Happy Reality TV Show Memories

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I remember Space Cadets hosted by Johnny Vaughan. The picked 12 members of the public to be the first ever "space tourists" and sent them to Russia to learn how to be cosmonauts and send them to space. A couple of them were actors there to make sure they did twig on as the whole thing was a big practical joke and they never even left UK I don't think.

It got loads of stick when it first came out by people saying it was mean to the people who took part because they genuinely believed they were in space looking down at the Earth. I think Richard Osman was one of the guys who created it.

The reveal at the end of the last episode couldn't have been more anticlimactic if they'd tried. The effort they went into to build up the illusion, only for the pay off to be Vaughan to be stood behind the door going, "Guess what? You're not really in space!"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also make sure you catch the German film Das Experiment, a film also based on Stanford, from the same guy who directed Downfall. Brilliant film.

Yep, excellent film.

A mate of my brothers was one of the guards on The Experiment, he said he cant explain how mental the whole thing was.  The way it became so quickly a them and us scenario caught him by surprise.  He didn't realise it had until everyone was in too deep to return.

Kings of Comedy: Big Brother, but for comedians in which they had to do various gig based tasks (eg perform for kids/OAPs). Staring Stan Boardman, Mick Miller, Boothby Graffoe and Ava Vidal. This was something that could have been alright, but it was a mess. I remember Boothby Graffoe slamming back wine and winging that Stan Boardman was getting favourable audiences. I had never met another person who saw it until I met my current girlfriend, though it wasn't a factor in us getting together. 

I have vague memoires of that show. The main thing I recall was that Boothby Graffoe seemed to be on course to win the whole thing (was there even a prize?) and then one episode it was announced that he’d left, but I don’t think they went into too much detail as to why. After that I didn’t see him on much for a while and then he popped up on Stewart Lee’s Alternative Comedy Experience a couple of years ago, I was glad to see he was still going.

• Paid Members

They did a good few series of The Mole on American TV presented by Anderson Cooper. It was a great show.

Anybody remember Beauty & The Geek?

• Paid Members

There Something About Miriam was worth watching too, really felt for Miriam at the end.

Apparently some of the contestants grouped together and sued the makers of the show before it went to air.

There Something About Miriam was worth watching too, really felt for Miriam at the end.

Apparently some of the contestants grouped together and sued the makers of the show before it went to air.
They did, that's why it took so long to broadcast. It is safe to say that Branquefurter wasn't one of the plaintiffs.

That's basically a bat signal for Branquey.

That Alison off BB is one of my all time hated contestants. IRL I have this thing where I tend to hate really nice bubbly people who everyone likes. She is the archetype of that person. That clip where she breaks a fucking table should have been a wake up call but instead she's like "I'm happy the way I am and if you don't like it that's your problem. " She's going to die young.

Archived