Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BigJag said:

They must have changed that. As when I went during WM21 week. It was definitely a coaster type ride. No loop de loops. Very fast though. It took you forward along the track at break. Neck speed. Then did the return journey in reverse. I had my eyes closed the whole time. I think I had wobbly legs afterwards too. Totally discombobulated.

Both the Orlando and Hollywood Mummy rides are in completely different sized buildings. Orlando was Kongfrontation and in Hollywood ET (much to Spielberg's annoyance which is why the Orlando one has survived). The Orlando was is much more exciting and fun then the tamer Hollywood version. There was also this which sounds more like the attraction you saw there Curse of the Mummy's Tomb which is now replaced by a crappy F&F attraction

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Revenge of the Mummy at Orlando is awesome. By far our favourite ride, we did it 10 times when we went back a few weeks ago.

I’d be interested in knowing what criteria Universal use when decidid which attractions stay and which ones get replaced. On the up side, Revenge of the Mummy is a brilliant ride. On the downside, it’s theming is from a franchise which had reasonably limited succcess almost 20 year’s ago.

I noticed in August that the exit ramp had new images of Tom Cruise from the new Mummy movie, which made me wonder if they were hoping that might be a huge deal and reinjuvinate the franchise. Sadly, the film was shit and tanked at the box office, so that doesn’t look like it’ll happen.

I’d hate to see the ride go, but if they used the space for something newer, I wouldn’t be surprised.

On a side note, we’ll be in Florida on Christmas Day. Is Universal worth doing on Christmas Day or is it packed/dead?

From what I understand Disney is very busy on Christmas Day so I'd expect universal to be similar.

to your other point, recently on the podcast we discussed both The Mummy and Men In Black and how you would think their days must be numbered due to the films ages and lack of new ones. The news a reboot of MiB in 2019 has saved that but the Mummy flopping has not helped that attraction. At the same time, what can they fill that space with?

their biggest franchise, Fast and Furious is finally getting an attraction (even if it should of be done a few years back) so that's out. The mummy is a huge building and I don't know what they could put in? 

For what it's worth I forgot how good The Mummy is, but still rate Kong, Spider-Man and Gringots better overall

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Kong is one of those rides I just don’t get. I know a few people that really rate it, but both me and the wife felt utterly underwhelmed by it when we rode it in April.

It wasn’t until we got home we realised how many people liked it and it left us scratching our heads a bit.

Still gutted Duelling Dragons/Dragon Challenge has gone though :(

It's probably the best 3D I have ever seen in a ride. The depth of the jungle is spectacular. Plus animatronics! I also really liked Gringots even though it is not as beloved as Forbidden Journey which made me go green this time but never had before

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I thought the 3D was good, but as the screens are so huge and so close, the image seems a bit washed out at times. There’s also an awful lot going on, so often I found myself not knowing where to look. 

I found the 3D and image quality of Jimmy Fallon to be the best in the park.

All that said, it’s not that I didn’t enjoy Kong but it didn’t blow me away. I’d definitely do it again though.

Fallon was a lot better then it had any right to be. The whole experience was great with the history, live entertainment, clips, just well done. And the ride was pretty good too,

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Best 3D I saw there was the Dispicable Me ride.  Queued for ages, and didn’t fancy it, but it turned out amazing.

quite similar to Fallon, but I think Fallon edges it.

And seriously what is up with Universal and every ride spraying water in your face? I think only Hulk, Forbidden Journey, Jurassic Park and the other log flumes were the only attractions not to do it. It's like they are obsessed (even happened in a few of the Horror houses this year for HHN)

• Paid Members

The Fallon ride was tremendously disappointing. I can’t believe it’s been hyped so much. The holding rooms before the ride were better than the ride itself. My mate and I thought it was unbelievably shit and definitely won’t bother with it in the future. It didn’t even feel like you were ‘riding with Jimmy’ and felt like you were just being jiggled around a bit while watching TV. At least with Despicable Me you do get the feeling you’re in the Minions’ World and can suspend your belief of where you really are. Didn’t remotely get that feeling with Fallon.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

And seriously what is up with Universal and every ride spraying water in your face? I think only Hulk, Forbidden Journey, Jurassic Park and the other log flumes were the only attractions not to do it. It's like they are obsessed (even happened in a few of the Horror houses this year for HHN)

Wait till Bukaki World opens....

• Paid Members

I very rarely do this, but if you want to hear me swear and my mate scream, I have uploaded a few recordings  of the audio from the houses of this years Halloween Horror Nights. You can search for Universal After Dark episode 34 on your podcast app of choice or listen here http://universalafterdark.libsyn.com/

On 29/09/2017 at 1:14 PM, Nick Soapdish said:

Has anyone done Halloween Horror Nights? Just come back from my first and really enjoyed it

Never done it and decided against it when were there in just under a month. Its probably great and I know some people really love it, but from the videos ive seen it looks like cheap/jump scares in admittedly very impressive looking sets. I was really on the fence about whether to go and decided that the cost on top of all the other tickets increasing quite a lot this year that it wasnt worth it. Also a big factor was that it seems if you only go for one night (which is all we would be there for on a HHN night, then you pay well over the odds compared to the frequent fear pass and might not necesarily get alot of the stuff done without a FOLP.

On 03/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, Nick Soapdish said:

quite similar to Fallon, but I think Fallon edges it.

Im intrigued to see Universal this year and whether it feels like screen overkill. It seems like every new ride is just screen based now and since I was last there Gringotts, Kong and Fallon have opened that are atleast part screen based. Add to the fact that alot of rides feel a bit dated quality wise due to general advancements im kind of looking forward to Disney parks a bit more this year to get to experience more physical rides and less simulation.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Van Dammer said:

Never done it and decided against it when were there in just under a month. Its probably great and I know some people really love it, but from the videos ive seen it looks like cheap/jump scares in admittedly very impressive looking sets. I was really on the fence about whether to go and decided that the cost on top of all the other tickets increasing quite a lot this year that it wasnt worth it. Also a big factor was that it seems if you only go for one night (which is all we would be there for on a HHN night, then you pay well over the odds compared to the frequent fear pass and might not necesarily get alot of the stuff done without a FOLP.

Burger King and Coke both do reduced tickets. All you need is a code which I'm sure people of FB groups can help with. We got rush of fear as we were there the 2nd weekend. Also the Express Pass is 50% off after 10 on nights it closes at 1am or 11 if it closes at 2. We did stay and scream and got 3 houses done before the event opened to the public. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Van Dammer said:

Im intrigued to see Universal this year and whether it feels like screen overkill. It seems like every new ride is just screen based now and since I was last there Gringotts, Kong and Fallon have opened that are atleast part screen based. Add to the fact that alot of rides feel a bit dated quality wise due to general advancements im kind of looking forward to Disney parks a bit more this year to get to experience more physical rides and less simulation.

I know what you mean but they are so well done. I enjoyed it a lot more then I expected and this was my first trip in 7 years

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

I’m intrigued to learn what the new Harry Potter ride is like that’ll replace Dragon Challenge. It was such an awesome coaster, it’s replacement has got to be at least as good but I fear it might not be.

I saw a photo of some red track laying crumpled on the ground earlier and it seems such a waste :(

Yeah you could see it being dismantled when I was there the other week. Never got to go on it, was too scared last time. Though I finally managed to go on The Hulk. I think it maybe an indoor attraction 

The new Fast and Furious attraction building, replacing Beetlejuice and Earthquake is up. Looks huge and opens next year