UFC 209: Woodley vs Wonderboy 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This is NEXT WEEK! For some reason I thought it was further away than that.

Khabib and Ferguson bickering on the conference call this week;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=eTs7Fmlh1cw

Pretty difficult to listen to. It's bad enough them constantly talking over each other but that fucking woman in the background keep piping up and laughing and stuff doesn't help. Ferguson's trash talk is awful. It's like he went to the Tito Ortiz school of shit talking. "Did you say you're gonna break my arm? Dude, I love holding my baby so you ain't breaking shit". What the fuck is that? I love Khabib's broken English patter though. And it's refreshing that he doesn't shout and scream like most fighters on these things do. I felt like he hit a nerve when he said Ferguson tried to price himself out of this fight as well because as soon as he said that Ferguson started getting all angry and shouting over him constantly like he didn't want anyone to hear what Khabib was saying. I don't think it's that he's scared of Khabib particularly, but I do think he'd have preferred to swerve this fight if he could.

I really hope Khabib wrecks this jug eared berk. Not only because I can't stomach Ferguson, but I think McGregor vs Khabib is a more interesting fight. In fact, I'd say that right now it's the most fascinating matchup in MMA.

How do you lot see this fight going? I'm definitely leaning towards Khabib but I'm not sleeping on Ferguson. I could see him possibly surprising Khabib. There's a few things that are making me unsure about it.

1) Khabib's never gone 5 rounds. Ferguson went the distance against RDA and was able to maintain his pace throughout. That was in Mexico as well with the high altitude. Not saying Khabib won't be able to hang. He's never looked close to gassing in a fight yet. But it remains to be seen and with the relentless pace he puts out you wonder how he'll do in the championship rounds.

2) Khabib's never faced a striker as unpredictable and varied Ferguson. If you look at Khabib's record pretty much everyone he's faced has had a standard Thai style or was a boxer/wrestler.

3) Khabib's never faced someone who's as active and threatening with submissions as Ferguson. This might be the most important one. I don't think it's likely Ferguson catches Khabib in a sub. But Ferguson is always going for them and if he can't catch you in one he'll at least use his sub attempt to get back to his feet, or open you up for elbows from the bottom. He's not just going to try one thing and if it fails he gives up. He chains sub attempts together and mixes in strikes all the time.

It's a really really intriguing clash of styles. Like I said I do think Khabib wins. I don't think he's unbeatable, nobody is, but I think he's got the tools to shut a lot of Fergie's weapons down. But as I've said above, I do think Ferguson is by far the trickiest test Khabib will have been faced with yet. I think he has a style that could ask some questions of Khabib at least.

• Paid Members

I'll forever be on team "I'm really Cowboy", but have no idea how this will go down. I'm very interested to see if an accomplished NCWA wrestler, like Ferguson, can handle the sort of heat Khabib brings into a fight. Even if Khabib manages to get Ferguson down, Ferguson loves a choke and, in no time, could have Khabib caught. Khabib needs to put the work in, should he get top position, because so long as the fight is standing he's at a heavy disadvantage against a creative striker like Ferguson; Ferguson has never been knocked out during his career and can eat a sledgehammer to land his weapon (it's why a McGregor fight is interesting to me).

I think Ferguson has more weapons than Khabib, but no man or bear has found a way to stopped the lucrative Khabib WrestleFuck tour. If Khabib somehow can't, then he's done. Ferguson is a cock, but he's hard.

Also, surprised myself to find his is only a week away. Can't wait!

• Paid Members

I haven't watched it but whatever Robin Black said on his breakdown of Khabib vs Ferguson has led to Khabib blocking him on twitter. He's a touchy sod, isn't he? Still wondering what the fuck he was on about in that bizarre Helwani interview before UFC 205.

Oh and I'm really hoping Hunt lays Overeem out. Fuck Overeem. I've picked Hunt by KO in the poll but it's mostly wishful thinking. I'm 50/50 on it. Both lethal strikers but there's the x-factors of Overeem having submitted him before, plus Hunt's dispute with the UFC possibly being a distraction. And on the other side, there's Overeem's dodgy chin. Hunt can knock your face off even if your chin is granite (ask Roy Nelson). If you're chinny and going into the cage with Mark Hunt you've really got to be careful.

• Paid Members

I think Overeem wins this, simply because he's demonstrated he can fight tactically and out-point opponents when he needs to. Even if his own ego doesn't allow him to recognise his own glass jaw, I can't imagine that he doesn't realise how dangerous it is to stand and bang with Hunt, even as a striker with his level of ability, so I reckon he'll probably take the technical boxing route, instead of head-hunting.

• Paid Members

He should do and you'd think he will but chances are at some point Hunt connects with something. The first fight was over so quick that Hunt's power wasn't really a factor. I think for Overeem to win this he needs another quick finish like that. Because even if he adopts a hit and move strategy, the chances of getting through a fight with Hunt and not getting hit at all are very slim. I think if Hunt lands a meaty shot on Overeem early, then Overeem will either be sleeping or if he survives it he'll panic and start running like he did against Miocic.

I think we might actually see Overeem going for takedowns a lot like he did in the first two rounds vs Bigfoot. Then again, shoot for takedowns on Hunt and you run the risk of ducking into that uppercut.

Like with most heavyweight fights, this is a bit of a shot in the dark. This one is even more of a mystery because we don't know where either guy's head is at. Hunt's not happy and Overeem's coming off a knockout loss to Miocic where he failed to win that elusive UFC title PLUS looked like a wally post-fight by claiming Stipe tapped, only for the replay footage to show otherwise. Overeem was on a nice run of wins prior to that but he was on a bad run of losses just before that. I'm not convinced that Overeem's problems in the past aren't still an issue. But there's enough question marks on both of these guys at the moment that you can't really be confident in a result one way or the other. Whoever gets off to a good start probably takes it.

And I say give the Black Beast the winner. He's coming off a big KO win over Travis Browne. A fight with either of these two is a logical next step IMO. Lewis vs Overeem would beef up one of the summer PPVs nicely. And Lewis vs Hunt...fucking hell it's Lewis vs Hunt! Who wouldn't be up for that?

• Paid Members

• Paid Members

Since we are at fight week it seems Rashad Evans has been cleared to fight this time. God knows what was showing up on his scans to be taken off the past 2 cards he's been on.

I'm fascinated to see what type of fighter we get with him cutting to 185llbs. Ordinarily I would have liked to have seen him go back to his wrestling roots, yet going up against a judoka may skupper that one. 

Here's a recent photo of him in great shape leading into the fight. It's in instragram so it's a direct link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ-5kgijR46/

Archived