Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

Found out today too that if you get hire car with Virgin that the Damage Collision Waiver (Collision Damage Waiver?) isn't included so it's an extra $19.99 per day. When I've booked it before direct with the hire company it's been included. So that's an extra £300 on top.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

First time I organised a trip there, I did the Virgin Package. Too a lot of the worries away, and had the back up of people over there if I needed it (which we didn't).

Keep an eye on the prices, now and again a packacge is cheaper than DIY?

Not sure if this is the best thread to put this in, but when I'm in Orlando for a couple of weeks for Mania and the parks, I'd like to buy a lot of stuff online that's free/cheap shipping within the US but extortionate shipping overseas. My hotel charges $10 per package received. Is there a cheaper option like renting a PO box or something for a couple of weeks?

Also, my mate said it's not worth me doing FastPass for the rides as I'll get on quicker with the single rider line anyway. Is that the case?

We've booked Orlando for April 2018 as a family, 2 adults and 1 kid. My missus has been 8 times but it's my first so I left all the planning to her. We've ended up with a Virgin package that was cheaper than going DIY. The only downside was it was over a 500 quid deposit. We had some money that her dad had given us so we used that and its meant the whole deal is working out a good 400 cheaper than mixing and matching.

• Paid Members

Also, my mate said it's not worth me doing FastPass for the rides as I'll get on quicker with the single rider line anyway. Is that the case?

He's cute. No, but while he's right to a degree sometimes it may not be the case. Plus Fast Pass is free so I would get fast passes for the rides that you really want to do and if you don't use them, no problem

• Paid Members

I'll get on quicker with the single rider line anyway. Is that the case?

At the Universal parks, definitely. There's barely any wait in the single riders line*. I don't know if the Disneys have one, Hollywood Studios is the only Disney park I've been to semi-recently and they didn't. They did have machines to put your tickets in and would give you a ticket with a time you could come back and get straight on a ride.

* I'd recommend doing this even for people who aren't single (unless you have kids with you). Me and my ex did most of the rides this way, multiple times and still ended up sat together loads anyway. And if not, a couple of minutes apart beats waiting in a queue for hours together in my book.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

As johnnybooy says, theres barely any single rider lines at Disney. Even at Universal, I can still think of a fair few rides that don't have them, but they are more common. Universal generally has shorter wait times than Disney, obviously depending on when you go, which does reduce the need for them anyway, but they are handy when its a ride you arent too bothered about riding or if theres a 60 minute wait as there often is for the newer rides.

• Paid Members

The Star Wars Dessert Party sounds amazing! I definitely want to do this. As we're staying nearby too it means we can get a cab and I can have a drink or two (I'm the only driver). We did CityWalk once but it was expensive in a taxi. I'm looking at the reservations calendar though and it doesn't go past April. Any idea if it's something they'll continue doing?

Edited by Monkee

Thanks for answering the previous question, guys! A new one: The tips seem to suggest going to the park for opening, then leaving mid-morning and going back in the evening, as in between they're ramming. Is that a decent rule of thumb to at least prepare for each day? And as a non-driver, what kind of things are recommended to go and do in between?

Thanks for answering the previous question, guys! A new one: The tips seem to suggest going to the park for opening, then leaving mid-morning and going back in the evening, as in between they're ramming. Is that a decent rule of thumb to at least prepare for each day? And as a non-driver, what kind of things are recommended to go and do in between?

It depends really. The middle of the day is always the busiest time and ride queues will be longest then but I wouldnt really advise leaving and coming back unless you are physically staying on site or very close by. Entering and exiting the park and leaving the actual resort and getting to wherever you want to be instead are pretty time consuming things. If you are staying in a Disney or Universal hotel then its probably a good idea to go and chill by the pool or get lunch for a few hours.

Better advise I think would just be to plan. If its a Disney park do a little research on what rides have the longest queues and use youre three free Fastpasses for those rides in advance. Scout out shows instead of rides to head to during the early afternoon rush or hold off lunch until then. If its Universal you are going to, then try and do Harry Potter, Kong, Simpsons or Tranformers as soon as you get to the park in the morning and the rest of the lines shouldnt be so bad. Or if you are really bothered about queuing, aye out for the Express Pass.

This is probably a stupid question, but is Universal Studios (Orlando) noticeably busier on a Sunday than a Monday?

I mean I'd always assume that to be the case at Alton Towers or Chessington, etc, but I'm wondering if the greater distances at play in the States might deter people from considering it a casual weekend activity.