Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

As we got a little off topic on the Eat Clean Thread talking about Disney Park food, upsetting Butch, I thought I would start a thread to talk about Disney Parks and other Theme Parks. Memories, questions, advice, whatever takes your fancy, post it here

Get the FastPass (or equivalent) package for the rides ... really worth it! :)  If you're planning on going off-site, be sure you know where you want to go & research the easiest route if you're taking a taxi; not saying you may get ripped off, but first-timers anywhere in the USA can be vulnerable to unscrupulous taxi drivers.  Better still, rent a good sized car & get yourself there; driving really is a piece of piss.

On the topic of theme park food, there's this snackfood that I've only ever found in two places: the (now closed) cinema in my old town, and a stall at Alton Towers. Both many, many years ago.

They were called "grits," but weren't the things that Americans eat for breakfast (based on my experience of watching Crocodile Dundee).

They were more like a puffier version of Quavers (only less curly, and unflavoured), and were cooked on-site, served in card/paper scoops from the kind of large glass case you'd normally see filled with popcorn.

Now, does anyone have the faintest idea what I'm talking about, and whether these things are better known by a different name? I can't understand why they appear to be so rare, as they're perfect for both occasions described.

• Paid Members

Just spent 2 weeks in Disneyworld (Orlando) with the wife & kids last November. Was good - very packed though. Stuck to the Disney parks only as the kids (4 and 6) are too young for Universal this time around. Stayed on site at Art of Animation resort - so had free transport to & from parks. Also used Uber when I didn't fancy waiting. Magic bands are awesome - didn't need to carry cash.

Going to Legoland in Gurnsburg (outside Munich) in April - love it there. Very small crowds, and no chavs like the Windsor one. Mostly German people as nobody outside of Germany even knows about it. Have been to Windsor twice and it was a bit shit. Windsor in general is shite for traffic and the park is a bit grotty.

Going back to Thomasland (aka Drayton Manor) in May. Very handy park - fly into Birmingham and its a 20min cab ride to Tamworth. The kids love it there.

Have been to Alton Towers loads - but before I had kids. Used to go with a mate off season (early October, mid-week) and take acid. Fucking amazing. Place would be empty. 

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

This is superb, given I'm going to Orlando for my first time ever in April.

We're staying at a Universal hotel, on site. We're there for 5 days then get on a cruise round the Caribbean and then come home via Kennedy.

Any tips/advice for making the most of our time at Universal would be very much appreciated - I have no idea really what to expect.

Perfect timing. First thing, I will plug my podcasts Dis After Dark and Universal After Dark. Infact, the latest episode of Universal After Dark they discuss top tips for first timers (https://theafterdarknetwork.com/universal-after-dark/ or iTunes etc)!

5 days is enough for both Universal Parks, but wouldn't venture to Disney World, you'll only scratch the service. If you are not driving, cabs are a bit expensive. The Idrive Trolley is a good shout if you want to visit things around there, otherwise a lot of people swear by Uber as a cheap alternative. One thing I wasn't prepared for, everything is huge and outside of the Universal theme parks, as you are on site, getting around will be hard as orlando is not really built for walking.  

Top Universal must do's. in ISF, Jurassic Park, Spiderman and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. In US, The Mummy, Transformers and The Simpsons. Get the harry potter train to go in-between parks, it's fun. If you want to do any of the water rides (like Popeye) take spare clothes, you will get soaked.

• Paid Members

Just spent 2 weeks in Disneyworld (Orlando) with the wife & kids last November. Was good - very packed though. Stuck to the Disney parks only as the kids (4 and 6) are too young for Universal this time around.

Going to Legoland in Gurnsburg (outside Munich) in April - love it there. Very small crowds, and no chavs like the Windsor one. Mostly German people. Have been to Windsor twice and it was a bit shit. Windsor is shite for traffic and the park is a bit grotty.

Going back to Thomasland (aka Drayton Manor) in May. Very handy park - fly into Birmingham and its a 20min cab ride to Tamworth. The kids love it there.

Have been to Alton Towers loads - but before I had kids. Used to go with a mate off season (early October, mid-week) and take acid. Fucking amazing. Place would be empty. 

Sounds awesome Herbie. I am with you in think USF is not great for kids, but there are a fair few good things for them to do. Never done LEGOLAND, and on that recommendation, no rush either. At least not in the UK

• Paid Members

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with Legoland unless you have kids. Obviously it'd make more sense for people in the UK to go to Windsor - but being from Ireland, we'd be flying either way - so we opt for Munich each year as it's a better park, less people overall (it's out in the sticks almost), and a nicer crowd. The on-site hotel is awesome.

Next time we go to Orlando (prob 2018) we'll do Universal.

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

On the topic of theme park food, there's this snackfood that I've only ever found in two places: the (now closed) cinema in my old town, and a stall at Alton Towers. Both many, many years ago.

They were called "grits," but weren't the things that Americans eat for breakfast (based on my experience of watching Crocodile Dundee).

They were more like a puffier version of Quavers (only less curly, and unflavoured), and were cooked on-site, served in card/paper scoops from the kind of large glass case you'd normally see filled with popcorn.

Now, does anyone have the faintest idea what I'm talking about, and whether these things are better known by a different name? I can't understand why they appear to be so rare, as they're perfect for both occasions described.

I used to get them at Telford Ice Rink and Wolverhampton's bowling alley.

I'm thinking of taking the wife and our three kids to Orlando next year. I've never been to America and it's always been my dream holiday. I've priced it up and we're looking at about £12k for 2 weeks, staying on site with car rental, park passes etc. Is it worth doing the food deal? The one I'd priced up is 2 buffet meals a day, a snack and drinks. It adds about a grand on but is it worth it?

Any other tip[s on how to reduce costs as I'm thinking they'll want loads of spending money too. Who are the best folks to book through?

• Paid Members

I'm thinking of taking the wife and our three kids to Orlando next year. I've never been to America and it's always been my dream holiday. I've priced it up and we're looking at about £12k for 2 weeks, staying on site with car rental, park passes etc. Is it worth doing the food deal? The one I'd priced up is 2 buffet meals a day, a snack and drinks. It adds about a grand on but is it worth it?

Any other tip[s on how to reduce costs as I'm thinking they'll want loads of spending money too. Who are the best folks to book through?

What age are the kids?

• Paid Members

Currently 4,8 and 12.

Sorry, can't help with your overall trip advice - you'll be doing all the parks, it seems. We just did Disney. Although I would recommend staying on site at the Disney Parks - the perks are great - namely the free transport and magic bands, and also extra Fast Passes, earlier access to fast pass & meal bookings. Everything is linked to your "My Disney Experience" account - meal reservations, park tickets, fast passes, accommodation, etc. So if there's an issue with anything at all, the hotel desk can sort it. We complained about a couple of small things in the park (namely we queued for a character meet that specifically advertised Mickey Mouse as a talking meet & greet - but he didn't talk - we wasted a fast pass on it though), and they gave us more fast passes for the next park we went to.

Next time we go back though, my wife wants to stay onsite again, and then just change hotels when we're going to Universal. Stay onsite for both places. We only rented a car 1 day over the 2 weeks; when we went shopping at Florida Mall for the day. Otherwise all transport was free and we used a few Ubers here & there too.

Edited by herbie747