Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

Went to Disneyland Florida in December, had a great time. Stayed in the New Orleans quarter, and rented a car. I would personally recommend that option if you are into going shopping too, as there are a lot of outlets in driving distance.

Also stayed in a hotel in Universal for one night, to get access to their fast passes (although I believe you can buy in the park too?), it's unlimited unlike the Disney ones, although not allowed for one of the Harry Potter rides. It kinda ruins the all day experience as we were done with the first park by about 1pm, chilled by the pool for the rest of the day and the next day was done with Island of Adventure about the same time. Hulk rollercoaster is immense.

Went to Disneyland Florida in December, had a great time. Stayed in the New Orleans quarter.

French Quarter is terrific. Small enough that preferred rooms don't matter and everything a short walk from amenities even if you're at the edge of the resort.

Yep, and when the buses from the park depart you'll get on the first one easily unlike the other resorts.

Loved Epcot, those grey goose slushies in the French part were great.

• Paid Members

I got a 16-night direct fly-drive to ORL with Virgin Holidays for £750. We've booked accommodation for 5 nights in Atlanta and 11 in Orlando for around £200 (all upmarket motel-style with breakfast included) and will be doing all the Disney & Universal parks so that's £500. Not bad at all.

I've done non-direct flights before (flying via Detroit, Atlanta, New York and Minneapolis on previous trips) and while it can be slightly cheaper it's a hell of a journey. I remember being very ill with flu in Detroit and sitting in the airport shivering under a blanket as our flight was delayed. And I remember being in Atlanta when there was a tornado nearby and they closed the airport. I've never seen lightning like that before either.

• Paid Members

Went to Disneyland Florida in December, had a great time. Stayed in the New Orleans quarter, and rented a car. I would personally recommend that option if you are into going shopping too, as there are a lot of outlets in driving distance.

Also stayed in a hotel in Universal for one night, to get access to their fast passes (although I believe you can buy in the park too?), it's unlimited unlike the Disney ones, although not allowed for one of the Harry Potter rides. It kinda ruins the all day experience as we were done with the first park by about 1pm, chilled by the pool for the rest of the day and the next day was done with Island of Adventure about the same time. Hulk rollercoaster is immense.

New Rule for Disney talk

Disneyland - California

(Walt) Disney World - Florida

Disneyland Paris - Paris region

Tokyo Disney - Tokyo

Hong Kong Disneyland

Shanghai Disneyland

Otherwise we just interviewed a guy who had come back from HK and Shanghai Disney. He said the new Iron Man, Tron and Pirates of The Caribbean (based solely on the movies) were amazing. Really would like to see them.

Tokyo Disneysea looks amazing as well. Would love to see that one

• Paid Members

Tokyo Disney is fun, being the only Westerner on the Tower of Tower (girlfriend too scared to go on) with a lot of screaming Japanese girls was a surreal experience.

I love the original Tower Of Terror. If I am right,  the japenese one is not based on Twilight Zone? The Disneyland version is being turned into a Guardians Of The Galaxy themed ride, looks awesome. As long as they keep WDW's one as it is I'll be happy. As much as I love Guardians, their Tower of Terror is far superior to the later ones

• Paid Members

ooo a disney thread!

Happy days im a massive Disney fan and been a few times. 

One thing i recommend if you can is the wishes dessert party at magic kingdom. A settled balcony view of the castle and fireworks with all the puddings and drinks you want. No husslle and bussle and a clear view  then sit on the balcony while the crowds clear then make your way out.

I have lots of advise on places to stay routes to take, shopping to buy staying inside/outside Disney. If any of you need help just ask

Also traveling to the Florida theme parks with kids with disability as there is alot of help available from the airport to the hotels to the parks 

Never done wishes desert party. My prefered way to see wishes is via California Grill at The Contemporary. They have a private viewing balcony where the music is synced to the speakers with the correct delay so the music and fireworks still match. Plus the food is stunning!

Tokyo Disney is fun, being the only Westerner on the Tower of Tower (girlfriend too scared to go on) with a lot of screaming Japanese girls was a surreal experience.

I love the original Tower Of Terror. If I am right,  the japenese one is not based on Twilight Zone? The Disneyland version is being turned into a Guardians Of The Galaxy themed ride, looks awesome. As long as they keep WDW's one as it is I'll be happy. As much as I love Guardians, their Tower of Terror is far superior to the later ones

That's right, though obviously it's pretty much the same thing just no introduction video. Biggest lines were for Toy Store Mania, they love it over there!

• Paid Members

On the topic of theme park food, there's this snackfood that I've only ever found in two places: the (now closed) cinema in my old town, and a stall at Alton Towers. Both many, many years ago.

They were called "grits," but weren't the things that Americans eat for breakfast (based on my experience of watching Crocodile Dundee).

They were more like a puffier version of Quavers (only less curly, and unflavoured), and were cooked on-site, served in card/paper scoops from the kind of large glass case you'd normally see filled with popcorn.

Now, does anyone have the faintest idea what I'm talking about, and whether these things are better known by a different name? I can't understand why they appear to be so rare, as they're perfect for both occasions described.

I know what you're on about. I have vague memories of buying something similar from Bonny Street Market in Blackpool about 25 years ago, but you'd have to stick them in the deep fat fryer at home. They also used to sell pretty sizeable bags of them round in the shop round the corner from where I lived about 4-5 years ago. It's called Food Basket on Hyde Road in Gorton if any Mancunians are reading.

• Paid Members

My prefered way to see wishes is via California Grill at The Contemporary. They have a private viewing balcony where the music is synced to the speakers with the correct delay so the music and fireworks still match.

In the theme park view rooms at The Contemporary they have the same feed on a dedicated TV channel so you can turn the lights down and sit on your own balcony to watch.

mind blown!

• Paid Members

My prefered way to see wishes is via California Grill at The Contemporary. They have a private viewing balcony where the music is synced to the speakers with the correct delay so the music and fireworks still match.

In the theme park view rooms at The Contemporary they have the same feed on a dedicated TV channel so you can turn the lights down and sit on your own balcony to watch.

mind blown!

Likewise planning to go back in 2020 when the starwars part is finished so may look into this as it sounds amazing

Universal are sadly lacking in perks to staying with them. No free meal plans no free shuttle from airport and only early access to the island of adventure Harry Potter. If they upped the game I would probably split the holiday between Disney and universal hotels

Edited by quote the raven

Alton Towers. Must've been about 7. The Gladiators were on park. I remember being on a ride (might've been Corkscrew), with Rhino and Saracen who were in front of me, both closed their eyes the whole way round and when someone said "Put your hands up Rhino" he let out a girly "Nooo!" Immense memory

I should get my wife to post here. She's a fright nights actor at Thorpe Park and has some EXCELLENT stories.

You should do. Does she perform in the various mazes?

Yeah, Blair Witch 2015 and then Cabin In The Woods last year. She comes home in full make up sometimes, fucking hilarious to think her driving home like that