Greatest face turns

Evolution beatdown on Randy Orton after he beat Benoit for the belt was pretty good and solid.

Yeah not sure what the consensus is on this one but I liked the initial stuff a lot. Good character continuation with Orton spitting in the Game's face and running through the crowd. Yeah not a very babyface move but it worked cos it was great to see someone do that to HHH. I think it's a pity they didn't drag out that feud until Mania. I imagine if they kept Batista over as the mostly silent muscle, by Mania 22 time the fans would REALLY wanna see the thumbs down

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

As heavily telegraphed and ruined by Hogan getting massive face pops throughout the match in spite of his being booked as a heel as it was, I enjoyed the Hogan face turn after his match with Sting at Bound For Glory 2011. Sting's getting the beatdown from Immortal and begging for help, Hogan's all conflicted before he sees the light, rips his shirt off and steals the spotlight saves the day.

In other 1993 turns, Lex Luger's was terrible. There was no subtle turn or anything. One day he was the Narcissist, the next he was walking out of a helicoper with a USA polo shirt and cowboy boots.

But it goes to show that patriotism runs deep and, when push comes to hiptoss, a love for your country can bring out the best in everyone!

That heinous Japanese behemoth was denigrating America, and so the Narcissist looked in that three-piece mirror of his, then looked some more, and as he saw behind him the red sun rising high from the East, threatening to burn his proud nation to the ground, he knew what he had to do.

"I'll be your hero."

USA! USA! USA!

Evolution beatdown on Randy Orton after he beat Benoit for the belt was pretty good and solid.

Na this was a big mis-step which set Orton back years, and speaks to the OP's point that successful face turns need to be more complex than the standard beat-down heel turn. Why were we meant to like Randy Orton after he'd acted the prick for years to this point and taken the World title from hard working family man Chris Benoit? Because his fellow dickhead mates had decided he'd got too big for his boots? They were right as well - that was basically his whole character up to that point.

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure the main reason they booked Orton to get the belt was that Lesnar had just left acrimoniously, and they needed another young break-out from the same generation, not to mention they could have a current star be the youngest champion ever, breaking Lesnar's record that they'd hyped previously.

Randy Savage reuniting with Elizabeth and turning face in the process will always be the number one to me.

The logic behind it is strange though. He's now a good guy because his old Girlfriend came back to him when he was at the bottom of the barrel.

Still, it's the best ever.

Sherri was awesome in that too. Kicking him when he was down. Savage, selling, pleading with Sherri like 'Why?' and then Sherri kicking him again.

Just brilliant.

I don't think it's really possible to beat Batista's in truth. Reason being, it didn't just turn him face, it absolutely made him a star that nobody even comprehended him being before they first teased the turn.

He was the fourth wheel in Evolution, always got the least reaction of the bunch and never really showed much to care about or make you think he'd be a top guy. Then on one idle Raw before Survivor Series, Triple H left his belt on the couch and Batista picked it up and looked at it. The buzz in the crowd was nuts, and from then on they started the teases, they always added wrinkles to let you know Triple H was out for himself and scared of Batista. And you just knew what was going to happen, but it didn't matter, the journey was just fun because they would add clever little bits (HHH letting Orton pin Dave at Elimination Chamber was superb, Dave winning the Rumble and teasing picking HHH for a second until JBL pops up on the screen, etc) that delayed the inevitable. And when they finally pulled the trigger, it was in the perfect way with the thumbs down, full circle.

I can't emphasize enough just how Batista felt like one of the useless lugs of the era to me until that turn started. It was even funnier how they did everything opposite to how they treated Orton. One had all the momentum in the world, a poorly booked turn and he went from next top babyface prospect to ice cold. Batista went from little momentum to top superstar drawing a massive buyrate for Mania with an awesome storyline.

The Batista turn was done very well, a long slow turn that really did payoff. For me the parts that nailed it home were when Triple H/Flair beat up a legend (I cant recall who) and bragged about to Batista, only for the animal to play it off like it was stupid, even for a heel. It was something like "Isn't that guy like 60? That's not cool Hunter..." with 'tista walking away totally disappointed. That and that super cheese promo of Batista over hearing Triple H slagging him off in the dressing room. Proper gold!

Bit of a cloudy memory on the whole build up but Diesel's face turn on Shawn Michaels in late 1994 was decently done but its both their performances at Survivor Series that year which makes me remember it the most.

They had built it slowly but steadily over the the months leading up to the event with dissention in ranks starting with Michaels accidently costing Diesel his Intercontinental title at Summerslam 1994 with an errant superkick. It built further with Michaels doing it again in another match and saying that Diesel with nothing without him in an interview. By Survivor Series, Michaels was being a douche (Not hard for him given the timeframe.) and the seeds were planted during the entrance where Michaels runs in front of Diesel to show off/pose.

It continued on in the match with Michaels constantly in the ear of Diesel to which you can see the latter getting more and more pissed off. Diesel in his first action in the ring goes on to eliminate three opponents in quick succession. As the match draws to a close, a solitary Razor Ramon stands against Michaels, Diesel, Owen Hart, Jim Neidhart and Jeff Jarrett with Diesel getting the upper hand and ready to finish the match but no, Michaels wants the glory and whinges at Diesel to hold Razor up for a superkick. As you can guess Michaels once again plants it on Diesel who loses his shit and vies for Michaels blood. As a result Diesel floors the rest of his team who are trying to calm him down from chasing after Michaels and they all get counted out.

Forget what happened afterwards during Diesel's title run but that match, from the commentary, facials and the performances of the heel team was superb.

Danny Bryan re-turning face after those crap few weeks messing about with joining the Wyatts was quality. Best face turn in recent years by a mile. The crowd reaction when Bryan takes off the Wyatt overalls and begins to twat Bray with kicks was ridiculous.

Randy Savage reuniting with Elizabeth and turning face in the process will always be the number one to me.

The logic behind it is strange though. He's now a good guy because his old Girlfriend came back to him when he was at the bottom of the barrel.

Still, it's the best ever.

. This feels like the only real answer to this question. Just perfection.

Another that I really enjoyed at the time was Mankind's gradual turn over the spring/summer of 1997. It wasn't so much one event that did it. The combination of the Jim Ross interviews, the beating he took from HHH at KotR and the arrival of Dude Love all contributed to people getting behind him in a big way.

• Paid Members

Virgil turning on the Million Dollar Man is my favorite.

I saw the thread title and came to nominate this straight away. It was bloody perfect- it had been building for a while and had a swerve where you still thought he was going to bottle it again and bow to his master. Then BAM!- he twats him with the title and the crowd goes apeshit. That night, Virgil got a reaction that wrestlers these days would die for. It was incredible.

Can't find a video on YouTube sadly. Royal Rumble 91, yeah?

Virgil turning on the Million Dollar Man is my favorite.

I saw the thread title and came to nominate this straight away. It was bloody perfect- it had been building for a while and had a swerve where you still thought he was going to bottle it again and bow to his master. Then BAM!- he twats him with the title and the crowd goes apeshit. That night, Virgil got a reaction that wrestlers these days would die for. It was incredible.

Can't find a video on YouTube sadly. Royal Rumble 91, yeah?

Aye, at the Rumble after the Rhodes match. Just seen it.

• Paid Members

Yep me too. The emotion on Virgil's face change when Dibiase mentioned his family and mother was done brilliantly. This was do well booked and executed, that it gave a credible mid-card run for one of the worst wrestlers around. He was over for a bit after this.

Archived