Wrestling things that annoy

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

What about the bit where the ref's distracted and someone gets hit with a chair? Your eyes might be distracted, but you can hear a chair shot for sure.

Or all those fans chanting "holy shit"

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

VENTOORAH used to say he can't call it if he didn't see it.

And it might have just been a fat lad snapping his commemorative chair at ringside.

Which makes the Eddy Guerrero cheat of handing his opponent a chair and then going down like Rivaldo in a breeze as the ref turns around even more infuriating.

But it's wrestling, so consistency be damned.

• Paid Members

But surely in that instance the ref CAN see something, the evidence of the chair and the downed opponent. Whereas something he doesn't physically witness, or see evidence of he can't call? I'm not saying it's not a flaw, but I suppose the intention is you suspend your disbelief and go with the notion that it's so loud in the arena that the ref doesn't hear the chairshot.

• Paid Members

But surely in that instance the ref CAN see something, the evidence of the chair and the downed opponent. Whereas something he doesn't physically witness, or see evidence of he can't call? I'm not saying it's not a flaw, but I suppose the intention is you suspend your disbelief and go with the notion that it's so loud in the arena that the ref doesn't hear the chairshot.

No, because he doesn't see the actual strike. There have been plenty of occasions where someone hit a chair-shot, threw the chair down, the ref turns around and sees the chair and downed opponent, but then proceeds to count the pin with a look of confusion on his face. That's usually when the heel commentator says "He can't call it if he didn't see it". In fact, in kayfabe, one could argue that the whole point of the "don't see, don't call" rule is to stop guys like Guerrero using that cheat.

One that always irritated me is weapons doing different amounts of damage in different matches. It's more of an Attitude era gripe because it was more prolific then but for instance a single chair shot or hit to the head with a title belt would be enough to knock someone out in a normal match to get the three count. As soon as it's labelled a streetfight, no holds barred, I Quit or hardcore match it's ten chair shots, a sledgehammer to the stomach and hitting them with a golf cart before they stay down.

One that always irritated me is weapons doing different amounts of damage in different matches. It's more of an Attitude era gripe because it was more prolific then but for instance a single chair shot or hit to the head with a title belt would be enough to knock someone out in a normal match to get the three count. As soon as it's labelled a streetfight, no holds barred, I Quit or hardcore match it's ten chair shots, a sledgehammer to the stomach and hitting them with a golf cart before they stay down.

Must admit, this has long being a gripe of mine about Seth turning on the Shield. one chair shot to the back and Reigns went down and stayed down like he'd been knocked unconcious. it was absurd.

I've kind of always justified that by the whole boxing 'didn't see it coming' thing. Most boxing knockouts happen when a fighter doesn't see the punch coming so in wrestling a chair shot would be less severe if unexpected than if you are braced for it. Plus most chairshots nowadays get partially blocked for safety.

Two things really annoy me about Survivor Series elimination matches. First is how quickly the first half of eliminations usually take place. Watching wrestlers who can normally survive 10+ minute matches suddenly being taken out after just a couple of moves is both stupid and makes them look shit. Second annoyance is where neither team bothers to try and break pins until there's 5 or less people left. It annoys the fuck out of me when the wrestlers just stand there and watch their team mates get pinned, especially as there's no rule preventing them and suddenly they're desperately trying to break pins when they're down to the final few.

One that annoyed me during the last Elimination Chamber PPV, where the tag and IC titles were up for grabs - people breaking up pins in the Chamber. This happened three or four times during the course of the show - why? It doesn't matter who gets pinned or who scores the pin, so why break it up?

And wrestlers clearly watching the TitanTron during a match.

I liked Bret's strange use of 'the' before words  :thumbsup:

He used to say "in the Summerslam" 

It's always annoyed me how a face will run to the ring to confront a heel, the heel will back off and exit the ring and then the face will just stand there bouncing around on the ropes shouting at the heel as if he can't possibly just exit the ring himself and go after him. It takes away the intensity when they do that. Like "I want to fight you but not so much that I'm willing to chase you up the ramp" 

Archived