

54 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

The Disney tickets seem to be a lot cheaper than the US ones.

Do they still have the weird usage restrictions?  Nominate the first park, second day has to be the other park?

I’m going to Disneyland Paris 3 weeks today. So excited. First time on Eurostar (always driven before) and first time in a Disney Hotel.

Also finalised the (EIGHT) hotels for the US road trip last night so will be staying in LA - Redondo Beach - for 7 nights and doing both Disney parks. Decided to skip Universal though as we’ve done it before. Any tips on FastPasses for Disney? I know they work differently to Orlando and don’t want to miss out on stuff because we’re not rope drop people.

Nailed virgin flights stupidly cheap for October. 

Crunched the numbers on upgrading the ddp and it just does not work. Will use amazon prime now to get a pack of water and snacks for room. Then use the free breakfast for dinner.   Really looking forward to seeing the new Epcot fireworks 

41 minutes ago, Monkee said:

Any tips on FastPasses for Disney? I know they work differently to Orlando and don’t want to miss out on stuff because we’re not rope drop people.

There's two options, both same day.  You have legacy FastPass where you have to visit the kiosk at the ride, or at least in the land, to collect a FastPass.  This is free.

Then you have MaxPass which will cost you (currently) $15 a day per person and requires that you have the Disneyland app and a data service on your phone as Disneyland WiFi ain't great.

You can't purchase MaxPass until you've scanned your ticket for the day.  It lets you pick up a FastPass from the app for either park without physically visiting the attraction but their are hard limits.  You can only pick one at a time.  You can't pick another until you've used one or ~90 minutes has elapsed.  I would say it has questionable value of you don't ropedrop.  Ropedropping and MaxPass lets you smash it.

https://disneylanddaily.com/a-fastpass-guide-for-disneyland-and-california-adventure/

Screenshot_20200114_195951_com.android.chrome.jpg

Why is the Disneyland Wifi so crap? There's one spot by the Cars Land gas station pumps that I can count on to get a connection, but beyond that, completely unreliable. I almost didn't get into the park because of it one day, had to stand at the turnstiles with fingers crossed until the wind changed enough to load up my registration on the app.

I didn't have much better luck with WiFi in Orlando Disney, from what I remember. Is it just a limitation of the technology? I'd expect if it could be solved by throwing some money at it, Disney would have done that.

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

I didn't have much better luck with WiFi in Orlando Disney, from what I remember. Is it just a limitation of the technology? I'd expect if it could be solved by throwing some money at it, Disney would have done that.

How boring an explanation do you want?  High-density WiFi is expensive and hard to do.  Outdoor high-density WiFi is really expensive and really hard to do.  E.g. Having enough WiFi capacity to service 1,000 people in a theatre or conference centre where people are in a relatively fixed position is far easier to do than having enough WiFi capacity to service 1,000 people wherever they may be on a 20 acre site i.e. all 1,000 could be in a 25m square, or they could be evenly dispersed throughout the entire space.

The peak requirements of covering say The Hub vs middle of the day requirements probably don't make it cost effective if they're watching the pennies.  For 80% of the working day there'd be ~5% utilisation.  Providing just about adequate most of the time WiFi is much easier and far cheaper.  Also, if they really upped the quality of the WiFi knobbers would only cane all the bandwidth livestreaming in 4k constantly.

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

That wasn’t boring. That was quite interesting 

First draft had me listing associated client counts of access points Vs the number that could realistically achieve acceptable throughout, which was super boring even for me :)

It's worth checking with your mobile provider on whether they have a reasonably priced data roaming add-on, EE had a plan which included roaming in the US which was perfect for us last year - I barely bothered with WiFi the whole 2 weeks. They've since removed that add-on now so it'll cost me I think around £15 for the ability to use my data when we go in June, which is still worth it to save on the hassle.

22 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

It's worth checking with your mobile provider on whether they have a reasonably priced data roaming add-on, EE had a plan which included roaming in the US which was perfect for us last year - I barely bothered with WiFi the whole 2 weeks. They've since removed that add-on now so it'll cost me I think around £15 for the ability to use my data when we go in June, which is still worth it to save on the hassle.

It's the reason I stick with Three. My data allowence can be used in the US so I don't have to worry about buying any bolt-ons for the month.