Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Im glad Disney allow this. 

While i understand them trying to keep you on site i would have hired the car for a day and gone shopping. then your mind starts to wonder about going to Uni for the day. 

My last big issue is to try and book a hotel for one night with views of castle fireworks, my son likes them but is unable to deal with the nose of them. Alas every attempt to get him to wear ear defenders has failed. 

So i guess thats the poly? or contemp? for a night

Not sure about the Poly, but I know the Contemp has a channel that plays the music during the fireworks. The only thing I would say now, having seen video, is that the new show is very projection heavy so without seeing the castle you will lose a lot of the impact (it is similar to the Dreams show DLP did for the 20th anniversary if you have ever seen that). We watched wishes from the Cali grill before which is another option if the room option is too expensive as they have their own viewing platform and also pipe the music in

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

That's true, but I was surprised at how many fireworks they still use in the videos of Happily Ever After I've seen.  I'd assumed it was largely going to be cost-cutting (i.e. how the Hollywood Studios Star Wars projection and fireworks show uses a tiny amount of fireworks compared to its predecessor) but if anything it seems to use more fireworks than Wishes did and is a longer show.

When we were talking about it, the week before it closed, we assumed that Happily Ever After was a cost cutting move. Your right in that I think there are even more fireworks. I am sure I read somewhere that each show they spend about 5k on fireworks. PER SHOW!

In the old days that would get you an Ainsley Harriot for an hour (that was his fee per episode of Ready Steady Cook when he took over hosting) 

How little can I reasonably expect to pay for a return flight to LA (direct from London or Manchester) on specific dates next August? I went in May and the flights cost £300, bought on a total whim on Black Friday last year. But the trip next year is with friends who have a kid so we're going in the summer holidays. So far, best I'm seeing is £516 with no hold bag. 

Am I likely to find anything significantly cheaper, and if so, when best to buy? We are planning on waiting for Black Friday but I'm assuming those deals like the one I got last year won't be for August flights.

Edit: I should mention this is a trip largely based around going to Disney and Universal. So any ideas for deals on park tickets also welcome. Is there any chance the Guardians ride will update Groot to however he looks in the Infinity War film? Or that the queues will be a lot shorter than they were this year? I went on it about six times in June, lines were huge a couple of weeks after it opened, and only saw three or four of the ride profiles. Great fun though.

Edited by King Pitcos

• 1 month later...

Just seen that Universal are now doing a Marvel Character meal thing at IOA. 1, this is something Universal are miiiiiles behind Disney on so its good to see them putting some thought to little things like that. Also their Xmas HP stuff is a step to try to rival Disneys evening entertainment.

2, There had been loads of speculation that Universal and Disney had come to a deal with regards to the Marvel stuff, hence Disney going with Guardians at Epcot and adding other little bits and pieces in their parks. So its interesting that Universal are now increasing the Marvel presence in their parks. They must be coming to the point where they'd consider revamping that whole area too seeing as its nearly 20 years old now. 

We got back a few weeks ago now and our 2 year old took to it far more than we were expecting Anyone going with a toddler or any age child really MUST do a Disney character meal. They're a bit toppy if you arent on Dining Plan but so worth it. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 12/1/2017 at 9:10 PM, Van Dammer said:

Just seen that Universal are now doing a Marvel Character meal thing at IOA. 1, this is something Universal are miiiiiles behind Disney on so its good to see them putting some thought to little things like that. Also their Xmas HP stuff is a step to try to rival Disneys evening entertainment.

2, There had been loads of speculation that Universal and Disney had come to a deal with regards to the Marvel stuff, hence Disney going with Guardians at Epcot and adding other little bits and pieces in their parks. So its interesting that Universal are now increasing the Marvel presence in their parks. They must be coming to the point where they'd consider revamping that whole area too seeing as its nearly 20 years old now. 

My understanding is Universal are reluctant to give it back as they sell loads of Marvel Merchandise in that section of the park. The current deal is everything theme parks east of the Mississippi, and were in the original contract and featured in the island. For example, in the Marvel cafe they have images of people like Namor, which would rule him out of being used at another amusement park. Guardians is one of the franchises that had not featured in IOA, hence the attraction being built. if they have Meet and Greets with people like Iron Man and Captain America et al, then I could believe that rumour. But as things stand, nothing has changed between them it would seem.

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

Saw this morning that Disneyland Paris is getting rid of the Aerosmith Rock’n’Roller Coaster and putting in an Avengers one. They’re also going to do out Hotel New York and make it Marvel themed.

I’ve got really fond memories of the Aerosmith ride so will be sad to see it go, but I admit an Avengers ride makes me want to go back to Disney even more than I already do (the other half will never be convinced but I live in hope!). I remember Hotel New York being nice but it’s probably due a revamp. 

Does this mean Aerosmith are completely irrelevant now? I mean, more than they were?

I loved their recording studio scene before you went in, and the timing of the Coaster setting off to ‘Back In The Saddle’ was just amazing - I loved that. Great little shop at the end too. 

I don’t know what to think!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Saw this morning that Disneyland Paris is getting rid of the Aerosmith Rock’n’Roller Coaster and putting in an Avengers one. They’re also going to do out Hotel New York and make it Marvel themed.

I’ve got really fond memories of the Aerosmith ride so will be sad to see it go, but I admit an Avengers ride makes me want to go back to Disney even more than I already do (the other half will never be convinced but I live in hope!). I remember Hotel New York being nice but it’s probably due a revamp. 

Does this mean Aerosmith are completely irrelevant now? I mean, more than they were?

I loved their recording studio scene before you went in, and the timing of the Coaster setting off to ‘Back In The Saddle’ was just amazing - I loved that. Great little shop at the end too. 

I don’t know what to think!

The Paris version was always seen as a pale imitation of the WDW one (longer scene in the studio, you get in a supersonic Limo, theming of the ride is the LA Highway etc). I liked both but its a long time coming. Lets face it, back in 2001 Aerosmith were not even that big (fact fans, both the Rolling Stones and Kiss were approached first but money/popularity were the issues. Aerosmith had hit big with the song from the Disney Armageddon film). It was rumored to change to Hannah Montana about 8 years or so ago so lets be thankful of that.

The meet and greet with Spiderman is directly across from the ride exit, Armageddon is due to close in the next few years for a new attraction, so I can see that side of the studios become Marvel Studios (and when the ToT gets changed to Guardians, its been delayed but I reckon next 5 years) it will all make sense.

As to the other half, just book it. I know too many people who didn't want to go absolutely love it

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Not Armageddon too! 😭

it's terribly dated, no-one ever goes in and its closed a lot due to the lack of crowds. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when I believe. I would say that is the perfect reason to book a trip now, as it may not be around forever!

• Awards Moderator
5 minutes ago, Nick Soapdish said:

it's terribly dated, no-one ever goes in and its closed a lot due to the lack of crowds. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when I believe. I would say that is the perfect reason to book a trip now, as it may not be around forever!

Yes, but... but that bit where Michael Clarke Duncan talks to you at the start!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Yes, but... but that bit where Michael Clarke Duncan talks to you at the start!

hey they show a clip from Tron in that bit so I like the pre-show, more then the attraction actually. I was devistated when they closed Cinemagique down though (which is going to be the first Marvel attraction)

Cinemagique closed? I remember being pleasantly surprised by that. Love that RNR is being re-themed, its generally a great indoor coaster (only bettered by Mummy IMO) and the Aerosmith theme was always a bit naff for me.

I did prefer the idea of retheming it to a Monster Inc Door Factory ride though, but I dont think that would realistically work on such a fast paced ride. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Van Dammer said:

Cinemagique closed? I remember being pleasantly surprised by that. Love that RNR is being re-themed, its generally a great indoor coaster (only bettered by Mummy IMO) and the Aerosmith theme was always a bit naff for me.

I did prefer the idea of retheming it to a Monster Inc Door Factory ride though, but I dont think that would realistically work on such a fast paced ride. 

I believe that's the plan still in WDW

1 minute ago, Nick Soapdish said:

I believe that's the plan still in WDW

Its a cool idea, I just cant envisage it. Like, how is the ride vehicle going to be anything like it should be? And is it just going to the coaster with hanging fluorescent doors everywhere?

I think I like the idea, I just think it would be a VERY good idea if it has a ride system that really works for it, like the Potter rides.