Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

I've been looking at places to eat in Orlando - something a bit different. I saw that a lot of Disney hotels do the campfire evenings with entertainment and roasting marshmallows and stuff. Do you have to be staying at one of the hotels to do that?

Edited by Monkee

This is probably a stupid question, but is Universal Studios (Orlando) noticeably busier on a Sunday than a Monday?

I mean I'd always assume that to be the case at Alton Towers or Chessington, etc, but I'm wondering if the greater distances at play in the States might deter people from considering it a casual weekend activity.

I used to think not, as weekends used to be the 'changeover days' back in the package holiday days. Tourists would typically be arriving and returning home at the weekends and the parks would be fairly quiet. Thats not the case now though and they are definitely busier on a Sunday than a Monday, how noticeable that is would depend on when youre going.

• Paid Members

I've been looking at places to eat in Orlando - something a bit different. I saw that a lot of Disney hotels do the campfire evenings with entertainment and roasting marshmallows and stuff. Do you have to be staying at one of the hotels to do that?

No. We did a great one that included a movie sat on the beach. Might have knocked that on the head due to the tragedy last year, but the campfires are still going. You just find out where the are and turn up. Really fun.

• Paid Members

I'm now only 5 weeks away rom my first trip to America, let alone the parks in Orlando.

When I'm at Universal and I want to treat Mrs DJ to a tin of cola, are the vendors likely to take debit/conctactless/Apple Pay or will I need coins in my fanny pack?

Chip no pin had only just come into the commonality when we went in 2014, so I think contactless may not be a regular thing yet.

No tins in the parks, only bottles, and why bother with Coke when you have wonderful creations like Rootbeer and Sierra Mist? You can also get freestyle Coke machines where you can muster a veritable cocktail of fizzy goodness.

• Paid Members

Bought my Disney tickets yesterday! 14-day unlimited with free Memory Maker. Florida (and Atlanta) is all I can think about right now.

It's all I think about most days. Can't wait to return one day. Awesome place with awesome people.

Otto, continuing the chat on #eatclean on here so Butch doesn't have a bitchfit, there are some cracking eateries near where you are staying. If you fancy some American style Chinese, Panda Express are just across the road, Orange Chicken being quite amazing. Also across the road is Perkins, which is a bit more expensive than IHOP or Denny's, but much nicer (not that Denny's or IHOP are crap, they are amazing). 10 minutes walk down I-Drive you have got the Lonhorn Steak House. The greatest steak I have ever tasted, just bliss. Loads of good eateries on that stretch. If your a sweet pie fan, the Village Inn just north of sea world (the I-trolley stops outside it) is amazing. Good diner meals and breakfasts too. You will return a fat, but happy man.

• Paid Members

Bought my Disney tickets yesterday! 14-day unlimited with free Memory Maker. Florida (and Atlanta) is all I can think about right now.

It's all I think about most days. Can't wait to return one day. Awesome place with awesome people.

Otto, continuing the chat on #eatclean on here so Butch doesn't have a bitchfit, there are some cracking eateries near where you are staying. If you fancy some American style Chinese, Panda Express are just across the road, Orange Chicken being quite amazing. Also across the road is Perkins, which is a bit more expensive than IHOP or Denny's, but much nicer (not that Denny's or IHOP are crap, they are amazing). 10 minutes walk down I-Drive you have got the Lonhorn Steak House. The greatest steak I have ever tasted, just bliss. Loads of good eateries on that stretch. If your a sweet pie fan, the Village Inn just north of sea world (the I-trolley stops outside it) is amazing. Good diner meals and breakfasts too. You will return a fat, but happy man.

No love for Texas De Brazil? The original rodrizio all you can eat meat and the best. Pricey and a bit formal but oh so worth it.

Wendy's and Popeyes are also both on idrive. In fact, most of the big chains are

• Paid Members

Last time we were there we went to Fogo de Chão (Rodizio but billed as 'Brazilian steakhouse') on I-Drive and it's fantastic - one of the best rodizios I've been to. Looking forward to going back. I signed up to their newsletter and got a $15 voucher but it expires on 24 March which is annoying as we don't get there until May/June.

Also, we went to Seasons 52 a couple of years ago. It rotates its menu according to what's in season. It's expensive but really good food.

Edited by Monkee

• Awards Moderator

Also, we went to Seasons 52 a couple of years ago. It rotates its menu according to what's in season.

I'm baffled by this being a feature. This is what restaurants are supposed to do.

He's already scoped out the Popeyes!

Quite true :) Thanks for the additional recommendations, I'll be budgeting for two meals a day (American portion sizes being what they are) so it really helps to have some choices already illustrated for me. I'm a huge carnivore so that steakhouse sounds a great shout and I first heard of orange chicken on the Big Bang Theory and Wendy's from Jim Cornette's shoot interviews so there's no way I'm not trying those.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz