Happy Reality TV Show Memories

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Someone mentioned Shattered in the other thread, I'm the other person who watched it. The only thing I remember from it was the fact that you fart loads when you're tired, something I have observed since. 

On the other forgotten series' that I wanted in their entirety for some reason front:

Prison Break (Channel 5) A load of people have to escape a prison. This was really soon after the first series of Big Brother and people were throwing any old shit at the wall. I dimly remember something called The Mole? 

Kings of Comedy: Big Brother, but for comedians in which they had to do various gig based tasks (eg perform for kids/OAPs). Staring Stan Boardman, Mick Miller, Boothby Graffoe and Ava Vidal. This was something that could have been alright, but it was a mess. I remember Boothby Graffoe slamming back wine and winging that Stan Boardman was getting favourable audiences. I had never met another person who saw it until I met my current girlfriend, though it wasn't a factor in us getting together. 

Kings of Comedy: Big Brother, but for comedians in which they had to do various gig based tasks (eg perform for kids/OAPs). Staring Stan Boardman, Mick Miller, Boothby Graffoe and Ava Vidal. This was something that could have been alright, but it was a mess. I remember Boothby Graffoe slamming back wine and winging that Stan Boardman was getting favourable audiences. I had never met another person who saw it until I met my current girlfriend, though it wasn't a factor in us getting together. 

I saw this but had completely forgotten about it.  As has everyone else apparently, it's Wiki page doesn't even have air dates!  Apparently Andrew Maxwell won but I couldn't even remember him being on it.  In fact, other the Boardman, I couldn't tell you who else was even on it.

Stan Boardman.  There's a guy who I'd like to see in BB. 

Does Ladette to Lady count, or is that too contrived even for us?  Rosemary Shrager getting angry is one of the best reality tv things i've ever seen.  Loved her after this show!

• Paid Members

The Mole was absolutely cracking, as reality TV was hitting it's stride I was really surprised it neve got another series.

Prison Break was also good stuff.

On Prison Break, does anyone else remember a show where than ran the Stanford Prison Experiment? All about the effects of others getting power and how long it would potentially take the 'Prisoners' to overrun the guards?

Prison Break was amazing. I couldn't believe they didn't bring it back for a second series. I'm sure the winner went on to compete in the UK version of Survivor.

A big shout out to Dean Gaffney's first ever Bushtucker Trial on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. Showing why he is Britain's Most Well Loved Soap Star, The Gaff shown true courage and bravery. Plus eleven years on, it's still the funniest Bushtucker Trial of all time. 

I recall John McCririck having a meltdown because his Diet Coke got left off the shopping list and Pete Burns' gorilla fur coat. I think Big Brother 8 was the last one everyone really watched because I don't think many really bothered with the next series. BB7 that Pete won would have given the Internet Meme creators a field day. And I can't believe that was over 10 years ago already.

• Moderators

On Prison Break, does anyone else remember a show where than ran the Stanford Prison Experiment? All about the effects of others getting power and how long it would potentially take the 'Prisoners' to overrun the guards?

That was an incredible show. It aired right when reality TV was still being viewed as a 'social experiment', so was yet to be built around exploitation and forcing moments, and just let things happen of their own accord.

There were loads of memorable bits in it. There was one of those hardcore evangelical Christians, who used to be a crackhead, but had now seen the light and was preaching the good word as a youth worker, who'd been cast as one of the prisoners. Within about a day, he'd reverted back to type, and was rebelling against the guards, destroying the set, and generally stirring up loads of shit in a very un-Jesusy way. At one point, near the end, one of the quiestest prisoners, a soft-spoken Geordie, stood up in the middle of lunch and suddenly delivered an amazing monologue. I don't think he'd even spoken on camera at this point, but he went round one by one, explaining who was a cunt, and why. "You're a cunt. I'm sorry, but you are. You're a cunt. And he's a cunt. And 'im over there, he's a cunt an' all." In my memory, it went on for ages, and the word 'cunt' was said about 100 times.

About 3 days in, the ex-crackhead youth pastor Charles Mansoned the prisoners into rioting, breaking into the guards room and taking it over, with some of the guards being held as hostages, with a horrible sense that things could genuinely become violent. They may have even been welding brooms as weapons, but I might be getting confused with the SPE films. Order was eventually restored, but one of the guards -- a really quiet IT manager-looking type -- had clearly had a complete mental breakdown over the takeover, and I still remember the slow zoom, as a meeting went on around him the next morning, and he was sat at his desk, putting his head down flat on the table, and repeatedly licking a blank piece of A4, his eyes completely vacant.

It's a crime it's never been repeated, because I remember it as genuinely fascinating. Things broke down really, really quickly. The only place it's available is on the BBC website for educational purposes, about £150 for a VHS copy of each episode.

I remember Space Cadets hosted by Johnny Vaughan. The picked 12 members of the public to be the first ever "space tourists" and sent them to Russia to learn how to be cosmonauts and send them to space. A couple of them were actors there to make sure they did twig on as the whole thing was a big practical joke and they never even left UK I don't think. 

It got loads of stick when it first came out by people saying it was mean to the people who took part because they genuinely believed they were in space looking down at the Earth. I think Richard Osman was one of the guys who created it. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, The Experiment, it's on YouTube. I recommend it to anyone that's not seen it.

The fact the experiment only lasted 3 days before it was stopped but you get 5 hours of fantastic telly out of it tells you the story of how good it was.

I shall be watching it as soon as I can.

Archived