Wrestling things that annoy

mikehoncho

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

You must have never seen an Earl Hebner match. He makes today's lot look like masters of subtlety. Hebner is the worst. 

Harmie's massive hatred of Hebner rises again! Can we give you another review challenge and hand pick a bunch of matches where Hebby gets involved? Let's start with Hulk v Andre at Saturday Night's Main Event.

I disagree with @NoUseforaUsername, I like my refs to have characters (even names would be nice!).

I like my refs to have names and a bit of personality but for the most part to blend in to the background and only show character when it's needed. Nick Patrick was absolutely despised during the invasion and I remember (rose tinted glasses alert) watching to see how he'd cheat and be generally a shit without it ruining the overall match for me. I'd like it to be a bit like football where you know who the refs are and you know certain ones aren't as good as others or are more prone to missing things.

The one ref thing that really annoys me is when they do a bump, go face down with their arms crossed infront of them and you can visibly see them watching the action for the next spot.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

The one ref thing that really annoys me is when they do a bump, go face down with their arms crossed infront of them and you can visibly see them watching the action for the next spot.

In WWE, they tend to try and avoid this by not having the knocked out referee be the one to make the call now - they'll send down a replacement ref rather than having the original ref "recover", and I imagine part of the reasoning behind it is so this doesn't happen. Having been in that position many times myself, it's kind of unavoidable - unless you get one of the wrestlers to give you a cue, or come and try and "wake you up" when it's time, you still need to try and see what's happening.

Biggest annoyance for me, as I mentioned in the NXT thread, is the show opening angle where two guys get into an argument, and then the authority figure comes out and makes a match between them for later on. You're twenty minutes into a three hour live show, and you hadn't even booked a main event yet? What was going to main event if that hadn't happened?

Earl Hebner was one of the biggest culprits of something I hate from a referee and that’s an inconsistent cadence when it comes to counting the fall. If it was early in the match, Hebner would make the count real fast, but if it was coming up to the finish, he’d make a super slow count, and it would be a dead giveaway that the finish was coming up.

And what is it with Scott Armstrong and his arm seeming to spasm in between counts?

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

You're twenty minutes into a three hour live show, and you hadn't even booked a main event yet? What was going to main event if that hadn't happened?

Battle Royal and tombola, all proceeds going to Gavins Dogs Training Academy in Darlington.

7EE3E358-589E-44E1-837E-5F0BC2391EBA.jpeg

*babyface turns heel*

Ooh! Interesting! I wonder what the logic and reasoning is for this change of character?

*heel grabs mic*

"HAHA I DON'T HAVE TO JUSTIFY MYSELF TO ANY OF YOU STUPID PEOPLE! I'M DOING THIS FOR MYSELF, NOT ANY OF YOU HAHAH!"

Lazy booking 101.

The Heel/Face or Face/Heel Aspect that most annoys (well not really annoys as its Wrestling so its obvious to us why) but that just seems ridiculous is when a Face has been battling a heel for months and months and that rivalry ends but 6 months late the Face turns Heel and suddenly he is tagging in 6 man Tags or whatever with the Heel he battled for months and months all because they now get the same reaction from the crowd and all the past stuff is just forgotten about

One recent example was Aj and Dean Ambrose

They had that what must of been 4 month feud over on Smackdown this time last year yet last week on Raw they were happily teaming  together like nothing had ever happened between them just because both now gets cheers from the crowd

Like I said Its Wrestling so we don't really think nothing of it but imagine that in a real life situation it seems bizarre that people with such history would just happily team together and do a favour with no explanation as to why   

• Paid Members

The soft fade from a match to a backstage segment/interview and vice versa. Usually to someone standing there doing nothing waiting for their cue like a twat. Just do a fucking hard cut like you used to! It adds a sense of urgency and pace!

Not sure if it has been mentioned but top couple for me:

British Champion versus import "for the title" on Britwres shows. Because of course Keith Lee/ Tommy Dreamer/ Cody Rhodes is going to win your belt and come back next week to defend it.

Wrestlers being forced into non-title matches in the weeks before a big event to "wear them out" (cf. Progress road to Ally Pally). Just get the count-out and go home if you are that uninterested.

The callous locker rooms - when no-one comes out to help a good guy when he is getting the beating of his life from a team of heels at the end of a match.

Archived