Happy Reality TV Show Memories

IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

My favourite bit of Reality tv that most people don't remember when I talk about it was The Pilot Show. It was 50/50 getting Joe publics to believe they were on a reality show that didn't really exist and seeing what stupid shit they could get them to do, and pitching ideas for terrible reality shows to z listers.

Here's Dean Gaffney getting pitched 'the leaning tower of Gaffney', amongst other things:

Sadly I couldn't finda clip of my actual favourite bit from it, which was when they convinced a few people they were going into space, and had to pre record segments for the profound things that they wanted to be their message to the people of earth from space.

At least two contestants used this as an opportunity to get a dig in at someone over some petty personal beef they had.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not sure if this belongs in here or the documentary thread (happy to move if so), but does anyone remember this Channel 4 documentary Botton: Strangest Village in Britain? Incredible viewing at the time, and this thread triggered my memory.

It's about Botton, which is a village for people with learning disabilities and is just a fascinating watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKoVg8gZUDY

• Moderators

Im not sure if this belongs in here or the documentary thread (happy to move if so), but does anyone remember this Channel 4 documentary Botton: Strangest Village in Britain? Incredible viewing at the time, and this thread triggered my memory.

It's about Botton, which is a village for people with learning disabilities and is just a fascinating watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKoVg8gZUDY

There's a man in this who invents a new style of walking, and it always stuck with me as weirdly inspirational. There probably hasn't been a month where he hasn't popped into my head since I first saw it. I was thinking about it last week.

Yeah I just finished rewatching it and it was Whitby, cheers. Yeah I hope he's ok, what a lovely chap. His story of where he was born is amazing "Paddington Platform 9, where the gooseberrys and the biggest cat ever was"

EDIT: quick google search takes you onto a few forums and the most recent I can find is March 2015 and apparently he's still around which is good news!

• Paid Members

My favourite bit of Reality tv that most people don't remember when I talk about it was The Pilot Show. It was 50/50 getting Joe publics to believe they were on a reality show that didn't really exist and seeing what stupid shit they could get them to do, and pitching ideas for terrible reality shows to z listers.

Here's Dean Gaffney getting pitched 'the leaning tower of Gaffney', amongst other things:

Sadly I couldn't finda clip of my actual favourite bit from it, which was when they convinced a few people they were going into space, and had to pre record segments for the profound things that they wanted to be their message to the people of earth from space.

At least two contestants used this as an opportunity to get a dig in at someone over some petty personal beef they had.

That's another that I'll mention and rarely find anyone else that remembers it. There was one where they had Paul Dannan (obviously) offering money to members of the public to do something outrageous. They fed him a bunch of stooges who went over the top (one picked up some dog shit and stuck it on a woman's coat) and left him to explain why.

• Paid Members

Loved the Botton documentary. I honestly would not have minded living there.

Loved Survivor. Still watch the US version, but am sorry ours didn't last more than 2 seasons. All we have to remind us is that dreadful woman who is one of the talking heads in channel 5 list shows.

• Paid Members

I remember Space Cadets hosted by Johnny Vaughan. The picked 12 members of the public to be the first ever "space tourists" and sent them to Russia to learn how to be cosmonauts and send them to space. A couple of them were actors there to make sure they did twig on as the whole thing was a big practical joke and they never even left UK I don't think. 

It got loads of stick when it first came out by people saying it was mean to the people who took part because they genuinely believed they were in space looking down at the Earth. I think Richard Osman was one of the guys who created it. 

Yeah, I remember that show. Seemed like a really dickhead premise for a show. People really thought they were going into space to "change their life" etc.

• Paid Members

I remember Space Cadets hosted by Johnny Vaughan. The picked 12 members of the public to be the first ever "space tourists" and sent them to Russia to learn how to be cosmonauts and send them to space. A couple of them were actors there to make sure they did twig on as the whole thing was a big practical joke and they never even left UK I don't think. 

It got loads of stick when it first came out by people saying it was mean to the people who took part because they genuinely believed they were in space looking down at the Earth. I think Richard Osman was one of the guys who created it. 

Yeah, I remember that show. Seemed like a really dickhead premise for a show. People really thought they were going into space to "change their life" etc.

Not as bad as 'Theres Something About Miriam'. Now that was a shitty idea for a show.

• Paid Members

Not as bad as 'Theres Something About Miriam'. Now that was a shitty idea for a show.

Had a feeling Sky1 aired that show because no "normal" TV channel would be touching it. Basically a bunch of guys all fight for a date with Miriam, then you have the "Crying Game" moment with less cocks flying in your face.

Archived