Wrestling things that annoy

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

Given the amount of cheating and interference going on, the fact they don't have a second ref on the outside or TV replay. I know it's central to facilitating the part of the heel in the whole morality play, but wrestling is probably the only sport that's been more resistant to TV evidence than football.

Also, wrestlers whose style includes being able to run or jump up turnbuckles or crowd barriers, which are not (in kayfabe) designed to be easily climbed, are all of a sudden incapable of ascending a ladder (a tool designed specifically for the purpose of climbing) any faster than an arthritic tortoise.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Dean Ambrose staring at the ref and making it obvious he's about to kick out always irritates me and my friend

On the subject of Ambrose, I wish he'd stop doing that clothesline thing he does where i falls through the rope and bounces back.

First time I saw it, I thought it was great. But seeing it EVERY time he wrestles has made it a bit of a joke.

• Paid Members

Agreed. Was shit when Nigel McGuinness was doing it too. There are better ways of "loading up" a running move to make it look better - in fact, when he was Desmond Wolfe, he did a great corner-to-corner where he did that Johnny Saint thing of jump-stepping up the turnbuckle to make it look like he was getting up more momentum to hit the other corner faster:

• Paid Members

The rebound lariat has always been a move that must feel like it looks good when you're doing it but in reality looks shit for everyone watching.

I wouldn't mind it if he just did it occasionally, or even when the context of the match called for it. But he just seems to shoe horn it in, and 99% of the time it makes fuck all sense...

First time I saw it, I thought it was great. But seeing it EVERY time he wrestles has made it a bit of a joke.

You could, and should, apply that to almost every wrestler these days. Like why do wrestlers still stand there like lemons waiting for Tajiri to do his handspring back elbow when he's done it in almost every match he's had for the last 20 years? 

• Paid Members

You could, and should, apply that to almost every wrestler these days. Like why do wrestlers still stand there like lemons waiting for Tajiri to do his handspring back elbow when he's done it in almost every match he's had for the last 20 years? 

Your right, but for some reason Ambrose's clothesline really gets on my titts...

Oh...and add Tajiri's Tarantula to the list of things that wind me up...just don't see the point of it! 

Tuning up finishers. Hate it.

I put the responsibility at Michaels’ door mainly but he got away with it because he at least made the effort to incorporate selling of fatigue into it. Reigns and Orton are the dirt worst for this at the minute, especially as they have finishers that look way better when hit naturally. Sami Zayn’s Helluva kick too. Loads of indie guys do it so it’s not just a WWE thing.

Just because it's come up in another conversation. The NWA World title.

It's currently held by a 51 year old guy named Tim Storm. Now that's annoying.

why/when did they stop aligning with TNA. What a poor move for both parties that was.

Tuning up finishers. Hate it.

I put the responsibility at Michaels’ door mainly but he got away with it because he at least made the effort to incorporate selling of fatigue into it. Reigns and Orton are the dirt worst for this at the minute, especially as they have finishers that look way better when hit naturally. Sami Zayn’s Helluva kick too. Loads of indie guys do it so it’s not just a WWE thing.

So it's not the Halloumi Kick?

• Paid Members

Funnily enough, that Johnny Saint turnbuckle step is probably one of mine. It eliminates any sense of urgency to me. Contrast that to Bryan bombing it into the corner and out for his dropkicks, that's fifty times better looking.

For me, it's great because it feels like it's giving him more force, speed and power. The actual hit looks pretty brutal. But I get what you're saying regarding the urgency. Should be more a tag move, to cut out the wait time in between the whip and the step-up.

Archived