Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Yeah we saw the F&F building in early August and it did look huge.

Oddly, despite finding the E.T ride really poor (it soon became the joke of our first trip when we went in April), I absolutely loved it this time round and totally fell in love with the magic of it.

I can't wait for Nintendo World to open at Orlando - the plans look incredible.

ET will not close while Steven Spielberg is alive. He was so angry when they close they one in Hollywood to do the Mummy, he forbid them from doing the same to Orlando. I personally, after the initial bit, hate it. It's just a shit small world.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Yeah we saw the F&F building in early August and it did look huge.

I still genuinely think this means Florence + Fred. What is F+F? This thread is thick with impenetrable acronyms. Type you lazy buggers!

1 hour ago, Nick Soapdish said:

ET will not close while Steven Spielberg is alive. He was so angry when they close they one in Hollywood to do the Mummy, he forbid them from doing the same to Orlando. I personally, after the initial bit, hate it. It's just a shit small world.

I'm not sure exactly why he is so keen on it staying because it is terrible, other than maybe his royalty cheques, but I am glad its still there. Part of me still wishes that Universal Studios became their Magic Kingdom park with originals staying intact and it being a bit of a retro park with slight updates and additions over the years. I suppose land-wise they dont have the luxuries that Disney have in being able to open and drastically expand newer parks to keep them modern whilst retaining the classics elsewhere. 

If Universal do ever open a new park I would pay top dollar to ride modernised versions of Jaws, BTTS, Earthquake and Kongfrontation.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Van Dammer said:

I'm not sure exactly why he is so keen on it staying because it is terrible, other than maybe his royalty cheques, but I am glad its still there. Part of me still wishes that Universal Studios became their Magic Kingdom park with originals staying intact and it being a bit of a retro park with slight updates and additions over the years. I suppose land-wise they dont have the luxuries that Disney have in being able to open and drastically expand newer parks to keep them modern whilst retaining the classics elsewhere. 

If Universal do ever open a new park I would pay top dollar to ride modernised versions of Jaws, BTTS, Earthquake and Kongfrontation.

I agree with your last sentence! I am not sure what it is with old Stevie S. I think he feels thay Universal Studios is a park they owe to him as things like Jaws and ET were some of it's signature rides, later you could add MiB, Back To The Future to that as well. I almost cried riding Kong: Skull Island as Kongfrontation was the first theme park ride I ever saw on TV and made me fall in love with Kong> I wanted to go on it so bad, but as my parents wouldnt fly, by the time I could go it closed. There is definetly room for a 3rd gate and they need to crack on with it sharpish as they are building my resorts and nothing is making the experience longer.  

Friday night we done 1 house and a 3 scarezones at HHN before turning in. Saturday did everything except Hogwarts (was down), ET, T2 and Rip Ride Rocket and got all the houses and both shows done at HHN with an express pass. Sunday, did Diagon Alley, train, Hogsmead, Skull Island, Jurassic Park, skipped Toon Lagoon, Spiderman, Hulk and Cat in the Hat before going back and finishing off Universal  (T2 needs to go, I was shocked at how bad it was now) and that was before 3pm! You can easily do it in a weekend

Oh man, Kongfrontation was to this day one of the most immersive rides ive ever been on. The streets of New York in the queue was amazing for me as a young kid and I can still remember the smell and noise of it. The Mummy is one of my favourite rides now though so it would be hypocritical to say it shouldnt have gone! T2 is a personal favourite of mine, I remember queuing an hour for that the year it opened and it being ground breaking at the time. As you say though, it has dated badly. If only theme parks spent money on modernising rides and attractions rather than just leaving them to age and become unpopular. 

Yeah, we are eyeing up doing the majority of rides in a day at both parks and going back one morning to finish off the remainder and re-ride any favourites. The fact that 3 hotels are in the process of being built or will start soon is a big sign of what they are planning. I still think it'll be 10 years before another gate opens though, but I hope im wrong. I mean, what angle could they really go with? Universal have crammed all of their IP's into their two parks and dont really have many left to work with unless they buy in.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Van Dammer said:

Oh  Universal have crammed all of their IP's into their two parks and dont really have many left to work with unless they buy in.

See Harry Potter. Infact, Island Of Adventure, minus Jurassic Park, is all bought in IP's. As is Terminator, Shrek (was until this year), Transformers, The Simpsons. So they have a lot that isn't there's already. The long standing rumour was they wanted LOTR but Tolken's estate kept turning them down

On 05/10/2017 at 7:08 PM, Nick Soapdish said:

See Harry Potter. Infact, Island Of Adventure, minus Jurassic Park, is all bought in IP's. As is Terminator, Shrek (was until this year), Transformers, The Simpsons. So they have a lot that isn't there's already. The long standing rumour was they wanted LOTR but Tolken's estate kept turning them down

Yeah true, it just feels like Disney have a never ending catalogue of potential IPs to use and continue to create new ones whereas Universal are struggling to get anything substantial off the ground these days. 

Admittedly Disney have bought alot of this in by buying our Lucas Film, Marvel etc. Them paying James Cameron for Avatar/Pandora still puzzles me, considering how many of their own IPs they could have used instead.

29 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

It was a knee-jerk to Potter.  They didn't have Star Wars at the time and they're hamstrung with Marvel in Florida.  They wanted something that was hot, but it ended up being years late.  I'd still be more interested in an Oliver and Company land than Pandora though.

True, I forget just how long its taken them to get that land done. By the sounds of it, its turned out great and they are talking about expanding it, but they must have wished they'd held out now given the success of the live action Jungle Book films and potentially Lion King and gone with those instead.

• Paid Members

if they had  know Lucas was going to offer up Lucasfilm in the near future, I'm sure Avatar would have been a no go. I know Pandora has had good reviews but it's taken far too long for what it's done and we're still 2 years away from a new Avatar movie. Pandora would have been Endor. Lots of rumours for a Zootopia/tropolis make over in AK as well now. Hopefully replacing that Dino land area. 

Are you aware that originally Animal Kingdom was going to be Beastly Kingdom before Eurodisney bombed. Budget cuts scrapped it and the imagineers working on that concept took it to universal where it was re-jigged and gave them duelling dragons?

Edited by Nick Soapdish

10 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

if they had  know Lucas was going to offer up Lucasfilm in the near future, I'm sure Avatar would have been a no go. I know Pandora has had good reviews but it's taken far too long for what it's done and we're still 2 years away from a new Avatar movie. Pandora would have been Endor. Lots of rumours for a Zootopia/tropolis make over in AK as well now. Hopefully replacing that Dino land area. 

Are you aware that originally Animal Kingdom was going to be Beastly Kingdom before Eurodisney bombed. Budget cuts scrapped it and the imagineers working on that concept took it to universal where it was re-jigged and gave them duelling dragons?

Beastly Kingdom was going to be a section of the park, ironically where Avatar stands today. The logo and car park area of Animal Kingdom still feature the Dragon as a nod to Beastly Kingdom. 

• Paid Members
On 10/2/2017 at 8:10 AM, johnnyboy said:

Is it not just sold out on your dates as they're running with a reduced room inventory as blocks are rehabbed?  It was available over Christmas 2018 when I was running some costing exercises over the weekend.

QS credits don't come with dessert any more.  They increased the number of snack credits on the dining plan to compensate and add a bit of flexibility, which we found useful for snacking around World Showcase.

Aw hence the 2 snack credits....As for pop. im looking to go in 1st october next year. Cant see it being sold out. Once the flights come i will ring them to find out. 

• Paid Members
On 10/7/2017 at 2:28 PM, quote the raven said:

Aw hence the 2 snack credits....As for pop. im looking to go in 1st october next year. Cant see it being sold out. Once the flights come i will ring them to find out. 

Pop is going through mass renovations at the moment. It may have something to do with that

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Pop is back on the website so my panic is over. 200 quid more than the all stars but worth it for the nice refurb rooms and not having to share buses. Will upgrade to the quick service plan. I also spoke to amazon about using amazon pantry to get smaller food items and water delivered to a Disney hotel. Seems not to be a problem. 

So i will have no need for a car at all as we are not doing Uni 

Then it will be alot of saving for when everything is finished at both uni and disney. Might be a 3 week job by then

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members

Im glad Disney allow this. 

While i understand them trying to keep you on site i would have hired the car for a day and gone shopping. then your mind starts to wonder about going to Uni for the day. 

My last big issue is to try and book a hotel for one night with views of castle fireworks, my son likes them but is unable to deal with the nose of them. Alas every attempt to get him to wear ear defenders has failed. 

So i guess thats the poly? or contemp? for a night