The Kurt Angle Match Marathon

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Kezz_316 said:

Only on Insurrextion 2001, but it's an awesome read man! Got any similar threads like it or plans to?

Thanks! I did something similar for each of the Big Four PPVs - look for 'A Mania match a day', and then Summerslam, Survivor Seres and Royal Rumble 'match a day'. But this is the first/only time I've done it for a particular wrestler.

It occurs to me - should Kurt wrestle another match for WWE it's not going to be a throw away segment on Raw, but heavily built to on PPV/Network Special.

Now, if you are reviewing every Kurt Angle PPV match - does this mean you'd have to review his return match?

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Killjoy_Gee said:

It occurs to me - should Kurt wrestle another match for WWE it's not going to be a throw away segment on Raw, but heavily built to on PPV/Network Special.

Now, if you are reviewing every Kurt Angle PPV match - does this mean you'd have to review his return match?

I wouldn't have to, because it was done as a leadup to the HOF... but for the sake of completion, I probably would.

51 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I wouldn't have to, because it was done as a leadup to the HOF... but for the sake of completion, I probably would.

OCD for you - it's a pain!

Well - bar another match from Kurt, I have something to look forward too!! Seriously, great work here. Absolute highlight of the 'Mania season for me!

• 3 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

WWE have put out a 3-disc 'Kurt Angle: The Essential Collection'. The match listing includes a few gems I discovered during this project, a few matches where I've thought 'but that wasn't that good?' before realising this is more to do with his career progression than his best matches, and a few TV matches I didn't watch but might check out on the Network for the sake of completion.

Survivor Series 1999 vs. Shawn Stasiak

SmackDown 8/22000 vs. Val Venis 

No Way Out 2000 vs. Jericho - I get why this is on here, for the IC title win, but it's far from the best match they had. Rebellion 2001's where it's at.

KOTR 2000 vs. Rikishi

Raw, 7/8/2000 vs. Triple H and Jericho

No Mercy 2000 vs. The Rock

Survivor Series 2000 vs. Undertaker

Royal Rumble 2001 vs. Triple H - conspicuous by its absence is the Six Man Cell match. It's not strictly Kurt's match, I suppose but I'd still consider it the defining night of his first title reign.

KOTR 2001 vs. Shane McMahon

-

Unforgiven 2001 vs. Stone Cold - the Triple Threat with RVD was better, but WWE Title win and all that.

Backlash 2002 vs. Edge

SmackDown 30/5/2002 vs. Edge - this one's a Cage match that I don't think I even remember, so will definitely be checking it out

KOTR 2002 vs. Hogan

SmackDown 27/2/2002 vs. Cena

Vengeance 2002 vs. Rock and Undertaker 

Summerslam 2002 vs. Mysterio

Summerslam 2003 vs. Lesnar - makes sense, because there was a fuckload of Benoit in the year in between these two matches. And nobody almost died in the second Lesnar match like at Mania, so it's the better choice.

-

No Mercy 2003 vs. Cena

Summerslam 2004 vs. Eddie Guerrero

SmackDown 23/12/2004 with Luther Reigns vs. Eddie & Rey - this was a Tribute To The Troops show so I don't think I ever saw it at the time

Raw 3/10/2005 vs. Shawn Michaels (30 Min Iron Man match) - no recollection of this either!

Taboo Tuesday 1/11/2005 - vs. Shawn and Cena - YES! So pleased this one made the cut. An underappreciated classic.

ECW 27/6/2006 vs. RVD - don't remember this one, however. I can recall a three way with Sabu as well, but not Angle and RVD one on one. In fact I don't remember much of ECW until Big Show won the title... also it's odd that the Undertaker No Way Out match didn't make the cut. Is that because Kurt beat him?

Just in case anyone saw that DVD was out and wondered my thoughts!

Archived