Wrestling things that annoy

mikehoncho

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The NWA seem to fall out with everyone they associate with. It wasn't long after NWA Fight Nation started up over here that they decided to part ways. I'd hazard a guess that it's because the NWA probably still charge to be franchised with them, and the promoter eventually realises it's just not worth the cash.

The NWA seem to fall out with everyone they associate with. It wasn't long after NWA Fight Nation started up over here that they decided to part ways. I'd hazard a guess that it's because the NWA probably still charge to be franchised with them, and the promoter eventually realises it's just not worth the cash.

Yep.

It's still a cartel at it's core.  Deposits for the belt still being taken, expectations on champions to defend wherever the "committee" say so is still expected, & so on ... the model hasn't changed, despite the membership having had several changes.  Dinosaur ... ?

• Paid Members

I used to hate the set up for the 619. The way it was only ever in matches with Mysterio that guys would end up draped over the middle rope.

It's the sort of thing that would work now and then as a special attraction but looks odd when used so often.

Like how everyone suddenly tries to powerbomb Kidman. As a reversal to a powerbomb its good. As a contrived way into a face buster it's a bit crap.

The finish happens and then the ref refuses to make the count because one of the wrestlers shoulders is ever so slightly off the mat in a way that nobody in the live audience can tell, thus forcing the wrestlers to re-adjust themselves slightly so the ref can make the count "properly".

It's a fucking work, just make the fucking count and nobody has to know!

Speaking of three counts a number of wrestlers recently are starting to get up before the three count has been hit. Enzo Amore was guilty of this a couple of weeks ago. Between the 2 and 3 count he let go of his opponents leg and was halfway to standing up before the three count. Just stay down for a second longer you lazy bastard.

• Paid Members

This seems to be a Scottish wrestling thing at the moment - relentlessly kicking out of tombstones or pedigrees after having the absolute snot kicked out of them. Think Cena was bad? Check out Lionheart and co. Absolute death after a 20 minute kicking and you get up to boo the heels and in the time you've done that the bell's ringing. Unbelievably bad. WWE are bad for it yes, but the local stuff is laughable at times.

• Paid Members

Referees refusing to count pinfalls in tag matches when other team member is still in the ring. It's invariably when the face team are pinning the heel team but it doesn't get heat on the heels, it just gets heat on the ref and it's such an inconsistent rule that whenever it happens, it pisses me right off because it now highlights to me all the times when I see teams win matches with both guys in the ring.

Yep.

It's still a cartel at it's core.  Deposits for the belt still being taken, expectations on champions to defend wherever the "committee" say so is still expected, & so on ... the model hasn't changed, despite the membership having had several changes.  Dinosaur ... ?

We fantasy booked a whole scenario to resurrect the belt. After transitioning to someone with a bit of a name who would also be happy working with Tim Storm (eg. Colt Cabana) the belt ends up on Cody Rhodes. Who will do 'his father's legacy' style angle.

It would tie in nicely with the globe trotting 'I'm a wrestler now' thing he's doing right now and actually give the belt a little profile. 

This won't happen because NWA.

I used to hate the set up for the 619. The way it was only ever in matches with Mysterio that guys would end up draped over the middle rope.

It's the sort of thing that would work now and then as a special attraction but looks odd when used so often.

Like how everyone suddenly tries to powerbomb Kidman. As a reversal to a powerbomb its good. As a contrived way into a face buster it's a bit crap.

I hate that sort of thing, however as a kid I loved it when Owen Hart did the same set up for the enziguri and his opponent just held his leg while they waited for him to do the move.

I dislike the lack of power in finishing moves anymore. I understand you have to have false finishes now and again but no moves seem to be as strong as the Hogan leg drop, Perfectplex, Macho Man diving elbow, sharpshooter etc where it killed someone off so often on first attempt that it was a shock to recover from. Instead of trying to get out of a wrestler applying the move and escaping it is you can do that move it won't hurt unless you do it 3 or 4 times.

• Paid Members

The Perfectplex never struck me as particularly powerful; I always had it down as being a super-technical finisher, i.e. that once you were in it, you just couldn't get out of it.

Also, I'd argue the F5, the FU/AA (when Cena really lays it in) and the RKO look very powerful.

EDIT: Ah, I misunderstood. You mean that finishers aren't protected as much any more? If so, I agree.

I hate that sort of thing, however as a kid I loved it when Owen Hart did the same set up for the enziguri and his opponent just held his leg while they waited for him to do the move.

I dislike the lack of power in finishing moves anymore. I understand you have to have false finishes now and again but no moves seem to be as strong as the Hogan leg drop, Perfectplex, Macho Man diving elbow, sharpshooter etc where it killed someone off so often on first attempt that it was a shock to recover from. Instead of trying to get out of a wrestler applying the move and escaping it is you can do that move it won't hurt unless you do it 3 or 4 times.

That right there is why I'm not a big fan of Kurt Angle. It seems to be ankle lock, ankle lock with straps down, ankle lock with straps down plus grapevining the leg, etc is needed to get a man beat. It gets to the stage where it is not a false finish because Angle (and he is not alone in this) very, very rarely beats someone with 'just' an ankle lock.

The Perfectplex never struck me as particularly powerful; I always had it down as being a super-technical finisher, i.e. that once you were in it, you just couldn't get out of it.

Also, I'd argue the F5, the FU/AA (when Cena really lays it in) and the RKO look very powerful.

EDIT: Ah, I misunderstood. You mean that finishers aren't protected as much any more? If so, I agree.

Yeah, I probably picked a bad word. Protected is probably better.

• Paid Members

Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Rob Conway traded the NWA belt back and forth on a couple of New Japan shows back in 2015.

Archived